Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel hose sizes and types plus do you know this car?

Views : 923

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2010, 23:17   #1
slimlavud

Default Fuel hose sizes and types plus do you know this car?

I have just bought a 1995 Volvo 940 S TIC auto estate (wagon), I had a 740 TD previously that had the same small problem - dribbling return hoses on the injectors. I got round this on the 740 by shortening the original (original looking) braided hoses and stopped them leaking. I would like to change some of the original (looking) hose on this 940 as one of them is leaking. What are the hose sizes please - 3.2mm i.d., 3.4mm etc? Also, I will be running on veg oil so may as well fit hose that is tolerant of that. I have searched for a thread on this but did not find one.
Plus can anyone tell me if this car has hydraulic tappets please? I think it is likely built in 1994:
reg number: M94 BSW
VIN: YV1945745T1163241
Dark metallic green with grey cloth, ABS but no air con or sunroof.
If anyone knows the car at all, would like to know it's past, I got no history with it, or maybe I should not ask...
I think the car originated in Scotland and shows only 99,000 miles but has a bit of red Hermetite showing around the head gasket edge... never a good sign but it was cheap...
slimlavud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 00:03   #2
jor
VOC 20573

I changed mine to 3.4 mm. Not sure whether it is the right size or not, but there is no leak. AFAIK it's not veg oil that rubber objects to, but biodiesel.
The change to hydraulic tappets was in 93, so this head should have them, unless as you say alterations have been made..

jor
Old May 4th, 2010, 00:47   #3
slimlavud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
I changed mine to 3.4 mm. Not sure whether it is the right size or not, but there is no leak. AFAIK it's not veg oil that rubber objects to, but biodiesel.
The change to hydraulic tappets was in 93, so this head should have them, unless as you say alterations have been made..

jor
Thanks John
You may remember I was the guy that wanted a temp sender for my 740 diesel and you kindly offered a good used one? I sold the car though and bought this 940, hope it is better anyway...

Is there is good place to get the diesel return hose from please? Somewhere in West London or north London?
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:02   #4
jor
VOC 20573

Commonly available, just a few quid from Halfords or similar. Fingers crossed this one has been looked after, but with no history you will want to do the usual drill!

jor
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:20   #5
slimlavud

Quote:
Commonly available, just a few quid from Halfords or similar. Fingers crossed this one has been looked after, but with no history you will want to do the usual drill!

jor

Yes, thank you, did not think of Halfords. I have already changed the oil and filter, checked all the brakes, changed fluid and bled them. I think it does use a little water but will re-check all the hoses - a lot of white powdery stains in the engine bay, which look like it has been blowing water out in the past - maybe the white stains are Barr's Leaks/Radweld deposits...? Will change timing belt and check pump timing too, someone has messed about with the fuel screw but it does run very nicely, no smoke and starts with just a touch of the key, hot or cold. Could be a genuine 99,000 miles I suppose, has new Sachs rear shocks, Volvo fan and steering belts still on it and had Hengst oil filter fitted so might have been loved - no history at all with it.
Old May 4th, 2010, 10:12   #6
jor
VOC 20573

Sounds good, if so I hope you used synthetic! A mechanic in the US who has rebuilt upwards of 100 of these engines, mostly 740 D24T's (they did not import the 940 so do not have the Tic) maintains that you can run the engine for 25k on synthetic without risk.
Seems a bit much to me but I take his point.

jor
Old May 4th, 2010, 14:09   #7
slimlavud

Quote:
Sounds good, if so I hope you used synthetic! A mechanic in the US who has rebuilt upwards of 100 of these engines, mostly 740 D24T's (they did not import the 940 so do not have the Tic) maintains that you can run the engine for 25k on synthetic without risk.
Seems a bit much to me but I take his point.

jor
Yes, I actually used Havoline semi-synthetic as when I drained the old oil it dropped some major sludge lumps and I thought a pure synthetic might stir up more sludge and block things - it has happened to me before: an Aston 6-cylinder running well on mineral oils for a long time (about 30 years I suppose!), change to synthetic and it did its cam berarings in - stripped it and found a load of dislodged sludge had blocked the small oilways. Not that Aston engines are that good to start with frankly...
I will use synthetic at the next change; as I posted on April 1, got a load of half price Havoline synthetic at Morrison's - £8.49 for 5 litres! I posted it on this forum but I think maybe some people thought it was an April Fool prank?!
I ran a Citroen CX non-turbo diesel with a new factory (not re-conned) engine fitted, for 175,000 miles on synthetic only (changed every 6,000 miles - I had a free source of Castrol RS in those days!) and it still had clear oil when I sold it - no carbon black at all, so it does work for sure.