Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help Me to Love My Vibrating V70 D5 - It should be a keeper!

Views : 2519

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2022, 11:46   #11
JayDubbleya

Thanks Stuart and DT,

I will definitely check top mount again to discount this as the issue.

The difference between our experiences however, is that I didn't go the poly bush route.
The top mount was the first mount I replaced (back last June/July), and it did make a small difference to the vibrating, but the overall problem remained.
I replaced with a non-Volvo, but decent quality (I believe), mount.
It will be amazing if something in the top mount set up is the root cause - I'll keep you posted.

Also, back to a vacuum related question...

Does anyone know if lost vac pressure via a failing brake booster, would affect the x2 vac engine mounts?

This is a long shot. I don't have a specific brake issue that I'm aware of, but 10 days ago, my brake pedal was pretty solid at morning start up, so I wondered if there's an emerging issue there, and if so could it be connected to vacuum system / tug-boat pop-pop / engine mounts / and thus low revs vibration?!?!?

Really appreciate the input of peeps with experience of this.

Cheers
JW
JayDubbleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 12:33   #12
CricketyJimin

I'd be surprised if it was a vacuum issue since I've been running with the mounts disconnected for a couple of years on a euro 3 and a euro 4 (they both leak and I've not got around to swapping them), but always interested to learn more about it!
CricketyJimin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 13:35   #13
JayDubbleya

Hi CJ

Thanks for the feedback.
So let me make sure I understand what you are saying?

You've been running with vacuum mounts disconnected for a period of time.
So, they're not operating as pressurised mounts, as they are designed to.
Are you suggesting then that although you are running them in this state, there's no additional vibration at low revs (below 1000rpm), or just that you are happy to live with it that way?

The mounts designed to be pressurised at low engine revs to smooth out the vibrations at low revs aren't they?

Have I misunderstood

Cheers
JW
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 15:31   #14
CricketyJimin

Yes, exactly. They're designed to be vacuum operated to reduce noise/vibration at low revs, but since they leak (especially on the euro 3 where it can throw error codes) I've disconnected the vacuum lines and plugged the supply pipe until such time as I get around to changing them, which so far has taken years

It probably does introduce a little bit more noise/vibration but I don't find it objectionable at all. It sounds to me like what you are experiencing with yours is much worse.
CricketyJimin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 16:18   #15
JayDubbleya

Yes, either that or I'm a picky f@$%*r
(Seriously though - it vibes much more than is acceptable, especially in reverse. More so in reverse since fitting the final - lower rear - vac engine mount).

I've booked some time in at the weekend to double-check the top mount situation - will feedback on outcomes. (Wow, wouldn't that be a turn-up for the books if there's a solution to be had there!)

The tug-boat pop-pop issue remains however, which I'd like to get to the bottom of.
  • New engine mounts vac tested with gauge - all good
  • Hose leading from vac engine mounts tested - all good
  • Vac pump tested with gauge - all good
  • Vac control valve on the airbox tested with gauge - all good

Anyone have ideas or knowledge about the vac system who can point me in the right direction of what to test next?

Cheers
JW
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 16:38   #16
Moomoo
VOC Member

I had a a similar problem on a Land Rover. I’m not au fait with the vacuum problems discussed , so can’t comment. My lumpiness turned out to be low compression on one pot. When revved it was fine but lumpy on idle.

This is just a thought.
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 16:47   #17
JayDubbleya

Hi Moomoo,

Thanks for the input.

The engine on my D5 doesn't seem lumpy, runs as smoothly as a 14/15 year old diesel can, to be fair (I mean it gets smoother above 1000rpm, but that is the nature of the unit from what I understand).

Just that somehow, the 'standard' engine vibration finds it's way through to the cabin (at standstill and worse in reverse) and isn't being damped as it should be.
Does that make sense?

5 new engine mounts later and still not resolved(!)

Times like this I need a four post lift and a workshop to aid my investigations.

Don't fancy the idea of revving the engine and shifting between gears whilst the car is on axle stands, which is really what I need to be able to do whilst under car to try and pinpoint the source of the vibration.

Thanks anyway - all sensible advice/suggestions gratefully received.

JW
The Following User Says Thank You to JayDubbleya For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 16:54   #18
jeremycolley

It could be the 'pattern' vacuum mounts you have fitted. I replaced mine with the genuine Volvo parts - they are not that expensive, so I can't see why you'd need to use cheapo parts

Previous Volvo's, 1996 855 T5 CD Aubergine 855 N/A CD, 940 Wentworth, 760 Estate,740 Estate, 240 DL Estate,240 GLT Estate
jeremycolley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremycolley For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 16:59   #19
JayDubbleya

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't use cheapo parts. They weren't Volvo, but they were quality parts.

I did my research and discounted the inferior items.

If you know of SiRobb's YouTube channel, there's a video on there all about identifying the D5 vac engine mounts from different suppliers.
Indeed, some of the aftermarket spares are indeed those supplied to Volvo.

Cheapo parts is a false economy.

I'm pretty sure I've made some good decisions about the items that I've fitted... I hope so at least!

Cheers
JW

Last edited by JayDubbleya; Jan 28th, 2022 at 18:11.
The Following User Says Thank You to JayDubbleya For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 18:28   #20
Willow place

Well I went the "Cheapo " route, used Non vac on the front and kept the Knackered vac on the rear, blocked the pipes off, yeah, get vibration on tickover when cold but sorts it self out when warm ,as for vibration in Reverse ,just a tingle !!
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote