Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help Me to Love My Vibrating V70 D5 - It should be a keeper!

Views : 2527

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2022, 18:56   #21
JayDubbleya

Hmmm, interesting.

Not sure what to think.

More investigation this weekend!

Frustrating.
JayDubbleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 23:57   #22
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDubbleya View Post
Thanks Stuart and DT,

I will definitely check top mount again to discount this as the issue.

The difference between our experiences however, is that I didn't go the poly bush route.
The top mount was the first mount I replaced (back last June/July), and it did make a small difference to the vibrating, but the overall problem remained.
I replaced with a non-Volvo, but decent quality (I believe), mount.
It will be amazing if something in the top mount set up is the root cause - I'll keep you posted.

Also, back to a vacuum related question...

Does anyone know if lost vac pressure via a failing brake booster, would affect the x2 vac engine mounts?

This is a long shot. I don't have a specific brake issue that I'm aware of, but 10 days ago, my brake pedal was pretty solid at morning start up, so I wondered if there's an emerging issue there, and if so could it be connected to vacuum system / tug-boat pop-pop / engine mounts / and thus low revs vibration?!?!?

Really appreciate the input of peeps with experience of this.

Cheers
JW
disconnect every thing vac mounts block pipes with bungs disconect top engine mount then connect back one at a time see it any of it makes the problem any better/or worse whats the condition of your transmission fluid?
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 17:56   #23
JayDubbleya

Ok, found some time to further my investigations today.

Let’s forget the tug-boat pop-pop apparent vacuum leak for the moment, because whilst present, I can report that it is a red herring so far as the vibration is concerned (in my case at least).

@CricketyJimin
@stuart bowes
@DT19
@Simmy
….please take a bow!

The cause of the vibration issue lies with the top engine mount/cross bar - unbelievable!

First,
I removed the cross bar from the vehicle (thus top engine mount not connected to anything.
Turned the engine on = Smooth as can be. No cabin shake or vibration whatsoever!
I shifted into drive and reverse, moved forward and back = Smooth as silk. No cabin shake or vibration at all!

Next,
I replaced cross-bar but didn’t reconnect the mount.
Got my other half to sit in and run the engine shift into reverse and you could see that the ‘engine rock’ was shifting the hole on the mount passed the hole on the bracket. So there’s a fair amount of movement there that needs to be damped.

Then,
I replaced the bolt that connects the top mount to the cross bar and loosely tightened it.
Vibration returned big time.

Answer,
Need to reduce the movement here by tightening the engine mount bolt.
I tightened it to how I had previously installed it first time round, which was quite tight, but not crazy tight. Still vibrations!

Thought maybe I should tighten some more, so a longer socket wrench on it for additional leverage and tightened it as much as I dare (bearing in mind I don’t have a torque setting for this? Does anyone know this?).
Result - vibration died down considerably (much less) as in, it’s bearable and I can live with it…. certainly in comparison to previously.

It isn’t smooth and completely vibe free as it was when I had the mount disconnected, but it is so much better.

So perhaps @jeremycolley, you called it right on the ‘pattern’ mount (with regards to the top mount), and maybe Volvos own brand top mount will completely smooth things out? I’ll see how the vibration seems during the coming few weeks before I commit to this final part of the jigsaw.

Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback, both those name-checked above and others. It has given me the perseverance to continue trying things and even rechecking stuff I believed I’d covered off already.
I’m dead chuffed that I now know the cause is and whilst not perfect, I know what to work on if it doesn’t turn out to be satisfactory as things stand.

What I’m not chuffed about however - see below…

- - - - -

Now, I do have an issue arising from today’s efforts however - The ‘Engine System Service Urgent’ warning message is now displaying!
It’s obviously been caused by something that I’ve done today, and guessing this is either:

1/ Driving forward and backwards and the engine was allowed to rock fore/aft a few degrees too much due to the absence of the connected top mount to cross bar. Not sure if this would trigger a sensor somewhere?

OR

2/ I was also doing some more testing on the Vac system and disconnected a few hoses whilst engine ran/revved, and maybe this was picked up as an issue for the engine.

Apart from the vibration and the apparent Vac leak the car and engine are in excellent nick, and it is too much of a coincidence that all of a sudden there’s an engine issue.
Undoubtedly something that I’ve done today which has caused this, so I’m not overly concerned, but… how do I cancel the warning message?
I’m worried what the answer is going to be.

Cheers
JW
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JayDubbleya For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 18:10   #24
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

good stuff just checking is the rubber in the top mount round or square

because the round one was an earlier type which is quite solid and would transfer a lot of vibration into the cabin whereas with the squarer one you can easily tell straight away the rubber square moves around a fair bit in the metal bracket and would obviously allow more movement before transferring vibration into the cabin

I did have round but now have square (you can swap them easily) although because I went to round polybush in between (mistake!) I didnt get to compare the two, plus my original round one was shot to crap anyway

as far as I can see the top mount a) is mainly there to minimise transverse movement, not front to back movement .. and apparently also b) makes the engine swing upwards in the event of a front end collision as opposed to into your legs (may or may not be true)

therefore to wrap up a lengthy rant, the newer square one which allows a little more front/back movement is perfectly fine and actually a much better idea

and I have a pattern part not OEM in mine and it seems totally fine, however that's a petrol not diesel which is obviously a big difference in itself

interested to know if others concurr

re the message.. <1> seems very unlikely unless movement was so excessive something got disconnected maybe and <2> is therefore my best bet from those options

if you've put everything back together now (and assuming you don't have VIDA to clear faults) you could try disconnecting battery and waiting an hour or so, then reconnecting (with Key in pos 2 which apparently means the lights being on absorbs any surge and saves expensive components) that should reset all the modules and get rid of faults. of course they'll come back if the issue is still there

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 30th, 2022 at 18:17.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 18:20   #25
JayDubbleya

Hi Stuart,

Yes, that's my understanding of the top mount function too.

The top mount rubber that I have is square, and yes there's a lot of movement/it's quite loose from new.
So far as i remember the top mount that I replaced last June/July was also square, but was worse for wear.

Do you have any ideas whether there's a specified torque setting for the top mount to cross bar bolt, or perhaps who may know or where I may find this?
It could be that this, simply, was/is the root cause of the problem, and actually the mount is just fine.
I'm concerned to over tighten the bolt, even though I have gone very tight on it today, it would be good to know if there's a correct setting.

JW
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 18:26   #26
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

vida 80nm or 60ftlb

although I just did it up till it felt tight enough to be honest. it's a big bolt you'd have a job snapping it

that's for mine which is the originally installed round one so I can only guess yours is the same

if you haven't got VIDA already you really should install it even on a desktop PC as a reference tool

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 30th, 2022 at 18:29.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 19:43   #27
Simmy
Premier Member

check that the cross bar has not been poly bushed the bar should be very flexable on its strut fixing ends as for engine message any vac leak on any vac pipes including the one to the tcv can throw up messages have you checked that the actuator for the variable vanes on the turbo have full movement this can also give this message
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 20:33   #28
CricketyJimin

Good progress!

If it's a false positive caused by 2, you might find the error message will disappear after a few driving cycles, once the car realises it doesn't actually have a fault.
CricketyJimin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CricketyJimin For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 21:12   #29
JayDubbleya

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
good stuff just checking is the rubber in the top mount round or square

because the round one was an earlier type which is quite solid and would transfer a lot of vibration into the cabin whereas with the squarer one you can easily tell straight away the rubber square moves around a fair bit in the metal bracket and would obviously allow more movement before transferring vibration into the cabin

I did have round but now have square (you can swap them easily) although because I went to round polybush in between (mistake!) I didnt get to compare the two, plus my original round one was shot to crap anyway

as far as I can see the top mount a) is mainly there to minimise transverse movement, not front to back movement .. and apparently also b) makes the engine swing upwards in the event of a front end collision as opposed to into your legs (may or may not be true)

therefore to wrap up a lengthy rant, the newer square one which allows a little more front/back movement is perfectly fine and actually a much better idea

and I have a pattern part not OEM in mine and it seems totally fine, however that's a petrol not diesel which is obviously a big difference in itself

interested to know if others concurr

re the message.. <1> seems very unlikely unless movement was so excessive something got disconnected maybe and <2> is therefore my best bet from those options

if you've put everything back together now (and assuming you don't have VIDA to clear faults) you could try disconnecting battery and waiting an hour or so, then reconnecting (with Key in pos 2 which apparently means the lights being on absorbs any surge and saves expensive components) that should reset all the modules and get rid of faults. of course they'll come back if the issue is still there

Hi SB

Thanks for this.

I don't have VIDA. Am I correct in believing that it's windows based - I'm a Mac user for my sins.

I may try the battery solution, if it comes to it.

Appreciate all your input.

JW
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 21:16   #30
JayDubbleya

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
vida 80nm or 60ftlb

although I just did it up till it felt tight enough to be honest. it's a big bolt you'd have a job snapping it

that's for mine which is the originally installed round one so I can only guess yours is the same

if you haven't got VIDA already you really should install it even on a desktop PC as a reference tool

Hi SB

I'll try and find time to get my torque wrench on it tomorrow/Tuesday and check it out.
I wouldn't be surprised if I've exceeded 80nm tbh, but i'll feedback my findings.

Thanks for the info.

JW