Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help needed.

Views : 1307

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2022, 19:10   #11
Reyne111

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
+1 Boost leak seems highly likely.

Check the orange seals on both ends of the resonator box which leads off the Turbo. Very common issue.
Going in the Garage on Tuesday to go onto the smoke machine. Hopefully will get to the bottom of it.
Reyne111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reyne111 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 11:29   #12
Reyne111

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
That doesn't rule out a boost leak. Check it with a smoke machine.
Back from the Garage, no boost leak.

Driving it home from the garage going up a hill the car suddenly got full power back and about 3 minutes later lost it again.

I am banging my head on my desk as we speak.
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 11:43   #13
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Time to do some live data logging in VIDA
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 11:48   #14
Reyne111

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Time to do some live data logging in VIDA
They did that as well.

The car has been re-mapped due to a DPF delete, they thought that the mapping was bad as the car was only asking for small amounts of a boost once being driven and data being logged, (maxium 1.6bar at full throttle) however, the full power spell today would blow the ECU theory out the water no? When I say it had full power for a few minutes, I mean, it flew!
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 12:09   #15
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyne111 View Post
They did that as well.

The car has been re-mapped due to a DPF delete, they thought that the mapping was bad as the car was only asking for small amounts of a boost once being driven and data being logged, (maxium 1.6bar at full throttle) however, the full power spell today would blow the ECU theory out the water no? When I say it had full power for a few minutes, I mean, it flew!
I would be tempted to stick it back to normal map (Volvo) and add the DPF back in. I am not going all ‘environmental’ or anything it’s simply the observation that mine is now on over 120,000 with original DPF and no issues.

Incidentally….. and perhaps adding 2 and 2 to make 6 my seals on the resonater (as s80-185) mentioned above went and it logged a fault code with the DPF (common). The seals were fixed and the DPF has been fine over last 10k plus.

I wonder if the seals are leaking and the previous owner junked the DPF thinking that was at fault.

The 185s are punchy units and I am not sure I would remove a map from Volvo and replace (each to their own however).
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 12:36   #16
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

The issue is people suffer a DPF problem, can't afford to diagnose and repair the car properly, and thus do the delete and remap without first fixing the fault that had caused the symptoms in the first place.

As aforementioned, the DPFs on these are very robust systems and simply do not cause problems on their own. Its inevitably a fault elswhere that causes the DPF to act up, and if some previous owner has done a DPF delete I would think likely there is still a problem somewhere to be identified.

Boost leaks are indeed very likely to do this and cause revving and/or power problems, and cause the DPF to soot up as it runs rich.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Feb 10th, 2022 at 12:38.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Familyman 90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 12:44   #17
Reyne111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
The issue is people suffer a DPF problem, can't afford to diagnose and repair the car properly, and thus do the delete and remap without first fixing the fault that had caused the symptoms in the first place.

As aforementioned, the DPFs on these are very robust systems and simply do not cause problems on their own. Its inevitably a fault elswhere that causes the DPF to act up, and if some previous owner has done a DPF delete I would think likely there is still a problem somewhere to be identified.

Boost leaks are indeed very likely to do this and cause revving and/or power problems, and cause the DPF to soot up as it runs rich.

Smoke machine has been put on and no boost leaks were found.

Im in between two diagnostic solutions, I have a very caple mapping guy who can go in and check the map to see if anything is wrong.

Or, remove the DPF and physically look inside to see what is happening in there. I dont think it is a coincidence that since owning the car (2 months) its had no power, the first time someone has taken part of the exhaust system off ( back box) to check for a blockage, the car decides it has full power again for 3 minutes.

I live on the isle of wight, we have no duel carriageways or motorways so if i can avoid having a DPF its better in the long run. All the garages here are full of cars have static regens
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 14:23   #18
arcascomp

Digging back through my grey matter here, so someone else please correct me if I'm suggesting nonsense!

I seem to recall that the rubber pipe from Turbo that goes down to connect up with the air pipe that runs under the engine can soften with age. The pipe itself will look fine and doesn't leak any smoke so all seems fine, but because it's aged it becomes floppy and collapses on itself causing airway congestion under harder driving conditions.

You should be able to feel down and try to squash the pipe, I recall a good one should feel pretty firm and resistant to squashing, but a worn one will be easy to squash.

As I said at the beginning, I may be talking utter rubbish here!
2002 V70 D5 163 - off to the car equivalent of the UHU factory for horses
arcascomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 14:39   #19
ltec

Your mapping guy is the man to go to. If he's any good he will be able to tell exactly whats happening or not happening. Removal of the dpf will leave you more power and better mpg.
Just spoken to someone last week that removed a dpf from a volvo, not a xc90. He's had it from new and its pretty old now. He says she drives better than she ever did, even when new and big improvement on mpg. Wished he done it years ago.
ltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 16:01   #20
Reyne111

So here is another spanner to throw into the works....

I just suddenly thought about the MAF. So I unplugged it and did a quick test drive, no difference and no warning light.

This is a bad MAF if I am correct right?