Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hot start smoking - Specific Circumstances

Views : 2497

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2020, 10:46   #11
lynns hubby
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongSpearWorks View Post
Interesting... I think the previous owner chucked some k-seal in to try and hide the weeping heater core (another fun job down the line) so perhaps those smaller hoses are being restricted by that gunk.

Full flush coming soon I think.
Good call LS. I had a leak develop in the heater core (steam from the vents when trying to demist) whilst on holiday several years back in our 94 wentworth. To get me out of trouble at the time I pulled into the nearest garage and bought a bottle of the dreaded "K" Seal. It worked and as I had no further issues I left it. Year later and I drained, flushed and replaced the coolant as part of a pre winter service. No issues there, however a couple of years again and for whatever reason I needed to remove the cooling feed pipe to the turbo. It was blocked solid. Had to blow through with compressed air. Interestingly, I never had any issues to suggest there was a problem. Eventually had to change out the heater matrix and as we all know, that's another story.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 14:18   #12
StrongSpearWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Every time I take an intercooler off a 940 there is loads of oil inside of it, chances are yours needs the intercooler cleaning out for a start and see if that improves matters. If there is oil in the intercooler (I bet there is) then oil is getting past the turbo seals.
I had the intercooler side off to check for end float and it was clean as a whistle - admittedly, I wasn't looking very hard, but I was surprised to see nice shiny metal rather than oily sludge.

What's confusing me is how it's not instant... you can almost time it.
2 mins after setting off... it's a smoke screen, then it clears and is fine for the rest of the journey.
StrongSpearWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 14:40   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I had the intercooler side off to check for end float and it was clean as a whistle - admittedly, I wasn't looking very hard, but I was surprised to see nice shiny metal rather than oily sludge.

What's confusing me is how it's not instant... you can almost time it.
2 mins after setting off... it's a smoke screen, then it clears and is fine for the rest of the journey.
Check the lowest hose on the intercooler.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 15:12   #14
StrongSpearWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Check the lowest hose on the intercooler.
I shall do that.
The Following User Says Thank You to StrongSpearWorks For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2020, 17:57   #15
StrongSpearWorks

Default Might be HG related...

... after reading another post I opened the expansion tank when the engine was hot and running... bubbles. Not many, but maybe that’s also where some coolant is going. I mean, it’s a tiny amount (what ever the amount is between max and half way towards min) over the 300 miles I’ve driven since owning it. I thought it was all seeping out the control valve into the carpets... mystery machine.
Old Oct 15th, 2020, 19:24   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... after reading another post I opened the expansion tank when the engine was hot and running... bubbles. Not many, but maybe that’s also where some coolant is going. I mean, it’s a tiny amount (what ever the amount is between max and half way towards min) over the 300 miles I’ve driven since owning it. I thought it was all seeping out the control valve into the carpets... mystery machine.
That tells me a few things - first you need a new expansion tank cap. Second, your thermostat is probably lazy/knackered and third, you probably don't have a leak at all.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 17:09   #17
StrongSpearWorks

Quote:
That tells me a few things - first you need a new expansion tank cap. Second, your thermostat is probably lazy/knackered and third, you probably don't have a leak at all.
While I’ve got it off the ground tomorrow to change the turbo drain line and oring I plan to drain flush and fashion a new heater control valve and replace the thermostat. It does get up to temperature very quickly... but holds steady halfway on the dial regardless of the temp outside or how hard it’s being driven. No harm in swapping it out for a new one.
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 18:32   #18
StrongSpearWorks

Default Some discoveries...

Well I didn't get as far as the oil return today... late start meant I didn't have the whole day to myself... maybe tomorrow, but I did have the intake side off, and took some pictures.

There's some oil in there after a long run, but not much to write home about.
However... the intercooler is definitley full of oil, as the pipe from the IC to throttle had a stream of wet oil in it.

Also discovered that the return cooling line from the water jacet had a kink in it, maybe not blocking it entirely but certianly restricting the flow.

I also noticed that the wiring from the O2 sensor was laying on the exhast pipe and was nice and charred, so I unplugged it and re-routed it round the back of the brake reservoir... must have disturbed or broken a toasted wire as now the Lambda light is on the dash permanantly.

It's like hearding cats with this thing..

Hmmm. Images aren't appearing. Link to google album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/saq3YU4ctpdo4bA38

Last edited by StrongSpearWorks; Oct 17th, 2020 at 18:38.
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 18:36   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Once you've repaired the Lambda sensor wiring, pull fuse #1 for 30 seconds to clear the fault code and the EML. Lucky it wasn't a short to earth on the +12V heater feed on the sensor wiring or you'd have an FTP - Failure To Proceed!

Old Oct 17th, 2020, 18:42   #20
StrongSpearWorks

Quote:
Once you've repaired the Lambda sensor wiring, pull fuse #1 for 30 seconds to clear the fault code and the EML. Lucky it wasn't a short to earth on the +12V heater feed on the sensor wiring or you'd have an FTP - Failure To Proceed!
I'll be up early cutting open the cable jacket and splicing in some new wire... FTP - no start?

Edit. Two wires go to a connector, a third black wire goes to a push-plug with a green cable. Is that the 12v supply?

Tags
940 turbo, smoking