Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What to check and do before a long haul...

Views : 2010

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2022, 22:43   #11
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostumpy View Post
Are you going for gen Volvo service, or Indy? If gen, have you heard of the 'plus 4 club' scheme? 3 options with a one off fee. I had a quote for a 6 year service on the D5, and it was £547 incl., and mot £54.85. But with a one off payment of £99 (option 3) , you get big discounts. So the service drops to £448 incl, and the mot is £25. This one off payment / discounts, lasts as long as you own the car. No too shabby.

With a gen service, do they automatically check / install any updates?
Bargain
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 23:20   #12
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I would religiously check:

- Wallet with credit cards
- Clean kecks at least, preferably full change of clothing
- Snacks and drinks for the journey (not too sweet, flapjack, San Pellegrino water etc.)
- Coat
- Selection of CD's

With regards to the car - you've probably driven 1,500 - 3,000 miles since you last checked anything so why would the next 1.5k miles be any different?

On a serious note - many drivers do that mileage weekly in these cars with no issues. Don't worry and enjoy the route...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 00:13   #13
NAD

I do 600 miles a week, most weeks.
Main thing to check, if the car is regularly serviced, are tyres, lights, wiper blades and fill washer fluid. Before a long trip I also check oil and coolant levels.
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 08:05   #14
BigGreenThing

Quote:
Are you going for gen Volvo service, or Indy? If gen, have you heard of the 'plus 4 club' scheme? 3 options with a one off fee. I had a quote for a 6 year service on the D5, and it was £547 incl., and mot £54.85. But with a one off payment of £99 (option 3) , you get big discounts. So the service drops to £448 incl, and the mot is £25. This one off payment / discounts, lasts as long as you own the car. No too shabby.

With a gen service, do they automatically check / install any updates?
Another reason I’m getting a slightly earlier annual service (as it’s not actually ‘due’ until May) is the main genuine Volvo garage is offering 25% discount off the total cost of services/work undertaken until the end of March. It then brings cost down in line with my local Indy garage.

The last owner had mentioned the plus 4 (years) deal to me before I bought it. I will check when I take the car in next week. Interesting you mentioned software updates. I’ve asked about software updates for 2011 XC70…and it appears that there aren’t any “new” new ones…so the vehicle isn’t probably supported software-wise beyond about 8 years of age. I’ve asked them to check software anyway (presumably they can do this via Vida?).
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 17:22   #15
yostumpy

Hi jacking the thread a tad, does anyone know exactly what a 6 year service entails.
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 21:52   #16
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi jacking the thread a tad, does anyone know exactly what a 6 year service entails.
Dunno but for £547 I'd be wanting a week in Majorca
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 08:32   #17
uknowiama

On the point of coolant level. It is a closed system, so should not drop. If does - as rightly pointed out it indicates a leak.

My experience of having 2 2010 model V70 D5 205. The are prone to the radiator leaking - very slowly - a weld at corner of rad fails. Failed in same place on both cars.

That said - get it sorted - but if losing a little - the low coolant alarm will come on to say - you can keep it topped up in the short term. I did this on my first V70 without issue. Until I was able to get the radiatior replaced.

Dunno much about, so going to have a mooch around.
uknowiama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 09:14   #18
Tony Rama

Did anyone mention the following:

1. Check the spare tyre for condition and pressure.
2. Carry a crack bar for changing a wheel.
3. Check for wheel lock key, if lock bolts fitted.
3. Check jack is present and operational.
4. Carry a foot pump for emergency low tech inflation + pressure gauge.
5. Carry jump leads.
6. Check torque of wheel bolts.
7. A few rags.(cleaning windows, mirrors, dipstick etc.
8. Small basic tool kit.
9. Spare bulbs.
10. On a long journey, I also carry 1L of oil, 1L of antifreeze.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 09:37   #19
yostumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Dunno but for £547 I'd be wanting a week in Majorca
Agreed....yebbut..... its £448 with a £25 mot fee. the thing is the main dealer is reasonably local to me, and easy to drop off and cycle home, etc.

I got a price from an indy in Sutton, that has been recommended every where, and he is £300, But wants the car 3-4 hours, and doesn't like people waiting in case something goes wrong. So factor in a 1 hour car journey...£12? and then a 1 1/2 hour train home £16, then ditto return. that comes to almost £360 and 2 days faffing about. Plus and xtra £20 mot some where else thats £380.

Hmmm! I e mailed the place in Plumstead, but got no response. ( I'm in N.
kent)

Alternatively I take the Mrs, drop car off early, train to That London, have a day in the schmoke, food+ beer, then home, then back next day on my tod.?
Hmmm.

PS. on a 2016 Xc70, how do you clear the service alert on the dash, as I want to wait another month, after MOT. (Is the service warning triangle an MOT thing?)

Last edited by yostumpy; Jan 28th, 2022 at 09:40.
yostumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 09:49   #20
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Agreed....yebbut..... its £448 with a £25 mot fee. the thing is the main dealer is reasonably local to me, and easy to drop off and cycle home, etc.

I got a price from an indy in Sutton, that has been recommended every where, and he is £300, But wants the car 3-4 hours, and doesn't like people waiting in case something goes wrong. So factor in a 1 hour car journey...£12? and then a 1 1/2 hour train home £16, then ditto return. that comes to almost £360 and 2 days faffing about. Plus and xtra £20 mot some where else thats £380.

Hmmm! I e mailed the place in Plumstead, but got no response. ( I'm in N.
kent)

Alternatively I take the Mrs, drop car off early, train to That London, have a day in the schmoke, food+ beer, then home, then back next day on my tod.?
Hmmm.

PS. on a 2016 Xc70, how do you clear the service alert on the dash, as I want to wait another month, after MOT. (Is the service warning triangle an MOT thing?)
It's fairly easy to reset but I can't remember thye exact procedure. just Google it and you will get a video on how to

I do my own servicing now on the D5 as I can get the full service kit from Mill Volvo for £120 odd and that includes the oil

I did have dealer services from new until the warranty expired but the prices are now silly for what you get.

Couple of hours and you are done and you also know everything is done correctly

ps I'm also originally from Kent and used to fish on the Thames at Gravesend for flatties. My Dad had a betting shop on Plumstead common as well