Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

polyurethane bushings shot

Views : 4383

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2020, 13:57   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsiss View Post
Myford stuff has gone through the roof due to the convenient size. I paid £500 for mine from a local Myford dealer but I suspect it’d be a lot more now (not as much as one with a gearbox on it though, mine only has the change gears).
That's comforting to know, maybe i'll even make a profit on my Myford when i sell it!

In the meantime, while trawling fleabay for something else, this popped up :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100mm-4-c...h/313138386428

A bit more solid than the aluminium and green things, 120mm X and 100mm Y travel which should be enough for most things i'll need to do, hopefully a much better option than the aluminium and green things as i've just ordered one and a cheap set of slot mill bits (2-12mm) which again, should be good enough to get me started and i'll replace the worn/broken ones piecemeal with better quality.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 11:27   #22
mhuk

Update, Retroturbo has now supplied new bushes for those returned. These inner tie rod bushes are different design. I understand from someone else that some of these did have a problem but who knows which was ones!

If you contact retroturbo you might get a replacement. It’s worth asking but note his email replies take forever. It’s certainly been a slog .

Good on retroturbo for sorting the issue.
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 08:18   #23
crogthomas
Master Member

A good outcome.

For those thinking of making some nylon bushes for the anti roll bars - I did look into it but found that the Volvo anti-roll bars are not perfectly straight at the mounting points which means they would bind in the more rigid nylon type bearing. They need the flexibility of the polyurethane to allow for this misalignment.
crogthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crogthomas For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 11:42   #24
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's comforting to know, maybe i'll even make a profit on my Myford when i sell it!

In the meantime, while trawling fleabay for something else, this popped up :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100mm-4-c...h/313138386428

A bit more solid than the aluminium and green things, 120mm X and 100mm Y travel which should be enough for most things i'll need to do, hopefully a much better option than the aluminium and green things as i've just ordered one and a cheap set of slot mill bits (2-12mm) which again, should be good enough to get me started and i'll replace the worn/broken ones piecemeal with better quality.

Seller is in Hong Kong. Now firmly part of the People's Republic of economic and viral warfare. Difficult to avoid buying Chinese. But we all receive the consequences of what some of us knowingly pay for.

And there is a reason why some nations are boosting their naval fleets including carriers .... be very afraid.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Aug 21st, 2020 at 11:45.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 11:03   #25
Millie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuk View Post
Some of you might have seen my issues with the steering. The steering wheel when holding a turn on a long bend feels as it's it tugging yet I get no movement on the steering wheel. It's just a feeling like being tugged back.

Back in late 2018 I replaced the front bushes with a set from retroturbo. It's after this and some time I started to get this feeling.
First off, go easy on me. I'm new to both Volvo and wrenching (N. American expat) on cars. I've mostly messed with motorcycles before taking them to a professional to fix my mistakes. With that said, I'm here to learn and a keen student.

Proud new keeper of member icurnow's 2006 v70 d5 185.

The symptom described about holding a turn on a long bend is exactly what I'm experiencing.

Here's where I show my ignorance.

When talking about front bushes, are we talking about control arm bushes?

Can anyone drop me a link to a correct replacement so that I can further my research?

much appreciated.

Edit - appreciate this isn't the v70 forum

Last edited by Millie20; Oct 20th, 2020 at 11:05.
Millie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millie20 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 11:53   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie20 View Post
First off, go easy on me. I'm new to both Volvo and wrenching (N. American expat) on cars. I've mostly messed with motorcycles before taking them to a professional to fix my mistakes. With that said, I'm here to learn and a keen student.

Proud new keeper of member icurnow's 2006 v70 d5 185.

The symptom described about holding a turn on a long bend is exactly what I'm experiencing.

Here's where I show my ignorance.

When talking about front bushes, are we talking about control arm bushes?

Can anyone drop me a link to a correct replacement so that I can further my research?

much appreciated.

Edit - appreciate this isn't the v70 forum
For the most part in this case, yes we are referring to the control arm bushes. The suspension design on the V70 is different to the 7/9xx design because the V70 is FWD so other factors come into play as well. Does your tugging feeling alter if you add a bit more power or take some away? Also do you know if you're wheel alignment is spot on? Any FWD car is more sensitive to slight misalignments when cornering than a RWD car.

As for part numbers, i think you'd honestly be better off asking in the relevant section of the V70 forum as you're more likely to get the correct answer. I had a brief look at one source of information i use and it appears there's more than one type of lower control arm fitted to yours - i could be misinterpretating what i'm seeing though.

Best bet would be to phone your local Volvo dealer and if they're not helpful, try one of the others recommended on here like Trust in London (formerly Braydons), FRF in Swansea or another recommended dealer local to you.

Even if you don't order the parts from them, they should be able to confirm the part number for you so you can hunt for various aftermarket options.

https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/

That place is also quite good, have a browse through the site and see what you can find!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 12:54   #27
Millie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
For the most part in this case, yes we are referring to the control arm bushes. The suspension design on the V70 is different to the 7/9xx design because the V70 is FWD so other factors come into play as well. Does your tugging feeling alter if you add a bit more power or take some away? Also do you know if you're wheel alignment is spot on? Any FWD car is more sensitive to slight misalignments when cornering than a RWD car.

As for part numbers, i think you'd honestly be better off asking in the relevant section of the V70 forum as you're more likely to get the correct answer. I had a brief look at one source of information i use and it appears there's more than one type of lower control arm fitted to yours - i could be misinterpretating what i'm seeing though.

Best bet would be to phone your local Volvo dealer and if they're not helpful, try one of the others recommended on here like Trust in London (formerly Braydons), FRF in Swansea or another recommended dealer local to you.

Even if you don't order the parts from them, they should be able to confirm the part number for you so you can hunt for various aftermarket options.

https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/

That place is also quite good, have a browse through the site and see what you can find!
Thanks so much Dave, appreciate you taking the time. I only realised I was in the wrong forum after posting.

I haven't tried playing with the power when I experience the tug. Never one to turn away an excuse to go for a drive, I'll try it this afternoon. Fortunately, the car came with a full history. The alignment was done last year, so I suppose there's no guarantee it's still spot on.

Thanks for the pointers on suppliers. I'm in s.e London so will try trust as a first port of call alongside posting in the right section.

Thanks again.

Also Dave.
Millie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millie20 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 21:48   #28
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

They are very well known for wearing out the wishbone bushes on those models. The front ones wear the worst. As the front bush is a void bush it is common to replace them in poly

https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Poly_..._13484633.aspx

If staying with rubber then I would suggest complete arms and genuine Volvo if possible still
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2021, 13:06   #29
AdrianJ

12K km ago a complete set of Retro Turbo multi-link type I bushes was installed on my 1993 Volvo 960. Big mistake as it turned out. Especially the bushes for the lower wishbones caused trouble. I found out that the holes were widened severely as if the polyurethane inside was actually made of clay (pict). After only six months driving this created so much play that the wishbones started rubbing against the outer edge of the inside of the rims. Since this tells me enough about the **** quality of the used material, I absolutely need to change all the bushings of this set before worse things will happen. And that is a problem since unfortunately there are no replacement bushes available for the multi-link type I anymore.
My question for you is if there is a company that still sells a reliable poly bushing set or could fabricate these bushes for me. I am willing to pay a good price for it. After spending good money for modifying engine, drive train, big brakes incl new booster/mbc and front and rear suspension (Kaplhenke), I am not considering leaving the car (pict) in its current condition.
I hope you can give me some tips for the right direction.

By the way, I emailed Pete from Retro Turbo three times. His answer after months of waiting: "Will forward your email to my business partner to see what have happened there." That was two months ago. How does this company survive?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 960.jpg (393.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg wishbone bushing.jpg (258.0 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by AdrianJ; Dec 15th, 2021 at 13:14.
AdrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianJ For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2021, 13:25   #30
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianJ View Post
12K km ago a complete set of Retro Turbo multi-link type I bushes was installed on my 1993 Volvo 960. Big mistake as it turned out. Especially the bushes for the lower wishbones caused trouble. I found out that the holes were widened severely as if the polyurethane inside was actually made of clay (pict). After only six months driving this created so much play that the wishbones started rubbing against the outer edge of the inside of the rims. Since this tells me enough about the **** quality of the used material, I absolutely need to change all the bushings of this set before worse things will happen. And that is a problem since unfortunately there are no replacement bushes available for the multi-link type I anymore.
My question for you is if there is a company that still sells a reliable poly bushing set or could fabricate these bushes for me. I am willing to pay a good price for it. After spending good money for modifying engine, drive train, big brakes incl new booster/mbc and front and rear suspension (Kaplhenke), I am not considering leaving the car (pict) in its current condition.
I hope you can give me some tips for the right direction.

By the way, I emailed Pete from Retro Turbo three times. His answer after months of waiting: "Will forward your email to my business partner to see what have happened there." That was two months ago. How does this company survive?
Superflex seem to be the ones most people on here have used.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: