Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What tyre ratings?

Views : 930

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2019, 15:19   #11
cheshired5
Premier Member

Using a general search for the D4204T5, there are 3 options for the mentioned tyre size.
Using the 17 digit chassis number may narrow it down further.

Given that it was a lease car and there is no detriment to fitting higher rated tyres, the servicing dealer may have fitted "better" tyres than required to increase revenue.

Last edited by cheshired5; Oct 10th, 2019 at 15:21.
cheshired5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 16:03   #12
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Using a general search for the D4204T5, there are 3 options for the mentioned tyre size.
Using the 17 digit chassis number may narrow it down further.

Given that it was a lease car and there is no detriment to fitting higher rated tyres, the servicing dealer may have fitted "better" tyres than required to increase revenue.
That's great, thank you. I'm going to take that as my car 'only' needing 95W non-XL tyres. And good point about the possible reason why my car came with supercar tyres.
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 18:15   #13
SeaShell

The Volvo website gives 'H' rated 16" tyres as suitable for the new V60..
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 19:29   #14
Chrisv60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
That's great, thank you. I'm going to take that as my car 'only' needing 95W non-XL tyres. And good point about the possible reason why my car came with supercar tyres.
I think I would still stick with the XL. I found them cheaper than the non-XL versions of the same tyre at Kwik fit, presumably as they are a more popular requirement.
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 19:32   #15
GMcL
0's and 1's

92 is the lowest load rating for my 2011 S60 D3. It's stamped in the short hand owners document that has to be carried at all times should you be stopped. A quick and easy validation for the police if you have the owners consent to drive the car.

The lowest rated tyre I can actually buy for the car is 93, I've just bought four winter tyres 215/55x16 HR 93 rated. It's a winter tyre, comes with a sticker for the dashboard reminding me the top speed is 210kph when the car is capable of more but not an issue in winter.

XL usually gives a stiffer ride, not worth bothering with as the standard tyre already has an element of headroom in the specification.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 19:59   #16
AndyV7o
Premier Member

XL dont usually give a stiffer ride, thats a myth, there is very little in the construction which is different they just, roughly speaking, posess more tensile strength.
Reinforced and commercial tyres, yes, XL, no.
One caveat is when the load ratings dont align, usually std and xl tyres correlate with load ratings and pressures below 2.5 bar, but, sometimes the XL actually has slightly lower capability for a given pressure, thus, need a higher pressure to match capability. This instance can reduce comfort as the tyre is a little harder from the pressure.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2019, 13:23   #17
Jerry1975

Cool

Possibly getting a little carried away here with specifics on tyres and insurance companies IMO

I've worked for insurance companies and also brokerages for over 25 years handling a variety of motor insurance claims and I can't say that I've ever seen an insurance company discuss the ratings of tyres on a vehicle when handling a claim.

In my experience, the only thing an insurer would look at tyres-wise when handling a motor claim would be that they were: -

a) road legal (i.e. correct tyre pressures, adequate tread depth and condition to pass an MOT)
b) of the correct specification for the model of car as stated by the vehicle manufacturer (i.e. what is stated in the owner's manual)

...then consideration would be given to if the vehicle was overloaded and/or the size of the trailer/caravan at the time of the incident etc.

Phoning an insurance company to ask them about different load ratings of tyres for your car would be a complete waste of time and you would probably end up sat on hold for ages while the clerk spent ages finding out what I said in point b) above.

Each to their own really and I know what I'd do tyre-wise but you're best off sticking to the specification that Volvo recommend.

Hope this helps

J
Jerry1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry1975 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2019, 14:29   #18
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1975 View Post
Possibly getting a little carried away here with specifics on tyres and insurance companies IMO

I've worked for insurance companies and also brokerages for over 25 years handling a variety of motor insurance claims and I can't say that I've ever seen an insurance company discuss the ratings of tyres on a vehicle when handling a claim...
Interesting, however the ABI state the following on their website...
"Most motor insurers do not charge additional premiums for vehicles fitted with winter tyres, provided that the tyres are roadworthy and have been fitted in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions" where I would assume that 'manufacturer's instructions' would include adherence to tyre size, speed rating and load rating.
https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-.../winter-tyres/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1975 View Post
...Each to their own really and I know what I'd do tyre-wise but you're best off sticking to the specification that Volvo recommend...
The reason I began this thread was to identify what this recommendation actually was!
Old Oct 14th, 2019, 16:08   #19
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Same here Zebster, I think the whole point was somewhat missed.
Yes insurance came up because its relevant, and is part of the whole legality thing, which then required differentiating load and speed ratings, but the whole thing is you asking what ARE the manufacturers specs since Volvo appear to keep this under thei hat!
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post: