Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What to check and do before a long haul...

Views : 2012

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2022, 09:58   #1
BigGreenThing

Default What to check and do before a long haul...

Later this year, I plan to drive my 10-11 year old 2.0 Diesel D3 XC70 from the South Coast of England to the very north of Scotland (Thurso). I'd much rather drive then get a flight to Inverness and hire a car etc.

It's a distance of approximately 720 miles with an average journey time of 12 1/2 hours (excludes stopping...and I'll probably "overnight" en route). Not sure on which route I'd take yet...

I'm putting the car through its annual (Volvo) service next month.

My questions are:

- what would you do or check before such a long journey?
- would you consider an "interim" service/ check-over by a garage before going?
- Or would you just get in the car and go?
- Do you think the journey (715 miles) would be achievable on a single tank?

Would welcome any thoughts!
The Following User Says Thank You to BigGreenThing For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 10:38   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreenThing View Post
Later this year, I plan to drive my 10-11 year old 2.0 Diesel D3 XC70 from the South Coast of England to the very north of Scotland (Thurso). I'd much rather drive then get a flight to Inverness and hire a car etc.

It's a distance of approximately 720 miles with an average journey time of 12 1/2 hours (excludes stopping...and I'll probably "overnight" en route). Not sure on which route I'd take yet...

I'm putting the car through its annual (Volvo) service next month.

My questions are:

- what would you do or check before such a long journey?
- would you consider an "interim" service/ check-over by a garage before going?
- Or would you just get in the car and go?
- Do you think the journey (715 miles) would be achievable on a single tank?

Would welcome any thoughts!
'Morning, 'B.G.T.'.

Your car is a full decade younger than my V70, into which I would happily jump and drive 700 miles without a second thought.

You plan to have your car serviced to Volvo specification. Assuming that it remains within time and mileage limits before the need for further service, I see no need for an interim.

Before embarking on the journey, I would:
1. Check engine oil and top up if necessary
2. Check coolant level and top up if necessary - always investigate any significant drop as it may herald a leak.
3. Check and adjust tyre pressures if necessary. Bear in mind pressures recommended for heavily loaded sustained high speed driving may be higher than normal.
4. Check battery electrolyte level if older type where this is possible.
5. Check lights and wipers are working correctly - it is always a good idea to carry spare bulbs
6. Check your AA membership status - other recovery organisations are available

I have no idea if you could complete the journey on a full tank of fuel. Much depends on your driving style, load, if you are towing, etc., etc. Why not just fill up around Carlisle before you hit the remoter parts of Scotland?

Unless you are sharing the driving with someone, I think breaking your journey is a good idea for safety reasons.

Gone are the days when we gave our aging Austin 7s or Ford 8s a full service before embarking on the annual trip to Skeggy 100 miles away. Relax, and enjoy your trip!

Regards, John.
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 11:16   #3
griston64
Premier Member

I have a 2012 V70 D5 as you can see in my sig. I've had the car since new and used to regularly drive up and down from Glasgow to Bournemouth and always just checked tyre pressures and set off. I know your trip is another 260 odd miles more but these cars eat those miles with ease.

I did my journey twice without stopping and jumped out as fresh as a daisy

Not sure what mpg you get on the D3 but I could fill up and have a good few days running around in Bournemouth before I needed fuel again
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 11:29   #4
bornmiddleaged
:-)

We regularly drive from Southampton to Edin/Glasgow and normally stay overnight somewhere in the midlands, mainly for the comfort of the other passengers as if I'm doing the journey on my own, I do it in a single run.

In the morning before we set off I will generally seek out the nearest supermarket petrol station and fill up there, even though I could easily get to the central belt on a single tank (V60 with D4).
If I were going all the way up to Thurso, I would definitely fill up somewhere when you stop as it will avoid having to pay service station prices if you suddenly realise you are not going to make it.
Also, petrol stations are not so plentiful the further north you go!

Enjoy the trip, sounds great, and a much more pleasant way to do it than flying, IMHO.
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 14:47   #5
BigGreenThing

I'm a tad "conscientious" when it comes to services, servicing and service history! :-)

I think the only thing I'm a tad wary of is the Aux belt and tensioner changes.

Cambelt, aux. belt and tensioners were changed (by Volvo) before my ownership at 109,790 miles (in 2019). The car has around £142K on it currently. I'm sure I read somewhere that aux belts and tensioners need replacing every 54K (or 5 years??) on D3 and D5s. So the Aux belt would need changing by 163,790 miles.

In reality, it's unlikely I'll get anywhere near that mileage figure by September. But with such a long and epic drive..wondered if I should be cautious...get the belt changed..

I'm actually servicing the car slightly earlier than scheduled (as it's yet to be serviced in my ownership...got the car last August). I've a reasonable relationship with the garage...so I will see what they say.

Planning on staying somewhere between outskirts of Edinburgh/Perth...if anybody knows of anywhere cheap an' cheerful that way! It'll probably be a Premier Inn/Travel Lodge option on the A68/M90/A9 probably! With a fill up at Edinburgh and again at Inverness!

I've never had a Volvo fail on me apart from an old 240 with the B230K...first petrol engine with an array of EGR cables. What an absolute mare that car was sometimes! LOL!
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 16:09   #6
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Lights, levels, pressures, visual inspection of tyres and belts.

Assuming it's been correctly serviced beforehand, and the next service will not fall due while the car is on its travels, it's all good.
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 17:11   #7
arcascomp

Your sanity?

I do thousands of miles between services without a thought! Always have a recovery membership just in case though!

Contrary to popular belief, we do have fuel stations in Scotland, in some cases cheaper than down there too! Supermarket stations do run sparse after Inverness though, so probably not a bad plan to grab fuel there. If you are coming up A1, there's an Asda with garage near "Spot roundabout" a wee bit before you get to Edinburgh, saves coming off the main roads to find a cheaper station, or if you are a Costco member, there is one just off the Edinburgh bypass at Straiton.

Cheap places to kip, probably best just using the main travel lodge/premier inn sites to find a bargain - plenty of them about.

Relax and enjoy the trip!
arcascomp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arcascomp For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 17:41   #8
BigGreenThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcascomp View Post
Your sanity?

I do thousands of miles between services without a thought! Always have a recovery membership just in case though!

Contrary to popular belief, we do have fuel stations in Scotland, in some cases cheaper than down there too! Supermarket stations do run sparse after Inverness though, so probably not a bad plan to grab fuel there. If you are coming up A1, there's an Asda with garage near "Spot roundabout" a wee bit before you get to Edinburgh, saves coming off the main roads to find a cheaper station, or if you are a Costco member, there is one just off the Edinburgh bypass at Straiton.

Cheap places to kip, probably best just using the main travel lodge/premier inn sites to find a bargain - plenty of them about.

Relax and enjoy the trip!
Haha! Yes arcascomp! You're totally right re: sanity check! I have roadside assistance - so covered in all cases should anything happen! Thanks also for the Asda top tip...quite likely I'll take the A1 to be honest. I know where I am with that road. And fill up again at Morrisons in Inverness.
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 17:44   #9
BigGreenThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Lights, levels, pressures, visual inspection of tyres and belts.

Assuming it's been correctly serviced beforehand, and the next service will not fall due while the car is on its travels, it's all good.
Thanks Familyman 90. All service history is as it should be (and verifiable with receipts/documents etc). I'll ask Volvo to take a visual inspection of the belts..to be safe.

Cheers.
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 18:26   #10
yostumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreenThing View Post
Thanks Familyman 90. All service history is as it should be (and verifiable with receipts/documents etc). I'll ask Volvo to take a visual inspection of the belts..to be safe.

Cheers.

Are you going for gen Volvo service, or Indy? If gen, have you heard of the 'plus 4 club' scheme? 3 options with a one off fee. I had a quote for a 6 year service on the D5, and it was £547 incl., and mot £54.85. But with a one off payment of £99 (option 3) , you get big discounts. So the service drops to £448 incl, and the mot is £25. This one off payment / discounts, lasts as long as you own the car. No too shabby.

With a gen service, do they automatically check / install any updates?

Last edited by yostumpy; Jan 26th, 2022 at 18:30.
yostumpy is offline   Reply With Quote