Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Removing Tree Sap/Seed Marks From Paintwork

Views : 541

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2020, 11:41   #1
eric19371
Clueless

Default Removing Tree Sap/Seed Marks From Paintwork

I thought I would give the old V50 a much overdue clean at the weekend and I have been unable to remove some marks left on the paintwork by leaves/seeds from trees that I have to park under. The car was given a decent wash with a snow foam pre-wash and a full hand wash but they won’t shift. I even gave it a going over with a clay bar but that did nothing to the marks (although it is lovely and smooth everywhere else now). Any ideas?

eric19371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 12:30   #2
Welton
Premier Member

It sounds a bit like bird dropping damage which many people mistakenly believe is damage to the clear coat caused by 'acidic' droppings.

The real cause is an uneven expansion/contraction of the clear coat - anything left on the paint like a leaf or dropping could cause a temperature difference and mark the finish.

I've seen some heat pads made by AutoGlym (I think) which heat the clear coat and re-stabilise the area to even out the finish, or I think you can gently heat the area - but please do some research on this first!
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 12:31   #3
happy diver
Active Member Moment

hot water and washing powder

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 12:50   #4
Brimfull
V50 R-Design SE T5 baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric19371 View Post
I thought I would give the old V50 a much overdue clean at the weekend and I have been unable to remove some marks left on the paintwork by leaves/seeds from trees that I have to park under. The car was given a decent wash with a snow foam pre-wash and a full hand wash but they won’t shift. I even gave it a going over with a clay bar but that did nothing to the marks (although it is lovely and smooth everywhere else now). Any ideas?
You need a simple foam applicator, a clean microfibre towel and either Autoglym paint renovator or Meguairs Ultimate compound.

Put a pea size amount of product on the foam applicator and rub over the damaged area until the product becomes hazy.

Use the microfibre towel to remove the residue and the marks should be gone.

To help future prof apply a good quality wax to the car and remove any bird droppings/ tree sap etc as soon as you can. Leave it in situ and this will cause the damage to your clear coat that you now have.

A bottle of rapid-detailer and a microfibre cloth kept in the boot is handy to remove bird droppings etc as soon as it happens.

V50 T5 R-Design SE

Last edited by Brimfull; Oct 19th, 2020 at 12:56.
Brimfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 15:16   #5
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric19371 View Post
snap some High res/close up and in focus pics of the "sap"
hammering it with "clay" probably wont shift it if its a Big blob, will wreck the paint around it tho

Diving in with ANY sort off abrasive * Autoglym paint renovator or Meguairs Ultimate compound and a foam pad, microfiber is a sure way to risk wrecking the paint.
Rubbing "detailing spray" with a microfiber cloth on bird bombs is also a good way to wreck the paintwork.

a Simple spray bottle with Plain water, a tissue , soak the bird bomb, place tissue over the top, Soak that > leave it to soften the bird bomb, after a few (depends on weather ) mins lift n bin the wet tissue,and KEEP spraying the bird bomb till it floats n slides off the car,
no Rubbing , no marring of the paint with the solids in the bird bomb, and cheap/effective

the tree sap.
you May find a Traffic film remover softens it Or a "tar and glue remover",,
idea is to Soften it then remove it , Not bash on in with abrasive compounds and risk the paintwork,,,
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 16:10   #6
Brimfull
V50 R-Design SE T5 baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
snap some High res/close up and in focus pics of the "sap"
hammering it with "clay" probably wont shift it if its a Big blob, will wreck the paint around it tho

Diving in with ANY sort off abrasive * Autoglym paint renovator or Meguairs Ultimate compound and a foam pad, microfiber is a sure way to risk wrecking the paint.
Rubbing "detailing spray" with a microfiber cloth on bird bombs is also a good way to wreck the paintwork.

a Simple spray bottle with Plain water, a tissue , soak the bird bomb, place tissue over the top, Soak that > leave it to soften the bird bomb, after a few (depends on weather ) mins lift n bin the wet tissue,and KEEP spraying the bird bomb till it floats n slides off the car,
no Rubbing , no marring of the paint with the solids in the bird bomb, and cheap/effective

the tree sap.
you May find a Traffic film remover softens it Or a "tar and glue remover",,
idea is to Soften it then remove it , Not bash on in with abrasive compounds and risk the paintwork,,,
The OP is asking how to remove the marks that have been imprinted into the clear coat after he has removed the actual tree sap.

The way to remove these marks in the clear coat is to use an abrasive compound, the likes of Auto-glym and Meguaires are of a very low cutting compound so these are hardy likely to cause any damage.

V50 T5 R-Design SE
Brimfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 23:40   #7
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimfull View Post
The OP is asking how to remove the marks that have been imprinted into the clear coat after he has removed the actual tree sap.

The way to remove these marks in the clear coat is to use an abrasive compound, the likes of Auto-glym and Meguaires are of a very low cutting compound so these are hardy likely to cause any damage.
oh dear oh dear
have you SEEN the marks?
if no then Why recommend something as "the only way" when you haven't seen it???

going in blind with ANY abrasive on clear coat - way to wreck it,

the so called "eggspurt" detailers who spout things like that ,, without SEEING the marks, are keeping bodyshops in work

same with the "QD/microfiber for bird bombs"....

Last edited by andy_d; Oct 20th, 2020 at 23:43.
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 08:32   #8
eric19371
Clueless

Thank you to everybody who has replied to the post so far and apologies for not posting pictures, quite daft actually because as they say, a picture can say a thousand words.

Focusing on the marks was rather hard as the camera refused to focus on them properly but hopefully you can make them out (anybody know how to use an iPhone camera properly?). The long marks were caused by seed pods that came off the trees and the circular mark was either leaves or bird droppings (I forget which).

eric19371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 14:53   #9
andy_d
Premier Member

https://www.autoglym.com/products/preparation/reflow

have a Read of that, see IF that may solve the issues
Do read the info / advice/ FAQ and how to's
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post: