Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Road Signs: Time to change to Metric?

Views : 33306

Replies : 358

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Should road signs be update to metric units?
Yes 75 27.37%
No 199 72.63%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 07:04   #331
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Ha ha Malcolm,

If I take a strawberry weighing (let's say) 1 oz, and I put it in a large container, let's say a 1 gallon bucket, then the density of strawberries is 1 oz/gal. Okay, let's add another strawberry to the gallon bucket and I've beaten science by doubling the density of strawberries to 2 oz/gallon.

Do you think I'll get a Nobel prize for working out how to double the density of matter, after all if I keep adding strawberries I can make matter almost infinitely dense and so make my own nuclear fusion reactor in the shed?

Science eh! :-)

Alan
Interesting, Alan, but we are not talking about altering the density of strawberries, but the difference between the density of product and air. Simply remove air, and you can get more product into the same volume, so it will weigh more. And you do this by using smaller pieces. It’s the difference between theory and practice, so no, I don’t think I was pulling your leg.

But it’s well over 50 years since I did physics A level........
The Following User Says Thank You to Baxlin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 07:32   #332
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxlin View Post
Interesting, Alan, but we are not talking about altering the density of strawberries, but the difference between the density of product and air. Simply remove air, and you can get more product into the same volume, so it will weigh more. And you do this by using smaller pieces. It’s the difference between theory and practice, so no, I don’t think I was pulling your leg.

But it’s well over 50 years since I did physics A level........
Hi again Malcolm,

Perhaps it is me that is pulling your leg then - it is 38 years since I completed my physics degree :-)

Good fortune,

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 07:40   #333
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Looking at your avatar, I suppose you also topped me in the Services.....

I was only a Corporal Air Trafficker.......

😁😁😁
The Following User Says Thank You to Baxlin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 07:47   #334
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxlin View Post
Looking at your avatar, I suppose you also topped me in the Services.....

I was only a Corporal Air Trafficker.......

😁😁😁
Hi again,

That was all in the past - there is no topping anyone here.

I was an Army colonel (retired now). There is nothing at all wrong with being a corporal in the Royal Air Force, I'm sure you are (rightly) very proud of that.

Good fortune,

Alan
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 08:46   #335
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Morning, Alan; morning Malcolm. I have the dubious honour of having failed my Physics 'O' level in 1965, but - all leg-pulling apart - I think you could both be right. Malcolm's point about air 'pockets' is the logic behind flat pack goods - Ingvar Kamprad knew that well!

Regards, John.
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 09:02   #336
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Morning, Alan; morning Malcolm. I have the dubious honour of having failed my Physics 'O' level in 1965, but - all leg-pulling apart - I think you could both be right. Malcolm's point about air 'pockets' is the logic behind flat pack goods - Ingvar Kamprad knew that well!

Regards, John.
Of course John. Malcolm and I were just enjoying some light hearted banter - we both understand each other's points perfectly well.

:-)

Alan
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 09:35   #337
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

You guys get up early for your banter
But oddly this popped up on youtube last night, with a guy shredding aluminium cans to get more in the pot (quite why he felt the need to shred them 10 times escapes me).

I've gone right off strawberries now Alan has said they're nuclear.

But on the question of density why when I was working delivering into the building trade did people believe wet sand was less dense than dry sand? to me logically the water fills the interstices of the dry sand so adding weight and density.

And that brings to mind the story of the University lecturer who at the start of the term takes a large jar and gets a student to pour in some sand, the next student pours in some gravel, the last student is given some cobbles to put in but the jar is already half full of sand and gravel to full to fit all of the cobbles in; the lecturer then gets another jar, pits in the cobbles, then the gravel which slips between the cobbles, then the sand which flows between the gravel, and it all fits. He then tells the students that this is about priorities, the cobbles represent the big things in life so fit them in first, then fit the next most important things around them, then fill your time with the other stuff. The students take in the message, but the lecturer then pours in a can of beer and declares 'But no matter what, there's always room for a beer!'.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 09:45   #338
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
You guys get up early for your banter
But oddly this popped up on youtube last night, with a guy shredding aluminium cans to get more in the pot (quite why he felt the need to shred them 10 times escapes me).

I've gone right off strawberries now Alan has said they're nuclear.

But on the question of density why when I was working delivering into the building trade did people believe wet sand was less dense than dry sand? to me logically the water fills the interstices of the dry sand so adding weight and density.

And that brings to mind the story of the University lecturer who at the start of the term takes a large jar and gets a student to pour in some sand, the next student pours in some gravel, the last student is given some cobbles to put in but the jar is already half full of sand and gravel to full to fit all of the cobbles in; the lecturer then gets another jar, pits in the cobbles, then the gravel which slips between the cobbles, then the sand which flows between the gravel, and it all fits. He then tells the students that this is about priorities, the cobbles represent the big things in life so fit them in first, then fit the next most important things around them, then fill your time with the other stuff. The students take in the message, but the lecturer then pours in a can of beer and declares 'But no matter what, there's always room for a beer!'.
Excellent David, good story.
Alan
PS. I'm not really making a nuclear fusion reactor out of strawberries in my shed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 10:24   #339
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Actually, Dave, I had put reference to a similar version of that story in one of my replies to Alan, but deleted it and decided to go with strawberries instead. Like me, they are sweeter.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baxlin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 14:25   #340
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Smile

Going totally metric......

How about going the whole hog and perhaps change to driving on the right?
Just like Sweden did in 1997.

Kungsgatan_1967-Ratioed.jpg

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer

Last edited by Rustyfrog; Oct 27th, 2020 at 14:29.
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote