Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 adding rear sub woofer.

Views : 8672

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2019, 15:58   #31
eapowers64

Default OEM subwoofer software

A participant on another forum kindly provided the part number for the software update: 6849980. I have talked with a dealer and will give the update a try in a couple of weeks when I get back from vacation. I give myself a 50-50 chance of this working as the sub was from a donor car that was not in good shape. I will report back in mid July.
eapowers64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 02:06   #32
eapowers64

Default OEM Subwoofer Software

I finally made it to a Volvo dealer and had the software for addition of the OEM subwoofer loaded. To recap, this is an 04 XC90 that started with High Performance sound where I swapped in junk yard Premium Sound speakers, amp, and Infotainment Control Module (ICM). None of these are actually required for a sub addition but the Premium speakers are much better, the Premium amp has higher output, and the Premium ICM has a better display.

Long story short, the upload was successful and I now have a cranking subwoofer installed above and behind the driver side rear wheel well in the trunk. The car was then promptly delivered to my son who is at university. He was most appreciative.

When I left the dealership the tech told me that the software upload was successful but the sub was not working. He then went through the long litany of why the Volvo system does not usually like adding used electronic parts. As I drove home I had time to think what might have been other explanations. That was when I decided to go through the audio settings on the ICM and saw the new submenu for the subwoofer. One click on the select button and the subwoofer was thumping. The moral was to think for yourself and don't take every tech's statement as the end of the story.

Finding a dealer to actually do this was not as easy as I would have thought. With the first two that I called, it was as if I was speaking a foreign language. They could not get it through their heads that I was swapping Volvo parts for Volvo parts. Moreover, they were not even curious about what I was trying to do. The dealer that I went to was a two hour drive away and was a pleasure to deal with.

What I was not able to accomplish was to get the reloads that would tell the CEM that the car had a Premium audio system and to behave as such. This would have activated the junk yard center speaker and enabled the better sound processing of the Premium system. For these two software pieces, VIDA would not permit the download as it did not like the mix of hardware from other cars. At the end of the day, the sound system is much better than what I started with.
eapowers64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 18:51   #33
SwissXC90
Premier Member

That all sounds right

A sub can be loaded or removed as it was foreseen as an optional component that could be fitted any time.

The main car stereo was configured at the factory and Volvo never foresaw that a car would be up- or down-graded from one level of stereo equipment to another level. So while you can fit the higher-level components from another car, your car, and any VIDA connected to it, still expects the old system to be fitted.

Whilst the actual config that changes what is in the car is quite simple, and Russian hackers have managed to hack the CEM and change the config, the Volvo dealer has no access to any tools to change the CEM config in a way that was not intended.

(The CEM config is also protected by a PIN, which takes over 24 hours to crack using a brute force attack).

So your experience is all in line with expectations.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 17:22   #34
Nic9511

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapowers64 View Post
I finally made it to a Volvo dealer and had the software for addition of the OEM subwoofer loaded. To recap, this is an 04 XC90 that started with High Performance sound where I swapped in junk yard Premium Sound speakers, amp, and Infotainment Control Module (ICM). None of these are actually required for a sub addition but the Premium speakers are much better, the Premium amp has higher output, and the Premium ICM has a better display.

Long story short, the upload was successful and I now have a cranking subwoofer installed above and behind the driver side rear wheel well in the trunk. The car was then promptly delivered to my son who is at university. He was most appreciative.

When I left the dealership the tech told me that the software upload was successful but the sub was not working. He then went through the long litany of why the Volvo system does not usually like adding used electronic parts. As I drove home I had time to think what might have been other explanations. That was when I decided to go through the audio settings on the ICM and saw the new submenu for the subwoofer. One click on the select button and the subwoofer was thumping. The moral was to think for yourself and don't take every tech's statement as the end of the story.

Finding a dealer to actually do this was not as easy as I would have thought. With the first two that I called, it was as if I was speaking a foreign language. They could not get it through their heads that I was swapping Volvo parts for Volvo parts. Moreover, they were not even curious about what I was trying to do. The dealer that I went to was a two hour drive away and was a pleasure to deal with.

What I was not able to accomplish was to get the reloads that would tell the CEM that the car had a Premium audio system and to behave as such. This would have activated the junk yard center speaker and enabled the better sound processing of the Premium system. For these two software pieces, VIDA would not permit the download as it did not like the mix of hardware from other cars. At the end of the day, the sound system is much better than what I started with.
Awesome! But just to confirm, please advise on the below question.

I have a 2007 XC90 with High Performance audio. 3rd row seat. No rear A/C.

Can I upgrade to the Premium amp (P/N: 30732825) and also add the factory subwoofer (with subwoofer update P/N: 6849980)... I understand that since i have a 2007 I wont be able to download the premium software. Hoping I can just add the premium amp and factory subwoofer and that alone will be a big improvement.

If so, do you have a part number for the subwoofer? And will the HP speakers work or MUST I upgrade to all Premium speakers?
Nic9511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 19:55   #35
Bigjimknickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Volvo stopped adding the subwoofer in 2008. So you cannot enable the software after that date.

But an analogue amp will power it ok.
It won't be as smart as the original Volvo amp.
The speakers show their impedance on the label and VIDA has details on the amp.

Probably something like 50W to 100W RMS would do you.

And yes, the audio to the D pillar tweeters is full range analogue audio, driven by the rear channels.
Swiss- you seem to know your stuff, a quick question, if the radio is replaced with a kit with all the facia & cables it bypasses the amp if I’m right? So with these modern head units will they ever sound as good as the factory premium sound with the factory amp?
Bigjimknickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 20:31   #36
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjimknickers View Post
Swiss- you seem to know your stuff, a quick question, if the radio is replaced with a kit with all the facia & cables it bypasses the amp if I’m right? So with these modern head units will they ever sound as good as the factory premium sound with the factory amp?
It bypasses the amp if you want it to.
The stock Volvo amp uses a MOST fiber interface, and no after-market stereo can interface directly to the MOST fiber.

But you can buy interfaces to connect a stereo directly to the fiber and thus over the stock amplifier, if you want.

Will it sound as good?
That depends if you use a quality head unit, and quality speakers, and do some sound equalization on the vehicle using proper quality sound measurement equipment.
So: it depends....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2019, 11:02   #37
cpu_man

I am still looking into this option.

Any one thought about using an Free Air sub (no box required).

I was thinking about removing the side panel to expose where factory sub would be, cut some ply so I can sub to the face of the ply the bolt the ply to where the factory sub would be.

I am sure I have seen a pic of some one who has done this on a xc90?
cpu_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 17:44   #38
T77OMY

i have a 2020 volvo xc90, theres spare loom in the right hand side of the boot, does anyone no if i can connect sub into that for speaker signal?
T77OMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 23:22   #39
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

This section of the forum is for the previous generation XC90 (to yours) so I don't think you will get much joy here.

I assume there's another section (in the main forum) that is applicable to the 2nd generation cars?

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2023, 04:38   #40
Chris123456

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapowers64 View Post

Hi,

Just wondering if you were able to upgrade from High Performance to Premium Sound with the software updates?
I’m going through the same process with a 2006 XC90 upgrading from High Performance sound to Premium Sound. Installed the premium front, rear and centre speakers with used Premium amp, and wondering if the Amp software upgrade 6849972 for the Premium Sound, and the Audio Reload software 8691143 worked for you as the dealer says there’s a chance the software will not take because of the amp part mismatch with the old amp in the cem with a possibility of the car not starting. Thanks!
Chris123456 is offline   Reply With Quote