Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 1.9 D with a small battery ?

Views : 403

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2019, 15:01   #1
mrmisior

Default V40 1.9 D with a small battery ?

Hi
I received some good advice on this forum in the past, so I am bothering you again.

In my Volvo V40 1.9D 2003,
the battery went flat over weekend. This is the halfords very large, very heavy battery.
I had no issues with this battery before. 3 years old only. just outside the warranty.
I drive 15 minutes runs twice a day and twice 40 minutes runs so it should be charged ok.
It has the indicator on top which shows "white with red dot = charge it".
I checked the clamps and were very tight as should be.
Reads 11.50V.
Starter motor would not even turn Monday morning.

I started the car with another battery and alternator is charging at 14.40V.
The replacement battery is a very old one and small (about half the size) from a small petrol car.
It was sitting in a shed for 2 years and still had 12.20V charge.
I drive with this small battery for a few days now without issues.

Questions:
1. Can I continue driving with the small battery ?

2. Is the large battery ruined since it went down to 11.50V ?
(i started charging it at home but it only went up to 12.20V after a long time)
UPDATE: the battery charger started to click and buzz loudly and the voltage is not going past 12.24V

3. Since, I do not have any shorts nor light left on etc., would it discharge itself suddenly due to an internal fault?

I am asking trying to avoid spending another £85 on a new battery.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by mrmisior; Sep 25th, 2019 at 15:10.
mrmisior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 15:54   #2
aldred309uk

Is it a sealed battery or can you top up the cells? Sometimes a cell can dry up and just needs topping up.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 16:04   #3
P156KWJ

Battery chargers may emit a buzz depending how many amps you are charging at. If you have time, personally to charge a battery I would trickle amps through over a longer time than a fast sharp charge, particularly if you've not checked the electrolyte levels as it can destroy cells.

Personally I'd just go and buy a new battery, the small one may work in the short term but may drain faster and not have the power to turn the starter when it's been used a lot. Also not forgetting if it's insecure this is an MOT fail and potentially dangerous.
P156KWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P156KWJ For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 22:02   #4
clarkey1984
Premier Member

A battery in tip top health should show you around 12.9 volts, maybe very slightly less once connected to a car, generally speaking the nearer to 12v it drops the more worn out it is, I got one for mine the other week that's only very marginally smaller than the diesel spec one it replaced but it was only 45 quid, the usual battery these take if it's a diesel is an 096, which 278mm long, 175mm wide and 190mm tall, they were coming in at around 70 pounds, I was recommended a 100 battery which are 278 x175 x175, and CCA wise pretty much exactly the same.
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 10:09   #5
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

I got a 'banner starting bull' from GSF, I didn't pay anything like £85 if I remember correctly. I may have bought it through the family business though and got a bit of discount and paid no VAT!

However, it is always worth asking what the best price is when ordering in store or on the phone.

A quick check onilne shows a Yuasa battery for £65 with the current promotion (AUT60).

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/971na0440

Yuasa is a good brand fitted OEM to a lot of heavy plant etc.

As for your existing batteries I would check your charger, it doesn't sound happy!

Did the battery die after a cold night? That is classic for a battery at the end of it's life. I would beg borrow or steal another battery charger, you may even be able to get the battery tested for free at your local friendly battery retailer.

When my battery died the first time, it was the glove box light that killed it. Solution, remove the bulb! The battery then lasted a few more years until it just died altogether.

If you are working on bangernomics then I would keep the small battery in there. As long as it is holding 12.6 or above in the mornings after its been sat uncharged overnight. If it struggles to start the engine though, it's not worth it and you would be best to get a decent battery to save the starter motor.