Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

06 xc70 lower control arm

Views : 895

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2022, 23:07   #11
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

yep dont both with chain or ratchet, i use a long jack handle in the hole on the new arm
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 00:36   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjoffroader View Post
This is just a quick question.

The lower control arm front left and right have gone on my xc70, I have press equipment, can you get a bush and change that over or do you have to get the full arm? I've had a look on the old google but not found any bushes.

BONUS QUESTION!!!

How often do the ball joints go on the wheel hub? I'm not sure which has gone yet in my case, I will be having a look tomorrow.
It is economic to change one bush but if any more need doing get the complete arm .. ball joints are very long lasting indeed as on most volvos .
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 12:47   #13
Tjoffroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearintheair View Post
Ah, guess the xc arms are slightly different to the V70. I'm not worried about the quality of arms, My febi arms were very similar to genuine Volvo ones I pulled off and bushings are the weak points in the suspension on these anyway.
yeah it looks like they are different , ive always seen febi as a good make. My brother has just bought a set of febi brakes for his bmw x5, an i put febi bits on my 330d.

2006 xc70 d5 manual
Tjoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 12:51   #14
Tjoffroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by John97Tdi View Post
Hi, this might be a 'suck eggs' comment, but certainly if your XC has 4C shocks (and possibly 'normal' shocks - I'd guess the geometry is similar) you have to be prepared to dismount the bottom of the shock absorbers when refitting the control arms to line up with the bottom ball joint - otherwise no amount of leverage or ratchet strap 'MacGyvering' will provide sufficient clearance. Trust me on this - if you need to remove the shock absorber bottom bolts it will be a lot easier to loosen them before you remove the control arms - I,of course, found out the hard way!

John
Thanks for the heads up, your struggle has potentially saved me some. I've seen 2 how to videos where 1 manages with ratchet strap and the other had to basically disconnect everything. I'll look up what shocks I've got soon.

2006 xc70 d5 manual
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 13:03   #15
Tjoffroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
100%

disconnect struts , push to one side (watch you don't damage the CV boot) and ratchet strap your hub up until the wishbones are horizontal, disconnect balljoint and the job's easy

in reverse you can get the bolts back into the strut/hub by using a long pry bar from the drop link bracket across the top of the hub connector bit with two holes in (that's the technical name obviously)

I didn't bother with ratchet straps underneath the last time it was much easier that way

measure the top end first will get you back nearly right on camber

Thanks, I'll look into doing this when it comes to the time. The car has done 171k and was a farm car for a long time, which I now use it 50% on farm land so it wouldn't surprise me if multiple things need changing. I've replaced a lot of bushes already and there's the sway bars/antiroll bars that definitely need doing.

2006 xc70 d5 manual
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 13:35   #16
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

ah now that's another kettle of fish

for some reason in their infinite wisdom volvo made the rollbars with the bushes 'welded' on as part of the bar. so really the official thing to do is replace the whole bar. however you can get repair kits and just cut or burn off the old rubber

getting the ARB out is not easy though, it sits right under the bulkhead above the subframe, so you have to drop the rear end of the subframe

it's an up-on-the-lift job to be honest unless you're really confident and have an array of jacks and supports

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 18:13   #17
mikepday

Default polybushes are the way forward

I"ve poly bushed the front and rear bush in the front wishbones(along with various other polybushes), and the difference is phenomenal......esp compared to knackered rubber ones. as I think Stuart Bowes said, its almost impossible to get them into a hydraulic press at one end, but if you've a good enough threaded sleeve puller it might work, with a healthy coating of WD40 or penetrating oil to help it along, or a wee bit of heat.
I look after the families 3 P2 XC70's and they are all now polybushed at the front, I won't go back to rubber.

Ex V70,XC90, XC70
mikepday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 00:49   #18
Bearintheair
young and dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjoffroader View Post
Thanks for the heads up, your struggle has potentially saved me some. I've seen 2 how to videos where 1 manages with ratchet strap and the other had to basically disconnect everything. I'll look up what shocks I've got soon.
The way I ended up doing mine is getting help to push the hub down to get the hub/strut bolts back in. If you were doing it on your own you'd probably want some way of pulling the bottom of the strut up eg those ratchet strap/similar methods.
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 00:53   #19
Bearintheair
young and dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
ah now that's another kettle of fish

for some reason in their infinite wisdom volvo made the rollbars with the bushes 'welded' on as part of the bar. so really the official thing to do is replace the whole bar. however you can get repair kits and just cut or burn off the old rubber

getting the ARB out is not easy though, it sits right under the bulkhead above the subframe, so you have to drop the rear end of the subframe

it's an up-on-the-lift job to be honest unless you're really confident and have an array of jacks and supports
My car is fairly similar to yours (age and spec) and I'm pretty sure I need to do the ARB bushes soon, so I might pick your brain about them at some point. Got a fairly good home garage at my dads, but not quite lift good but would be looking to do it myself.
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 01:16   #20
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I'll be the first to admit I've not done the job and have no expertise in the area im afraid, beyond the basic info I've already mentioned..

but others on here will be more than happy to offer their wisdom no doubt

I'd probably just give it to the garage when it comes to it for my car, I'm just not comfortable unbolting my subframe and getting under the car on the drive

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote