Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Apple with the Google system

Views : 2072

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2022, 13:31   #1
Stewart1359

Default Apple with the Google system

I recently purchased an xc40 p8 twin motor full electric car. I love the car but I have had 3 months of problems with my iPhone and the the Google system. Until yesterday I have been unable to use the Volvo app. I have had various problems playing music through Bluetooth and using the phone. The car spent 4 hours at the dealer yesterday who told me everything was ok. They got the Volvo app working and checked everything was ok and working. 24 hours later the problems have started again. Volvo uk support have been useless. When I purchased the car I was told that it had Applecar play. Volvo are advertising the car as having it and Volvo support say all you do is connect your IPhone with the cable to the usb with the white circle. When it was at the dealer yesterday I ask about Apple car play and was told that the car does not have it and there will be an update in April that will have it.
My advice to anyone thinking of buying a Volvo with the Google system is if you have an IPhone do not buy the car. Volvo do not know how to solve these problems and tell you they are working on updates
Volvo do not like putting this information out there
Volvo have been little help with this issue
Stewart1359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 11:58   #2
Mikeg1

Sorry to read this.

I'd always understood Volvo's Smartphone Integration, the feature providing Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, is always a dealer retro-fit? Maybe it's different with the Google models.

Does the car have 2 USB sockets at the front, one ringed in white?
Mikeg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikeg1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 13:11   #3
peter312

As I understand it, the Android Auto and Apple Carplay integration is available as a cost extra for the Sensus systems. However, there is currently no Carplay option for the Google system although it has been suggested it will be available later this year.

Some MY22 Volvos come with the google system (e.g. the XC60) and some with Sensus (the S60 and V60, I think) but I’m not sure what the position is with the XC40 or even if there is a difference between the more basic XC40s and the one you have.
peter312 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter312 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 11:28   #4
Stewart1359

Default Usb sockets

When I purchased the car I was told it had apple CarPlay. Volvo support said all you do is connect the IPhone with a cable to the usb with the white ring and that is it working. The car was at another dealer on Thursday who said that no p8 had CarPlay and that an update was coming out in April. I can live with CarPlay. My problem is that I only listen to music by Bluetooth from my IPhone. Sometimes it works, other times there is no device connected, it stops while playing music and the only way to get it to play is to lock the car and open it again. I have the same problem with the phone side. It will also tell me to connect a phone even while it is playing music from the same phone.
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 10:56   #5
giftgrub100
giftgrub100

If you get connection issues, try two things, power off the phone and restart, select what you want to listen to and off you go, and if that does not work reset the centre screen, press and hold the home button for 30 secs approx until the Volvo logo appears, (essentially does a Ctrl Alt Delete) on the system.

Have one and no issues streaming from bluetooth, remember you also have built in data to power the Spotify and the many Radio apps in the car as well.
giftgrub100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to giftgrub100 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 09:04   #6
Stewart1359

Default I will try that

I don’t listen to anything other than music from my phone. The issue is that I would really like the system to work properly and not cut off my phone calls or my music.
Old Feb 26th, 2022, 06:22   #7
Ncannon4

Default XC40 battery

Hi Stewart,
Purchased a XC40 P6 pure electric, just a question on your battery on your car.
We are charging to 90% battery and only getting around 160-170 max. This is before we get in the car so not affected by driving styles or weather.
When you charge your car, what range does it say your battery will do?
Took it back to Volvo who said it seems ok, received the car 1st Feb 2022
Thanks
Nigel
Ncannon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2022, 09:16   #8
Stewart1359

Default Battery range

Thanks is a good question. I have never really paid any attention to this. I really only do short journeys and will say that I don’t get anywhere near the 250 mile range that Volvo claim. My usual journey first thing in the morning normally takes about 3 to 4 % just to do 1.5 miles. I like the car and enjoy driving it and have found it very good in the snow. My only issues are that Volvo said the car had Apple CarPlay which it doesn’t and I have issues with my IPhone which Volvo don’t seem able to fix. I will check what the battery rang is the next time I charge my car
Old Feb 28th, 2022, 17:10   #9
Oop north

The guessometer in a battery electric vehicle is usually set to take into account the weather and recent driving patterns (the main exception is Tesla whose system or rubbish because it’s never realistic - I understand it always uses the theoretical range initially and so won’t be accurate). None of them will at this time of year (possibly not at any time of the year) match what the results were in the laboratory test (under wltp). Volvo (and all other manufacturers) have to indicate the wltp figures for bev range as they are with mpg for ice cars

Setting off on a cold day will always use a disproportionate amount of the battery as it has to heat the cabin (and to some extent the battery). Travelling further will give better results

This is the same on the bmw i3 that I had for three years and the Jaguar iPace that I have had to 2 years 10 months (66000 electric miles between the two) and will no doubt be the same on the c40 we are about to get
Oop north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2022, 09:05   #10
Stewart1359

Default Bring honest

Thanks for sharing that information. Being honest it is not something that bothers me. I only do short journeys everyday and only charge the car about every 10 to 12 days. This will get slightly better as the weather improves and I am not using the heated,seats,steering wheel and windscreen. It is cheaper running this than my v90