Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My V70- A Rolling Restoration Project.

Views : 5312

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2021, 10:49   #51
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
following with interest because I have the same, albeit an auto

have done some of same but most interested in wheel refurb and caliper bits in case mine go wrong (fine so far touch wood)

debating whether to get happy with sander and tw@ cans, or just pay someone to powder coat.. £250 for the latter which seems reasonable tbh for a long lasting good look. but I do respect a good DIY

I like the variable camber upgrade in the last pic
I went down the DIY route with mine. I cleaned the calipers the best I could to get rid of the loose debris, then used brake cleaner to give them a further clean. A few tins of Hammerite metal paint from Halford's & they came out brilliant. That's nearly two years ago now & they still look great.

Admittedly, this was before I changed my alloys. If I knew at the time I was painting the calipers that I'd be changing the alloys & refurbing them, then I would have got the spray shop to do it all.

So if you're planning on refurbing the wheels too, then you may as well get the place of choice to do your calipers.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 26th, 2021 at 10:51.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 11:12   #52
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
if you're planning on refurbing the wheels too, then you may as well get the place of choice to do your calipers.
good call, I didn't think of that.. cheers

im trying to think of what colours to go with.. Silver car, black wheels seem bit a boy racery but dont show up dirt lol. white wheels are a bit 'rally' but probably totally out of character with the estate lol. gun metal grey maybe.,

bright yellow porshey calipers? haha maybe just black, clean and fresh without being shouty

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 13:54   #53
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPTJoe View Post
Next thrilling update re my V70 recue mission- The fuel filter was changed.
That filter is in surprisingly poor condition, I replaced my one a few years back and it only had light surface rust.

How difficult was it to replace the ABS ring?
I have heard it can be a real pain to get the old one off, how did u do that?

Thanks for all the updates, a lot of us really enjoy them!
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 16:37   #54
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
good call, I didn't think of that.. cheers

im trying to think of what colours to go with.. Silver car, black wheels seem bit a boy racery but dont show up dirt lol. white wheels are a bit 'rally' but probably totally out of character with the estate lol. gun metal grey maybe.,

bright yellow porshey calipers? haha maybe just black, clean and fresh without being shouty
Gun metal grey would be my preference on a silver car.
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 21:49   #55
LPTJoe

Thanks for the kind words chaps- I'm glad people enjoy the thread.

I've read lots of 'Only use Volvo parts' advice here and also been horrified by the prices people seem to be paying for garage work on their cars.

It takes time to upload pictures and TBH it's a bit of a pain but probably worth it if it inspires people to have a go. My motivation, rather than making a 'How to' or an instructional topic, is to show the realities of running/maintaining an old Volvo (Or any car for that matter) using decent aftermarket parts and DIYing wherever is possible... Everything from timing belts (Earlier in the thread) to simple brake work and servicing is here.

@BlueRubber- The ABS rings are simple enough, this one had a split in the ring already, but if that wasn't the case I'd just cut with a dremmel or similar and knock the ring of that way... It honestly took less than 45 minutes in total to change so don't let people put you off with anecdotes of it being difficult.
LPTJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2021, 19:07   #56
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPTJoe View Post
@BlueRubber- The ABS rings are simple enough, this one had a split in the ring already, but if that wasn't the case I'd just cut with a dremmel or similar and knock the ring of that way... It honestly took less than 45 minutes in total to change so don't let people put you off with anecdotes of it being difficult.
Thanks for the info, that is reassuring.
Mine are still ok for now but given the age and mileage on my car I know they will likely need doing at some point.

For now my next challenge I think will be replacing the exhaust as it has started to blow, or maybe I can fix it. Need to look into it!