Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My V70- A Rolling Restoration Project.

Views : 5182

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2020, 21:28   #1
LPTJoe

Default My V70- A Rolling Restoration Project.

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread here about my personal car- a 2001 2.4 manual NA with only 91k on the clock, bought to save from certain death last year for £NotVeryMuch.

Here she is when I bought her almost exactly a year ago...

Problems were (But not limited to)...

Warning messages (Various)
Sticking callipers all round
Missfire
Every panel battered/scratched
Front passenger wheel bearing howling
Alloys horrendously corroded
Filthy having been used as a builders van
Cruise control inoperative

I'll post updates here bit by bit to show my thrilling progress

Joe

Last edited by LPTJoe; Oct 16th, 2020 at 22:34.
LPTJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 08:44   #2
LPTJoe

First up was a general health check/investigation of what I'd actually bought.

Vacuum was checked using ye-olde glove method and found to be all ok/very good.

Tyres appeared to be pretty much new...

Timing belt was overdue even by Volvo's ambitious service interval...

It also appeared that at some point in it's life the car had likely (Towbar fitted) been used to drag catamarans around in Scotland...

Last edited by LPTJoe; Oct 17th, 2020 at 08:58.
The Following User Says Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 16:33   #3
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Are you planning on a spark plug change? The non-turbo uses the Volvo 3 prong plug and NO OTHER.
If you're doing so I suggest doing a compression check. Get a gauge with a hose to reach down the wells.

Have you checked each glide pin boot and cap? There are 2 on each caliper. A 7mm male hex socket is what you need. Clean 'em and relube them. I had 2 missing caps and one boot was chewed away by something.

You have a separate fuel filter. Even with alcohol laced fuels (at least here in the US) your filter is 20 years old.

As always, check the condition of your parking brake shoes. If the lining breaks off (the glue fails) the pieces can cause expensive damage.

If the PS fluid is old and dirty OR if it's red (meaning it's transmission fluid) change it to Pentosin CHF-11S. It's pale, transparent green.

My '02 looked just like yours.
An identical car owned by a construction fellow parked next to me. His was a battle wagon.

Last edited by Georgeandkira; Oct 19th, 2020 at 16:37.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 19:31   #4
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Are you planning on a spark plug change? The non-turbo uses the Volvo 3 prong plug and NO OTHER.
My car had the 3 prong NGK spark plugs fitted and it ran fine, I swapped them to the OEM plugs and the engine also ran fine.
Interestingly the NGK plugs were slightly longer than the OEM ones, by maybe a few millimeters.
Anyway, would still suggest to buy the OEM spark plugs, they arn't very expensive.

Would also be worth flushing the coolant system and replace the coolant with OEM. I paid about £18 for 4 liters of concentrate from my local dealer.
Great video by a forum member on how to do that here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMkRdCUAlks&t=3s

Keep us updated on your progress.
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 19:49   #5
LPTJoe

Thanks chaps

Bear in mind I'm now a year on from buying the car and lots of this stuff has been done- I'm uploading pics and documenting my journey when I get a moment spare, most posts at this stage are retrospective.

Eventually I'll catch up with where I'm at now, but wanted to use this topic as a place to document work past and present.

Last edited by LPTJoe; Oct 19th, 2020 at 20:05.
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 20:01   #6
LPTJoe

Next on the list was an engine service

The air filter had seen better days, but I've seen much worse. Changed for genuine Volvo in this instance- I have a trade account with them and it cost no more for the OE filter vs the Man/Bosch stuff I'd usually use...

The old plugs didn't look too bad either...

They were changed for the three prong NGK plugs @BlueRubber describes. Whilst in there the coils were cleaned/inspected and much of the crumbling cable insulation was replaced...

And finally the oil was changed using fully synthetic Shell oil of the correct spec and a genuine Volvo filter (Again as this cost no more than Man/Bosch)

Last edited by LPTJoe; Oct 19th, 2020 at 20:07.
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 20:05   #7
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Thanks for the update. Your plugs looks much better than mine did:
https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...AsUnwifpkHL7yk

Out of interest how do you clean and inspect the coils?
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 20:11   #8
LPTJoe

They actually don't look too terrible to me either, but I've seen some shocking stuff car wise so I'm perhaps jaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubber View Post

Out of interest how do you clean and inspect the coils?
Check connection points for obvious signs of arcing/corrosion, spray and rinse points thoroughly with contact cleaner (Aerosol), and a generous smear of dialectric grease to the tops of the new plugs before pushing the coils on.
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 22:12   #9
LPTJoe

Next step was to replace the growling wheel bearing...

Not the easiest bearing I've done but not the most difficult either. The bearing itself was a part from 'Nordic'... Perhaps a poor choice compared with SKF or more expensive options but it's caused me no problems thus far, also, if I have to go back it's not too bad of a job.

After that the carpeted floor mats were given a thorough wet and dry. The filth that came out of them had to be seen to be believed...

Last edited by LPTJoe; Oct 23rd, 2020 at 22:19.
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 22:40   #10
LPTJoe

Next step was the timing belt.

By this stage I'd had the car about 6 weeks and decided it was a 'keeper'. I'd grown far too fond of it to continue playing Russian Roulette (See timing belt sticker image on post #2)

A Gates kit (My kit of choice) was bought with great care taken to ensure the earlier tensioner type was included...

No turning back... In all honesty Volvo belts are a pleasure to change. This one took about 2 hours all in and was in relaity not that much more involved than the belts on the old 700/900 series engines once the job got underway.

Old vs new...

And job jobbed...

Although I've never spoken to @Clan and the other Volvo grey beards of the web, I'd stumbled upon their wisdom RE leaving the waterpump alone. Bearings were checked for play and the pump was inspected for leaks. All tests were passed and so through gritted teeth the original pump was left in place.

Last edited by LPTJoe; Oct 23rd, 2020 at 22:45.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post: