Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo mpg, why so bad?

Views : 1419

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2020, 16:45   #1
mark2410

Default Volvo mpg, why so bad?

Been looking at a new car, current v50 was intended as a temporary car anywaay but given its love for going into the garage i feel something else may be needed soon.

i completely cant decide what i want but what i have noticed is that of all the volvos i look up, xc70, xc40, xc60 xc90 v60cc v90cc their all seem to suck in comparison to other things ive looked up, like a few Skoda, mercs, the only things that seem similar are brands doing petrol only like honda and hyundi but then they are not much worse than the volvo diesels it seem.

is it just volvo engines are getting old and not been updated? or is there something im missing?
mark2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 16:58   #2
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

My impression, and it is only that, is that Volvo doesn't chase headline mpg like others tend to.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 17:20   #3
Brimfull
V50 R-Design SE T5 baby!!

Weight of the vehicle will play a part in the fuel consumption

V50 T5 R-Design SE
Brimfull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brimfull For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 17:58   #4
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
My impression, and it is only that, is that Volvo doesn't chase headline mpg like others tend to.
My experience is that Volvos are not any worse that anything else and some, like the C30, are better than most.
My daughter and her husband had a Nissan Qashqai and a Ford Focus, both 66 plate diesels, and their current V40 is a great improvement on either.
My V90cc D4 is averaging 39 mpg, with over 50mpg on a decent run, which I think is quite reasonable and can not see any other similar cars offering any appreciable real life improvement on those figures.
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 19:26   #5
V8XCV

The older D5 based cars average about 40mpg, which is the same as my 2.0L VW modern diesel. VW are just much better at cheating tests......

Real world MPG I have found is little different between most cars, it depends on coefficient of drag, weight of vehicle and driving style.

My small fiat 1.6 diesel averages 50mpg, which is the same as the golf 1.6tdi averaged as well.

Unless you are running 50k miles a year MPG is not really worth worrying about.

Average driver 10k miles a year at

40mpg is 250gal (1137L)
30mpg is 333gal (1515L)

So a difference of 378 L or about £434

If you save yourself 5k buying the car, that's over 10years difference in fuel costs.

Get the car you want to get

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
V8XCV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to V8XCV For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 00:48   #6
andy_d
Premier Member

i was going to suggest
"perhaps Volvo publish the TRUE mpg figures"
,,beaten to it

if your bothered about the pollution chucked out the tail pipe at all, Dont buy a diesel.
they Are not "clean" and chuck out skipfulls of really "not good" things, despite all the UTTER BS spouted by those driving them. This has been Known since the mid 80s. and ignored by manufs and sheeple ever since
"dpf" doesnt matter "clean + diesiel" is not possible,
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 10:24   #7
RonFleet

My XC40 T3 R-Design averaged 43.5 mpg last Sunday, on a 60 mile round trip driving mostly on the M3 and A316 in light traffic. The average fuel consumption over the 1,540 miles driven since I bought the car in mid-August is 37.1 mpg on a mix of local roads, A roads and motorways. My previous car was a MB C200, which is lighter than the XC40, averaged 32 mpg overall and could get low 40s on a motorway run. I think that Volvo are just being honest about the mpg figures.
XC40 T3 R-Design Automatic
RonFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 11:50   #8
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Despite me generally finding Volvo ownership disappointing (multiple recalls and a feeling that the next soot-related engine problem is just around the corner) I'm actually very happy with the MPG... did a long round-trip journey Monday evening and the displayed cumulative average when parking up back home was 60MPG. For a reasonably heavy car with decent performance I reckon that's pretty good and compares very well against our diesel Sportage, which gives 25-30% WORSE economy.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 12:13   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
i was going to suggest
"perhaps Volvo publish the TRUE mpg figures"
,,beaten to it

if your bothered about the pollution chucked out the tail pipe at all, Dont buy a diesel.
they Are not "clean" and chuck out skipfulls of really "not good" things, despite all the UTTER BS spouted by those driving them. This has been Known since the mid 80s. and ignored by manufs and sheeple ever since
"dpf" doesnt matter "clean + diesiel" is not possible,
Volvo or any other manufacturer is not allowed to publish any fuel consumption figures !
They have to use the standardised Government test results ...
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 13:24   #10
Woody3537

I drive a 2018 XC60 T5 which I get 25-30mpg around town, which isnt great but its a big heavy and powerful car, if I keep my foot off the floor (which isnt easy) I may get 30 + around town. But on a run mainly motorway I get 38-40 mpg (as 70mph Honest officer).
I have to say I find that more than OK I had a 1.4 TSI Skoda Superb before this and the numbers weren't much better.
But I only do about 8k per year so it doesn't make much difference in annual cost and it is much nicer to drive and a whole lot quicker and more fun.
Woody3537 is offline   Reply With Quote