Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

failed on handbrake

Views : 1250

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2020, 17:58   #1
Dippydog
Premier Member

Default failed on handbrake

Today my 960 failed the M.o.T. on handbrake efficiency.ECP list two types one it says is not for the multi link axle and is 159mm the other{£1dearer} and is presumably for the multi link axle at 160mm but they say is for the Lucas braking system.E-Bay on the other hand list them at 160mm but say they're for the TRW braking system.My car certainly has the IRS rear suspension but how do I tell what braking system it has? Also while on the subject of handbrakes how is the cable adjuster accessed on the 960?Car is a 1995 MkII saloon 2.9 auto.
TIA.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2020, 18:49   #2
jpliddy
VOC Member

hi just wondering if yours can be adjusted which is common with our 940s now
do you know if the cable or brakes are still ok not broken if still good they should have a grease type stuff applied to the bits to slow down the rust and wear . first port of call see what is going on !
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2020, 18:51   #3
jpliddy
VOC Member

sorry not brakes the cable brackets
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2020, 20:24   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Today my 960 failed the M.o.T. on handbrake efficiency.ECP list two types one it says is not for the multi link axle and is 159mm the other{£1dearer} and is presumably for the multi link axle at 160mm but they say is for the Lucas braking system.E-Bay on the other hand list them at 160mm but say they're for the TRW braking system.My car certainly has the IRS rear suspension but how do I tell what braking system it has? Also while on the subject of handbrakes how is the cable adjuster accessed on the 960?Car is a 1995 MkII saloon 2.9 auto.
TIA.
If memory serves, Lucas/Lucas-Girling/Girling/TRW are one and the same. It sounds very much like the ones you need are the 160mm but as already advised, check the cables, shoes etc are free to move and the adjuster is set correctly.

How many clicks does it take to bring the handbrake on?

If the 960 is anything like the 760, remove the rear ashtray then use a screwdriver in the cente of the bottom of the panel above the ashtray that holds the seatbelt warning light and lever it out. Then pull it down and out and you should see the adjuster.

As i say, that's IF it's the same as the 760 but i think it would be somewhere close.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 13:06   #5
Laney760
VOC Member

I wasn't very nice to my handbrake when I worked as a carer for 9 months, tearing around stressed from place to place, clocked up maybe 25 thou in just 9 months and was forever just yanking it up without holding the button in. I ended up with a handbrake that had just a few clicks/notches and wouldn't hold but after adjustment afterwards at the Volvo indi in 2016 I ended up with a very good handbrake with lots of clicks/notches and it's been fine ever since.

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 14:23   #6
Dippydog
Premier Member

Teach me to read things properly Had a look at it today to see about getting to the adjuster.Pulled the rear ashtray out and looked for a screw holding the trim in and of course there isn't one[should have read/remembered L.S. saying lever it out with a screwdriver!To answer your question L.s. the handbrake lever pulls to 9 clicks-I might if I really,really heave on it get it to 10.There is no rear seat belt warning light nor[which is surprising to me in an executive type saloon]is there a rear cigarette lighter/power socket.Will try levering the ashtray surround/trim piece out on Monday[MotGP is on tomorrow]and see how I progress.If it comes to stripping the rear brakes to clean/adjust them I might as well at least have a new set of shoes to hand just in case especially as they're available at £14 + shrapnel for a set.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 14:47   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

At 9 clicks, it sounds as if adjustment is your answer. If memory serves it's 3-5 clicks on the Volvo and 11 clicks is maximum travel so that probably points to adjustment as first port of call, if that doesn't sort it, new shoes and adjustment.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 14:50   #8
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
At 9 clicks, it sounds as if adjustment is your answer. If memory serves it's 3-5 clicks on the Volvo and 11 clicks is maximum travel so that probably points to adjustment as first port of call, if that doesn't sort it, new shoes and adjustment.
I've got eleven clicks but it holds well but when there were only a few, before adjustment, it didn't hold well?

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 14:51   #9
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
I wasn't very nice to my handbrake when I worked as a carer for 9 months, tearing around stressed from place to place, clocked up maybe 25 thou in just 9 months and was forever just yanking it up without holding the button in. I ended up with a handbrake that had just a few clicks/notches and wouldn't hold but after adjustment afterwards at the Volvo indi in 2016 I ended up with a very good handbrake with lots of clicks/notches and it's been fine ever since.
Good to see that someone else usually presses the button when applying the handbrake. I hate to hear it ratcheting when someone just pulls the lever up. I fitted a “fly off” handbrake lever to my rally Triumph Herald. It only held in position if you pressed the button once the lever was pulled up. Then to release the handbrake just pull up and let go, no need to touch the button. If you pressed the button it would not release. That confused a few people.
Completely different now with electric handbrakes.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2020, 15:03   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
I've got eleven clicks but it holds well but when there were only a few, before adjustment, it didn't hold well?
Chances are the cables were stretched so with only a few clicks, it was only taking up the stretch in the cables and not really moving the shoes that had possibly rusted in position.

With both mine being auto i rarely use the handbrake and just put it in P and release the footbrake (very slowly and gently if on a slope to avoid over-stressing the parking pawl in the box) but i do check they work from time to time, just to keep them moving.

If you were as unkind as you suggest to your handbrake Ellie i think someone adjusted it so a strong pull would get it to hold on one more click than you normally managed, some handbrakes (like my Rover) need more clicks before they even think of working to give the auto-adjusters in the rear calipers (disc handbrake) space to operate in normal use, others with drums tend to not need that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: