Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fog Lights Not working

Views : 13729

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2015, 15:20   #21
Spetsnaz GSh
Master Member

But let's face it a T4 diesel would have probably been the pick of the range if they would have made one ...

2003 Volvo S40 T4 Sport
Anthracite Arcadias - OEM Strut Brace - Full 3" Exhaust System & 200 Cell Cat - Ashok's Custom Remap (1.35bar) - Earl's Performance Turbo Oil Feed - Ph1 Air Deflection Trims - Business Pack - Winter Pack - HID Xenon Headlamps
Spetsnaz GSh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spetsnaz GSh For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 15:58   #22
gatos
Premier Member

Actually, the codes for the 1.9D engines are D4192T3 (115Bhp) and D4192T3 (102Bhp)

So technically, I have a 1.9D T3 engine..... The lowered powered engine is 1.9D T4...... lol

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2015, 20:08   #23
Bjtech1954

Default Fog lights notworking

Hi All, my volvo S40 fog lights and parking lights were not working after checking all the fuses I opened up the CEM and with a little detective work found that the relay responsible for powering the fog lights and parking lights was the one on the left hand end ( see attachment ) this was clicking when turning on the parking lights but no power was getting through to the blue and violet wire the Blue and yellow wire 3rd and 4th from the left end, miraculously after clicking it on and off zillions of times power came through to the blue and violet and blue and yellow wires.
I was going to trace the wires along to their next destination somewhere under the dashboard, when my neighbor said that my lights were on, so I can only surmise that the relay had a dirty contact and switching it on and off many times eventually dislodged the dirt, I checked the Fog lights and they too were working, so that left hand end relay in the CEM is part of the parking light/fog light circuit, which comes on when you turn the light switch to parking lights when the ignition is off (fog lights don't work with ignition off) and comes on automatically when you start the engine.
I hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo S40 CEM.JPG (36.6 KB, 39 views)
Bjtech1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bjtech1954 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 16:57   #24
orangeworx

Default Won't turn on

Hey guys!
Came across this thread as I'm trying to diagnose my fog light issue...
I have an 01 S40 1.9T, north American model. It didn't come with fog lights originally, I picked up the fog lights and "upgraded" CEM (functional left button for front fogs)
Installed everything, it's already prewired as someone already mentioned..that went smooth but they won't turn on, not actual lights nor on the dash... Rear fog does turn on in the back and on dash.
I haven't started full diagnostics, just followed directions in the car manual on turning the fog lights on but nada.
While trying to read on the matter, someone mentioned that the car needs a software update while another user just plugged things and voila!

I'd love to hear from you guys
Thanks.

Edit: when I said CEM, I actually meant the control unit left side of steering wheel... I just removed this to look into it and tested the buttons while the controller was out... I can only hear the relay click in the CEM when pushing the rear fog button. No clicking when front fog button is pushed... Faulty CEM/front fog relay?
Are the CEMs the same for this car?
Edit 2: so I cracked the CEM open and it looks like above photo... Plugged it in and pushed the buttons, front and rear... Felt the clicking came from the white relay, leftmost on picture, only with rear button being pressed ... Didn't think of taking a picture of it though :/

Last edited by orangeworx; Jun 20th, 2017 at 17:45.
orangeworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 18:43   #25
canis
Non Fragile

It's a needlessly over-complicated bloody stupid setup, straight out of the Volvo Department of Silly Ideas. The switch provides momentary action, transistors handle the logic of whether that means turn on or off (a flip-flop, basically), the relay handles the current. All this simply so the switch is momentary rather than a dual-position. Oh, that and rule-setting about whether the car will 'allow' you to switch them on at all! Us mere drivers can't be trusted to manage our own light switches.

Don't even get me started on the main-beam doubling up as beam-flash - that must've been the Chief In Charge of Silly Ideas' own work, he put in overtime that day I reckon.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2017, 05:45   #26
orangeworx

Default Interesting response

Hey there @canis
I have to admit I also found it ridiculously complicated for just a couple of lights as I had just done a 2012 accord fog lights over the weekend and that took about 90 minutes, simple plug and play.

I thought it was on the s40 when I realized it was prewired, so I picked up the lights and hooked em up and switched the control module to one that has the fog button/switch. I spent a bunch of time trying to see where the problem could be to absolutely no avail.
A bit discouraging but I'd like to work it out still.
What are the things I should be looking for?
Thanks
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 15:03   #27
canis
Non Fragile

Some people have said it needs a 'software' update to the CEM, which only Volvo can do. I'm skeptical about this, but I don't have a good answer for you.

In the '80s, driving cars built ten years earlier, we'd be installing a relay and a toggle-switch. And it's what I'm gonna do to mine, one of these days, but I don't care about originality.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2017, 02:03   #28
orangeworx

Albeit simple and just as good solution, the relay/switch option isn't what I'm looking for, unfortunately. I'm going to give a dealership (or two) a call and try to pry a straight answer.
I appreciate the time, patience & input!
I'll update with more info as it might be useful for someone else
The Following User Says Thank You to orangeworx For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 21:17   #29
JoinTheResistance

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I just want to share some information on fog lights.

The CEM does indeed need to be reprogrammed through VIDA / DICE (or at a Volvo dealership) for the fog lights to work. Same goes for the rear wiper if transplanting an S40 module in a V40.
JoinTheResistance is offline   Reply With Quote