Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SU carb conversion and Air filter box?

Views : 1545

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2020, 23:47   #1
woodman
Master Member

Default SU carb conversion and Air filter box?

Hello everyone. It's been a while, hope you're all ok.

I've finally done a very exciting thing I've been meaning to do for years: I've changed the single Stromberg carb for single SU HIF44, off a Mini 1275. It's an absolute transformation, I'm so happy! I've always been an SU man so I'm biased, but it's really remarkable the difference. I wish I'd done this 10 years ago...

However, my choice of air filter was limited and I ended up with a Fletcher cone filter. It looks a bit boy-racery, and it makes a silly hissing sound which masks the lovely new throaty sound from the engine. I'm wondering if it would help if I got a box made to house it, with a hose inlet to reach for cool air from the front. Has anyone done anything similar that I could copy?

Thanks,

Andy.

2002 Audi TT quattro. (Sorry!)
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 09:34   #2
Underdrive

Have you kept the same needle that was fitted for the mini, or changed to the 'correct' one for B18/20?
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 12:50   #3
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

How about a cold air intake setup from a 140 series car? Would need a bit of modifying or you could just modify your old Stromberg air filter I assume also.

Interesting about the HIF44 being a good improvement.
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 13:06   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

As said, using the standard Stromberg box, adapted as need is best. Cheap, simple and works, what more can you ask for. Post a pic of your engine with the original carb/filter set-up.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 14:57   #5
woodman
Master Member

Thanks folks. Burlen lists a needle for HIF44 for Volvo b18 conversion, which made needle choice a lot easier!

Modifying the old box: yes, it seems like a good bet in principle, though the bolt hole arrangement is different. The other issue is that the SU actually has a wider throat - although 1.75" is nominally 44.5mm, and the SU is a 44, the throat is actually about 48mm. I could grind the hole out in the Stromberg box, but the inlet pipe end is narrower still, and it seems daft to restrict total airflow by cross-sectional area before it's even got to the outside of the filter. So I'd need to change the inlet pipe too. You can see from the attached photo that it's one of the sealed unit types, but I guess as it's useless storing it in the garage I might as well rip it open and see what I can do with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine bay apr 2020-lores.jpg (356.3 KB, 57 views)

Old Oct 14th, 2020, 16:01   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I would look for a 140 73 onward type air box that uses the same filer as the twin carb setup. That will be a lot less trouble to modify.

If the photo is your car I would strongly suggest changing the steering coupling back to the correct rubber one. Poly is not a suitable material and when it fails it will do so without warning and rip in two. I am amazed anyone one is still selling them in all honesty
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 16:13   #7
woodman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
I would look for a 140 73 onward type air box that uses the same filer as the twin carb setup. That will be a lot less trouble to modify.

If the photo is your car I would strongly suggest changing the steering coupling back to the correct rubber one. Poly is not a suitable material and when it fails it will do so without warning and rip in two. I am amazed anyone one is still selling them in all honesty
I think it came from Brookhouse!?

Old Oct 14th, 2020, 17:49   #8
Alf ista
Premier Member

Interesting! Did the old linkage connect up ok?
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 18:15   #9
woodman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf ista View Post
Interesting! Did the old linkage connect up ok?
OK would be an overstatement. Had to cannibalise the choke linkage off the Stromberg because the SU has a MASSIVE spring on it. And the kickdown linkage for the auto was a pain and I had to call on the services of a friendly welder. But it's fine now!

The Following User Says Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2020, 16:22   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

The smaller size of the inlet nozzle is largely irrelevant except at continuous full throttle. i.e. with the butterfly fully open. The taper also helps to quieten and control the flow. Check back to Mitch's thread where he opens up his filter. Once you have the back plate you can make an adaptor from thin sheet and have it spot welded on. (Solder, pop rivets and sealer as alternatives) Bolt the plate to the HIF. Weld nuts to match the 3 existing bolts to the new adaptor to hold the outer part of the filter to the inner. Shorten the bolts to suit. Make sure that your adaptor plate doesn't cover up any of the vacuum holes on the face of the HIF.
Pictures please. 😊
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: