Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help Me to Love My Vibrating V70 D5 - It should be a keeper!

Views : 2518

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2022, 22:56   #1
JayDubbleya

Default Help Me to Love My Vibrating V70 D5 - It should be a keeper!

I really need some help and advice to solve this problem.
I’ve read and acted on so many forum threads and yet still no solution.

Back in June ’21, I purchased a 2007, 1 owner, FVSH, V70 at just under 100k miles, good price.

I identified some engine vibration on viewing/test drive, and was confident that replacing an engine mount (or two!) would solve the problem.

Since then, I have carried out the following maintenance:
- Cam belt, water pump, aux belt & tensioner
- Front wishbones and droplinks (both sides)
- Couple of front tyres
- and slowly, one by one, all 5 engine mounts

Recently sailed through the MOT.
You could say I’m committed to the car now, having spent time and money keeping her fit.

The problem is…
It vibrates like a tractor under 1000rpm, to the extent that trickling in traffic, or standing still for any length of time, can induce nausea!

It’s worth mentioning that cruising at any kind of decent speed, the car is as smooth as silk. A fantastic and surprisingly economical mile-muncher, and a pleasure to be in.

Whilst I appreciate that the D5 diesel may bit a bit agricultural, I fail to believe that Volvo would have put the V70 D5 into mass production with such an obvious failing. So, optimistically, I continue to believe that there’s a solution to my problem.

What I’ve attempted so far…
Have replaced the engine mounts one by one over the months (in the following order), with decent quality (non-Volvo), replacement parts (i.e., not cheap as chips!)
1. Top engine mount
2. Lower front Transmission link/mount
3. Lower off-side mount
4. Front vacuum mount
5. Rear vacuum mount (had this one fitted by local reputable garage)

Each replacement has resulted in a small but perceptible improvement in vibration.
Strangely however, the final rear vacuum mount had the effect of (whilst v.slightly) improving things at standstill (in neutral or drive), making the vibration when shifting into reverse (at standstill holding on footbrake and whilst moving backwards), almost unbearable and this wasn’t an issue before fitting the last mount?!?!

Anyway, it just isn’t right and I’m approaching the end of my tether and have fallen out of love with what should be a fantastic 2nd hand buy.

I’ve tested both vacuum mounts (front and back) with a vacuum gauge and they hold pressure no issue (the previous/old units didn’t by the way).
I’ve tested the vacuum system for leaks following some of the advice on SiRobs YouTube channel (great resource - hat’s off!), and everything seems fine.

The engine itself doesn’t seen overly or problematically rough, but when you are in the cabin, at idle, you want to be anywhere but in the cabin!
Rev to over 1000 rpm, when the vacuum system cuts-out anyway, and everything is smooth.

One more thing, I do get the tug-boat, pop-pop sound with the oil cap off, which I understand indicates vacuum leakage, but as stated, my tests say otherwise.

If I can solve the low revs vibration, the car is a keeper and I have plenty of other upgrades and maintenance items that I’d like to get on with. However, I’m not prepared to spend anymore money on it if I can’t get to the bottom of this. It’s spoiling my first Volvo ownership experience, but hopefully there’ll be a simple fix.

I’m hoping that a member here who’s experienced and resolved the same issue will be able to help me.

Thanks in advance for any advice from the Volvo experts here.

JW
JayDubbleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 02:25   #2
zoidberg
Master Member

If it's a manual then suspect it might be the fly wheel/clutch.
zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zoidberg For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 06:09   #3
StaffsS60

Second for Zoidberg’s suggestion- sounds like my wife’s mondeo before the dmf gave up on it. Does it ever seem a little sluggish to start?
StaffsS60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 07:33   #4
Mattye

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDubbleya View Post
I really need some help and advice to solve this problem.
I’ve read and acted on so many forum threads and yet still no solution.

Back in June ’21, I purchased a 2007, 1 owner, FVSH, V70 at just under 100k miles, good price.

I identified some engine vibration on viewing/test drive, and was confident that replacing an engine mount (or two!) would solve the problem.

Since then, I have carried out the following maintenance:
- Cam belt, water pump, aux belt & tensioner
- Front wishbones and droplinks (both sides)
- Couple of front tyres
- and slowly, one by one, all 5 engine mounts

Recently sailed through the MOT.
You could say I’m committed to the car now, having spent time and money keeping her fit.

The problem is…
It vibrates like a tractor under 1000rpm, to the extent that trickling in traffic, or standing still for any length of time, can induce nausea!

It’s worth mentioning that cruising at any kind of decent speed, the car is as smooth as silk. A fantastic and surprisingly economical mile-muncher, and a pleasure to be in.

Whilst I appreciate that the D5 diesel may bit a bit agricultural, I fail to believe that Volvo would have put the V70 D5 into mass production with such an obvious failing. So, optimistically, I continue to believe that there’s a solution to my problem.

What I’ve attempted so far…
Have replaced the engine mounts one by one over the months (in the following order), with decent quality (non-Volvo), replacement parts (i.e., not cheap as chips!)
1. Top engine mount
2. Lower front Transmission link/mount
3. Lower off-side mount
4. Front vacuum mount
5. Rear vacuum mount (had this one fitted by local reputable garage)

Each replacement has resulted in a small but perceptible improvement in vibration.
Strangely however, the final rear vacuum mount had the effect of (whilst v.slightly) improving things at standstill (in neutral or drive), making the vibration when shifting into reverse (at standstill holding on footbrake and whilst moving backwards), almost unbearable and this wasn’t an issue before fitting the last mount?!?!

Anyway, it just isn’t right and I’m approaching the end of my tether and have fallen out of love with what should be a fantastic 2nd hand buy.

I’ve tested both vacuum mounts (front and back) with a vacuum gauge and they hold pressure no issue (the previous/old units didn’t by the way).
I’ve tested the vacuum system for leaks following some of the advice on SiRobs YouTube channel (great resource - hat’s off!), and everything seems fine.

The engine itself doesn’t seen overly or problematically rough, but when you are in the cabin, at idle, you want to be anywhere but in the cabin!
Rev to over 1000 rpm, when the vacuum system cuts-out anyway, and everything is smooth.

One more thing, I do get the tug-boat, pop-pop sound with the oil cap off, which I understand indicates vacuum leakage, but as stated, my tests say otherwise.

If I can solve the low revs vibration, the car is a keeper and I have plenty of other upgrades and maintenance items that I’d like to get on with. However, I’m not prepared to spend anymore money on it if I can’t get to the bottom of this. It’s spoiling my first Volvo ownership experience, but hopefully there’ll be a simple fix.

I’m hoping that a member here who’s experienced and resolved the same issue will be able to help me.

Thanks in advance for any advice from the Volvo experts here.

JW
Hi all,

Just to add my view (although I'm no expert), the fact that the engine runs smooth at more than 1000rpm and rattles around at idle (600rpm) seems to indicate it's the vacuum system as the vacuum control valve (or whatever the correct name is) cuts the vacuum past 1000rpm. You have said you have seen SiRobs videos so have you plugged in a vacuum gauge and seen the control valve releases the vacuum at 1000rpm.
The tug boat sound also seems to indicate there is a vacuum problem somewhere.
Others have also suggested the clutch/flywheel. I'm guessing they are suggesting the clutch/flywheel are out of balance? If it were either of these causing the vibration would the vibration slowly die down as the revs increase rather than a sudden improvement?
Just some food for thought. Please stick with it. Great cars when they are sorted.
Like you I bought a 2006 V70 and have spent £1500 getting it up to scratch which included engine mounts, vacuum system overhaul etc.
Let us know how you get on.
Mattye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 08:25   #5
JayDubbleya

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback - great!

I forgot to mention that my V70 is an Auto... does that mean that I can discount any flywheel concerns? (I mean there's some kind of flywheel/flexiplate set up isn't there).

Cheers
JW
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 08:48   #6
JayDubbleya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattye View Post
Hi all,

Just to add my view (although I'm no expert), the fact that the engine runs smooth at more than 1000rpm and rattles around at idle (600rpm) seems to indicate it's the vacuum system as the vacuum control valve (or whatever the correct name is) cuts the vacuum past 1000rpm. You have said you have seen SiRobs videos so have you plugged in a vacuum gauge and seen the control valve releases the vacuum at 1000rpm.
The tug boat sound also seems to indicate there is a vacuum problem somewhere.
Others have also suggested the clutch/flywheel. I'm guessing they are suggesting the clutch/flywheel are out of balance? If it were either of these causing the vibration would the vibration slowly die down as the revs increase rather than a sudden improvement?
Just some food for thought. Please stick with it. Great cars when they are sorted.
Like you I bought a 2006 V70 and have spent £1500 getting it up to scratch which included engine mounts, vacuum system overhaul etc.
Let us know how you get on.

Hi Mattye,

Thanks for your feedback.

My thoughts also that maybe it is (or continues to be) vacuum related, but I'm stumped! Hence searching for other issues/experiences/fixes.

So, thinking aloud here (bear with me)...

- If a vacuum system problem were causing the vibration, do we think it would mean that the new front and back vac engine mounts (although holding pressure under localised test), just may not be receiving the required vac/pressure from the system once the engine is running?

- i.e., if there were a vac problem, could it effect low revs vibration in any way other than via the vac engine mounts?

I've vac tested (with a gauge) the following:
  • Front and back engine mounts
  • Vacuum control valve (Yes - vacuum releases at 1000rpm)
  • Vacuum pump itself

All good.

I've also tested the pressure to the mounts via the hose/pipes that lead to them, to ensure no splits/loss of pressure. Again, no issue.

I was shocked at the additional vibration that was introduced in reverse, once the final rear vac engine mounted was fitted because there was me thinking I'd slotted the final piece of the puzzle in and all would be good

Does anyone know if the tug-boat/pop-pop is ever caused by anything other than Vac system issues?
If I'm persisting with investigating the vac system, and yet the pop-pop could be caused by something else, then this could be a red-herring perhaps.

Last point - could vac pressure be lost via a failing brake booster, and if so does anyone know if loss of pressure there could affect the pressure at the engine mounts?

Thanks
JW

Last edited by JayDubbleya; Jan 26th, 2022 at 11:06.
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 14:38   #7
CricketyJimin

It might also be worth disconnecting the top mount temporarily to see if that has any effect - the first time I replaced it on one of ours, it made a terrific vibration through the cabin, but I'd just tightened up the bolts with it and the strut bar in slightly the wrong position.
CricketyJimin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 08:07   #8
JayDubbleya

Hi CJ,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd love to think that it could be something so (relatively) simple and I'm at the stage where I'll consider anything

From what I remember, when I replaced the top mount (months ago now), and undid the cross bar, both items were either on or off, I don't remember that there was any room for error or subtle adjustment in the way they fit, or getting the wrong position.
I will revisit this however, you never know.

Cheers
JW
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 09:01   #9
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

type of bush can make a difference, I put a poly bush in there and it shook the living crap out of the car at idle, and that's on a petrol

worth trying it removed/disconnected at least to rule it out. just idling though, I wouldn't advise driving it around like that

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 17:15   #10
DT19
Master Member

Second vote for the top engine mount. I put a poly bush mount in mine thinking it was a great idea, then sometime later noticed vibration when ticking over but I didn't link the two until I'd spent ages looking at everything else. In the end I got a genuine Volvo mount and the vibartion vanished.
DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote