Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What should I get? (C30 - V40 discussion)

Views : 1339

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2020, 12:48   #1
Phil21

Default What should I get? (C30 - V40 discussion)

Hi everybody, I am new here!

me and my partner like Volvos. I always liked C30, so does she. Because we live in a town, I think a petrol engine would make more sense. We are not going to travel long distances very often. On the other hand, I don't really enjoy paying the road tax (who does?), and I think the lowest band for a petrol C30 is £240 per year. Once, I tested 1.6 DRIVe, and I must say, it drove really well, it was quiet, I liked the car, I just wasn't sure whether a diesel would be the right choice for me. Mainly, when I read that regular servicing might be a lot more expensive.

Do you think that it is possible to find a nice C30 without any big issues and without loads of miles for about £3,000?

The thing is that if I see some of them for like £5,000 or £6,000, then it brings a dilemma that you can nearly buy a V40 for that which is a newer car, more practical, modern, etc. But not as cool! Approved diesels from Volvo dealers start from about £8000, but petrol ones start at about £10,000. Why are those diesel ones so much cheaper than petrol ones? Just because there are many more of them? Or do they have any unwanted issues? Of course, usually more miles.

In conclusion, we would like a 'small economical' car as we don't need a big one, but we like Volvos. Because of that, the choice is quite limited. You know, a rational decision would be to buy a Hyundai i10 which I could get for below £5,000 with the official dealer's warranty, but I still hope that I'll find a good deal on a nice Volvo.

I know this post sounds confusing when I am comparing completely different cars, and when I sound that I don't know what I want. I am just looking for some inspiration, and maybe for someone who says: 'I've got this for you. Beautiful condition, xxxxx miles for £xxxx'.

Thank you
Phil21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 13:27   #2
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

If going for a C30 just go for a 2012 onwards 2.0-litre petrol (non turbo).

It's a tried and tested Mazda designed engine, driven by a timing chain that lasts the lifetime of the car.

Easy to work on, easy to service. Good MPG for 2.0-litre engine.

The 2012 onwards models benefit from:

- Bluetooth music streaming (pre 2011 just had bluetooth calls only)
- Automatic headlights with LED Daytime running lights
- Revised ignition/steering lock mechanism (troublesome on older C30s)

The V40 is a nicer more modern car but feels a bit cramped and dark inside, but it does feel solid. There is also no 2.0-litre Mazda engine, all engines are turbocharged which means more scope for problems.

I'd say that a late model S40 2.0-litre saloon is a good compromise because you get the same interior as the C30, but it's easier to get in and out of, has back doors and a boot, and is a rarer sight than a V40.

Wouldn't discount a petrol Hyundai i30 either, my mum owns a 2009 1.4 and whilst is isnt very exciting, it feels solid and has excellent motorway manners. A good cheap runabout if you ask me.

Last edited by T5R92011; Oct 19th, 2020 at 13:30.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 14:04   #3
Brimfull
V50 R-Design SE T5 baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil21 View Post
Hi everybody, I am new here!

me and my partner like Volvos. I always liked C30, so does she. Because we live in a town, I think a petrol engine would make more sense. We are not going to travel long distances very often. On the other hand, I don't really enjoy paying the road tax (who does?), and I think the lowest band for a petrol C30 is £240 per year. Once, I tested 1.6 DRIVe, and I must say, it drove really well, it was quiet, I liked the car, I just wasn't sure whether a diesel would be the right choice for me. Mainly, when I read that regular servicing might be a lot more expensive.

Do you think that it is possible to find a nice C30 without any big issues and without loads of miles for about £3,000?

The thing is that if I see some of them for like £5,000 or £6,000, then it brings a dilemma that you can nearly buy a V40 for that which is a newer car, more practical, modern, etc. But not as cool! Approved diesels from Volvo dealers start from about £8000, but petrol ones start at about £10,000. Why are those diesel ones so much cheaper than petrol ones? Just because there are many more of them? Or do they have any unwanted issues? Of course, usually more miles.

In conclusion, we would like a 'small economical' car as we don't need a big one, but we like Volvos. Because of that, the choice is quite limited. You know, a rational decision would be to buy a Hyundai i10 which I could get for below £5,000 with the official dealer's warranty, but I still hope that I'll find a good deal on a nice Volvo.

I know this post sounds confusing when I am comparing completely different cars, and when I sound that I don't know what I want. I am just looking for some inspiration, and maybe for someone who says: 'I've got this for you. Beautiful condition, xxxxx miles for £xxxx'.

Thank you

Hello and welcome.

Best way forward is to test drive both and see which you prefer, ultimately the decision on which one suits you best falls on you.

V50 T5 R-Design SE
Brimfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 15:38   #4
Thekilt

We had a V40 2016 T2 Inscription, very nice car. Solid, well build and the interior felt very nice. I also had a V50 (same interior as the C30) and that was no where near as solid. Interior was very cheap, doors felt cheap when closing etc.
I like the look of the C30 but the issue for my family is that its a 3 door, and also its annoying there are only 2 seats in the back! we were thinking of one as a second car but it just wouldnt work out. Also the boot space is pants.
With regards to the V40, the better engines are the 2 litre which are form 2016 I beleive. The first ones up to 2016 i think have 1.6 litre which were not as good.
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 16:32   #5
volvo always
Premier Member

Toyota Yaris or Toyota Aygo.

I used to have a Lexus Diesel. My worst car ever. Only did 33-40mpg turbo lag. Mismatched gearbox. Lots of potential DPF issues if used on short journeys. after 18 months head gasket went! Scrapped it.

Looked around with a 13k budget and discounted Kia as had no petrol autos available. Wanted petrol and auto to avoid the issues with diesel. EGR, DPF, Dual mass Flywheel etc
Also have relatives in the ULEZ area of Birmingham so government demonising diesel unless your diesel meets Euro 6.

Decided on Toyota as reliable. Bought a 2015 Toyota Auris Hybrid. It's a good car and as pre April 2017 free road tax. Understand at the moment there is a review of car tax changes being discussed, so could change.

For your use petrol is perfect.

I didn't even consider a newer used Volvo as like most Manufactures hate the sharing of engines etc. Toyota same like BMW engine in new Supra. C1 Peugeot. Aygo 1 litre Toyota etc. If I buy a Volvo or Toyota I want a manufacturers designed/built engine.

James.

Last edited by volvo always; Oct 19th, 2020 at 16:46.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 17:32   #6
Thekilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
Toyota Yaris or Toyota Aygo.

I used to have a Lexus Diesel. My worst car ever. Only did 33-40mpg turbo lag. Mismatched gearbox. Lots of potential DPF issues if used on short journeys. after 18 months head gasket went! Scrapped it.

Looked around with a 13k budget and discounted Kia as had no petrol autos available. Wanted petrol and auto to avoid the issues with diesel. EGR, DPF, Dual mass Flywheel etc
Also have relatives in the ULEZ area of Birmingham so government demonising diesel unless your diesel meets Euro 6.

Decided on Toyota as reliable. Bought a 2015 Toyota Auris Hybrid. It's a good car and as pre April 2017 free road tax. Understand at the moment there is a review of car tax changes being discussed, so could change.

For your use petrol is perfect.

I didn't even consider a newer used Volvo as like most Manufactures hate the sharing of engines etc. Toyota same like BMW engine in new Supra. C1 Peugeot. Aygo 1 litre Toyota etc. If I buy a Volvo or Toyota I want a manufacturers designed/built engine.

James.
How Ironic coming from "Volvo always"!

He is true though, there are better alternatives to Volvo for smaller cars. I would go with Ford Fiesta. Very good little car and nice interior. I am personally not so keen on a lot of the Jap car interiors which is one of my main buying points. If you are driving you have to like the inside. Engine/drivetrain is so hit and miss its difficult to say one is much better than the rest. (apart from ford powershift/Powersh!t)
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 19:28   #7
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
How Ironic coming from "Volvo always"!
)
Indeed! I do really like the older RWD models.

I do really like my 1996 Volvo 940. Great load lugger, reliable. All Volvo of old. Easy Maintenance. Owned for 4 years. Now on 204,500 miles.
Drove it today and like the auto gearbox and engine, a good match and no turbo lag.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 13:22   #8
S60RDesign

I'd look for a C30 R Design petrol over a V40 because it's a cool little coupe rather than a family hatch (although R Designs also look good).

You could probably get an S60 or V60 R Design T3 or T4 for around £6000 but obviously they're quite big
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 13:34   #9
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60RDesign View Post
I'd look for a C30 R Design petrol over a V40 because it's a cool little coupe rather than a family hatch (although R Designs also look good).

You could probably get an S60 or V60 R Design T3 or T4 for around £6000 but obviously they're quite big
The V60 R-Design is, however, a compelling car. It's great to drive and provides an excellent balance between size and space. It's big enough but it doesn't feel big.

The S60 R-Design costs less because it's not such a popular car, but if you're looking to keep it for a few years then it's worth considering.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 16:38   #10
mark2410

Im kinda looking at the c30 and v40 too, the 30 looks cooler but the thing i keep noticing is that the mpg on the 40 seems to be sooooooooooooo much better.

I mean they must weigh similar right, did the newer engines make such a vast difference???

anyone got both cars they could compare them to each other?
mark2410 is offline   Reply With Quote