Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1961 Volvo PV544 in Holland

Views : 83234

Replies : 750

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2020, 12:53   #731
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
That's looking great. Luckily, until the last couple of days, the weather has been fantastic and ideal for doing this sort of work. Go man, go.
...just as you mentioned the weather - guess what happened!
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 11:58   #732
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Pre-winter workshop update

Things have not been going to plan. I wanted this done by April 2020

Still I'm almost ready for the winter - just need to fit my self made window frames (took too long to make) and then three of the four sides will be wind and water proof.

Front elevation =>

The big doors are a bit on the heavy side and I haven't got the insulation fitted in them yet. I need to figure out a strong hinge solution to make sure they survive that unexpected gust of wind...

...the eight windows give a fair amount of light but I will need to add in a load of LED lighting for working. Roof lights were planned but I've run out of money.

It is a bit like every episode of "Grand Designs" here with the exception of the imminent arrival of a baby (!)

Rear elevation =>

I've got an emergency exit and two church windows. Not a warm side of the building here so I haven't gone for too much glass here.

The little square covers near to the lower corners of the roof are for a ventilation system so I don't gas myself when spraying paint or welding.

The drip ledges above doors and the window sills are all folded aluminium =>

This took longer than expected...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Workshop progress8.jpg (185.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Workshop progress9.jpg (221.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Workshop progress10.jpg (211.2 KB, 77 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 13:48   #733
old fart
Master Member

Nice work. I'm not surprised it's taking longer. Maybe April 2021.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 09:45   #734
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
Nice work. I'm not surprised it's taking longer. Maybe April 2021.
I hope it won't take that long - really want to stop paying rent for storage
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 13:46   #735
Rocinante
Master Member

If you don't mind me asking, I assume that you planning on being able to drive cars in/out of this, but there is a step up in to it.

As you built the ground up originally, could you not have built the entrance at ground level to enable access / egress ?
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 14:22   #736
simon roberts

Might something to do with the sea level.....🛳⚓️⛴🚤🛥😜
simon roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simon roberts For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 14:32   #737
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
If you don't mind me asking, I assume that you planning on being able to drive cars in/out of this, but there is a step up in to it.

As you built the ground up originally, could you not have built the entrance at ground level to enable access / egress ?
I don't mind folks asking questions - that's why I'm posting all this stuff on a forum - all about discussion isn't it?

(Perhaps that reaction was too literal - but I think it is worth mentioning just in case)

######

Bit of a long story about the raised level I'm sorry to say (!)

Where I'm living here in the Netherlands it is on reclaimed ground (well old fen land). I'm just a bit higher than sea level but quite close to a canal and a huge waterway network where I think it is possible that despite the excellent Dutch attitude towards water managment flooding is a possibility.

My house is slightly raised (by about 50cm) too. I figured because I want to fill my new workshop with things I'd rather not get wet it was worth raising it up a bit.

Whilst some people might call this structure a garage it won't be used in the conventional "garage" way. I'm going to build an at-ground-level car port for more frequent ins and outs.

I will have at least one vehicle in the workshop at a time but any vehicle that makes it inside is unlikely to come out for several years. (Just look at the dismal Volvo progress in this thread!)

I'll be making a couple of ramps that will allow vehicles to be pushed inside. I'm conisdering one of those cheapo electric winches to help pull it up the slope (like a beached whale)...

...but already have a hand winch (that gets used for pulling out tree stumps) so might not bother...
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 12:35   #738
Derek UK
VOC Member

I have a friend in Zaandam who when he had his garage built, actually more of an industrial unit, he had to have piles put in for stability and support. It was a requirement of the planning permission. That was adjacent to a canal too but I don't know if it was reclaimed land. After a few years a house developement company made him an offer he couldn't refuse so that they could add his land to theirs for a big project. He did mange to find another house that he could transfer his 4 post lift to so all was well.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 15:15   #739
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
I have a friend in Zaandam who when he had his garage built, actually more of an industrial unit, he had to have piles put in for stability and support. It was a requirement of the planning permission. That was adjacent to a canal too but I don't know if it was reclaimed land. After a few years a house developement company made him an offer he couldn't refuse so that they could add his land to theirs for a big project. He did mange to find another house that he could transfer his 4 post lift to so all was well.
I don't know that part of the Netherlands particularly well. If you look at old maps of the country that is a part that has, in modern geological tmes, always been there. I guess there it is more about sea defences rather than pumping out boggy ground.

It is now quite a pricy part of the country - but then - house prices have gone absolutely mental in the last few years. When I first moved here the housing market seemed quire sober when compared to the UK house price escalations of the time.

Apparently house prices have increased by 10% since the summer putting the national average at about 330K. I guess that hike wasn't due to the buy to let explosion that has forced up prices in recent years. At 330K I can't see anyone making more than 5% before tax on that unless the trick is to convert everything to a HMO...

...the Dutch tax authorities did admit a few years back that they can't do their work properly any more; so perhaps there's a trick I've not heard about. To be honest since I've been building this shed I've been shocked at how many people selling stuff ask if I need a receipt. It has added an irritating element of "well how much will it be with VAT applied then?" - which means I have to restart the bargaining procedure to get a good legal deal.

One of these days the Dutch tax man will wake up - I think there could be a fair amount of people in hot water - but then again there's usually a deal to be made in the world of business (much like the discrepancy between the tax paid being self employed in the UK and being on PAYE)
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 12:57   #740
Rocinante
Master Member

Jumping back significantly, I have a query about the car's bodywork. (I hadn't read your thread at the time it was posted).

I read that you had to remove mm's of filler from all over the body work, but are going for an exposed finish, showing the metal off.

Was the filler not there for a reason, ie to fill dents. Did you have to do a significant amount of repair to the bodywork to be able to do the exposed finish you wanted. It wasn't apparent from the posts that much in the way in dent repair was carried out. You documented the replacement sections for the corrosion, but I didn't see anything related to this, but may have missed it.

I haven't any experience of this sort of thing, but if the panel was damaged to the extent that it had plenty of filler on it, I would have thought it difficult to return it to a state that you would want to show off ?
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote