Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wireless CarPlay

Views : 8203

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2020, 20:50   #31
GTA SOL

What’s the sound quality like when listening to Spotify via the wireless car play? Is it the same as via the wired car play connection?
Thanks
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 20:40   #32
S60Chris
Master Member

Thanks all.

I've ordered a Carplay2air, but it's been delayed and won't be dispatched until mid Feb due to the Wuhan Coronavirus.

I take it phone call quality etc is all OK over wireless CarPlay?
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 07:06   #33
D3GGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60Chris View Post
Thanks all.

I've ordered a Carplay2air, but it's been delayed and won't be dispatched until mid Feb due to the Wuhan Coronavirus.

Yes calls are great over wireless.
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 10:08   #34
GTA SOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3GGY View Post
Yes calls are great over wireless.
D3GGY - how is the Spotify sound quality over wireless?
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 12:33   #35
Crockers
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60Chris View Post
Thanks all.

Unless you're coughing or wearing a face mask.
Old Mar 14th, 2020, 18:03   #36
encroute

I also bought both the Wireless Charger and the Wireless CarPlay2AIR - but the Android version.

First the charger
Very neat snug fit, and the rubber ring stops the phone (Samsung S8 in a standard clear case) from moving around. Looks like a Volvo product. Very happy.

One issue I've found - if were in the car together, I may pop out while my wife sits in the car. If I switch the engine off and then the ignition back on, so the radio does not power down, and leave the phone on unit charging, when I return the car cannot detect my key (The key plate is covered by the unit) - so I have to remove the phone to stop it charging.
Too many magnetic fields!

Note this is only if the ignition is left on AND the phone is charging - No charging phone, no problem.

The Android version of CarPlay2Air
This has been a total waste of time.
Not sure what it's supposed to do, as the Instructions are a mix of Apple and Android. The Bluetooth connection flashes, but isn't discoverable in the car, or when tested in my house.
The current USB cable used for Android Auto does not work when going via the unit - so I'm not sure what was supposed to happen.

The Andoid App (mentioned briefly in the instructions) does not see the Car when connected to the car and the phone - with or without the USB Cable.

After ordering, I noticed that "Android Auto via cable" on the Android version - which a) does not work, and b) negates the point of the unit.

Returning it as there is a fault - but what was it supposed to offer if Not Wireless Android Auto?
encroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2020, 22:13   #37
DangerMUK
VOC Member

Hey Guys,

Is there any further updates to the wireless carplay products since you've started using them?

Did software make them more reliable/work with the steering wheel/drivers dash display?

Thanks

Possibly XC90
DangerMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 23:40   #38
amadan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMUK View Post
Hey Guys,

Is there any further updates to the wireless carplay products since you've started using them?

Did software make them more reliable/work with the steering wheel/drivers dash display?

Thanks
I know some of the American Volvo owners on Swede Speed have them and the reception has been rather mixed by what I can tell. Not that I want to break any rules by cross posting etc but you might want to check them out - although I'm not 100% it's the same devices.

I got the impression it wasn't a patch on proper wireless car play which is a mature and relatively well supported product on some marques - BMW have had it since 2016 - especially when it came to multiple phones and switching between them.

WRT to dash display - that's a feature Volvo would need to support as an update to the car software I think. I might well be wrong here but I don't know if any manufacturor supports that yet - BMW is probably the most likely as they seem to push out apple updates fairly quickly.

Carplay and AA seem a bit of a strange and somewhat tense issue between Apple/Google and the car makers. On one hand people want it - on another why bother paying £1000s for mapping etc in the car if you can use google maps - I suspect this is one of the reasons why we won't see HUD/Driver display support for carplay very quickly. Certainly I always used to use the GPS in my BMW for directions as I got them in the HUD and was almost as good as google maps/waze etc, Sensus not so much isn't as good so it depends on where I'm going.
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amadan For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 13:33   #39
WhatNext?

There is one in production for Android Auto wireless. It was on Indiegogo. The developers have experience of this on terms of development on Android.

Can't wait for it to become available

(NB for Android Auto wireless only)
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 16:28   #40
Wedge0107

DangerMUK. My Carplay2Air arrived yesterday (2 weeks to arrive from China). It worked straight away, although there was a firmware update available, which I installed (full instructions on box). Works great, no noticeable lag glad I bought it. On switch on, Spotify for instance comes on much quicker through Carplay than it does through the inbuilt Spotify app in the car, so a bonus. You can use the steering controls to move tracks / volume. Best bit is controlling everything through long press of voice button on steering wheel to ask Siri to send texts/ Whatsapp / find music tracks etc... Drivers dash display doesn't show the Apple / Google map, however if you configure the settings in the car it will show the media playing (artwork too) on all apps e.g. BBC Sounds, Spotify, Podcasts etc... I have a wireless charger too and all seems to work very well.
V90 MY20 D4 Osmium Grey Momentum Plus with Xenium Pack | Winter Pack | Heated Windscreen | BLIS | Tinted Windows | Keyless Entry | 4-Zone Climate | Hands Free Tailgate | Mud Flaps | Tempa Spare | Wireless Apple CarPlay
Wedge0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wedge0107 For This Useful Post: