Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What tyre ratings?

Views : 940

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2019, 20:18   #1
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Default What tyre ratings?

I can't believe I can't find the answer on the door plate or even my owner's manual, but does anyone know where I can find the official full ratings for the tyres needed for my car (as described in detail below).

The tyres that came with my car when I purchased it secondhand are 235/40R18 with a 95 load rating plus a Y speed rating, they also have an additional XL rating. These are fitted to Ixion 2 wheels and I now want to replace these with winter tyres.

I'm happy to assume that these tyres are correct for the car, as it's ex-leasehire and has a FVSH. But do they really need Y rated (186+ MPH!) tyres plus the additional XL rating? The Black Circles website doesn't think so when I put in my registration number, as they suggest a W rated tyre without the additional XL rating... but who can confirm this?
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 21:18   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
who can confirm this?
If you want to stay original, then the product specifications section of Vida or a Volvo main dealer.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 07:45   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
If you want to stay original, then the product specifications section of Vida or a Volvo main dealer.
I certainly do want to stay with the original ratings, if only for insurance purposes. I wasn't planning to buy the tyres from a Volvo main dealer, but I guess I could call them to see if they'll advise me over the phone. Unfortunately I don't have VIDA.

Just surprised how hard it is to find out what tyres the car is meant to have.
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 08:18   #4
Chrisv60

I have the smaller 17" wheels so not necessarily the same, but my car came with 95W XL from the factory so I guess the Extra Load bit is important.
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 09:07   #5
Whyman
Premier Member

One way of calculating the minimum load rating is to look on the vehicle plate which will have loads for Axle1, Axle 2, Gross Vehicle Weight(orMass) and Gross Train Weight.

Divide the greater of axle 1 or2 by 2 to give the minimum load that the tyre must be able to carry. Google a load index table and find the weight on the table. To be legal your load index must be greater than the figure you calculated above.

XL means that the tyre has reinforced side walls to carry extra load but sometimes means a slightly harsher ride.

If you can’t sort this look in the handbook! It usually makes interesting reading and you will be surprised what you can find out about your car.
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 10:43   #6
SeaShell

I think that the load rating is the most important part and needs to be the same or higher than the original tyres.

In terms of speed rating some winter tyres are only 'H' rated which I think is up to 130 mph.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeaShell For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 11:03   #7
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
One way of calculating the minimum load rating is to look on the vehicle plate which will have loads for Axle1, Axle 2, Gross Vehicle Weight(orMass) and Gross Train Weight.

Divide the greater of axle 1 or2 by 2 to give the minimum load that the tyre must be able to carry. Google a load index table and find the weight on the table. To be legal your load index must be greater than the figure you calculated above.

XL means that the tyre has reinforced side walls to carry extra load but sometimes means a slightly harsher ride.

If you can’t sort this look in the handbook! It usually makes interesting reading and you will be surprised what you can find out about your car.
I spent a long time laid on the sofa reading the hardcopy owner's manual yesterday evening before posting and I also downloaded a PDF version so I could search it electronically. Nothing!

I know what all the ratings and specs actually mean and understand what you say about calculating them, however it's my understanding that unless you meet (or exceed) the manufacturer's original tyre specification then your insurance company will not accept liability in the event of a claim should they find out, as the car would be deemed unroadworthy as a result of having inferior tyre ratings. This seems to sum it up... https://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/blog/...u-did-not-know
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 11:07   #8
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShell View Post
I think that the load rating is the most important part and needs to be the same or higher than the original tyres.

In terms of speed rating some winter tyres are only 'H' rated which I think is up to 130 mph.
I'm pretty sure that the speed rating is just as important, at least in the eyes of insurance companies.

I can find Y rated winter tyres, but W rated are cheaper and do exceed the top speed of my car.
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 11:50   #9
SeaShell

May be worth giving your insurance company a phone to confirm.

If you can find your cars EU conformity certificate the wheel and tyre combinations should be on there.
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 13:00   #10
AndyV7o
Premier Member

With speed ratings, insurance companies usually prefer to exceed the manufacturers quoted top speed, but otherwise, as with load ratings, higher is fine.
Some arent fussed as the national speed limit is 70, thus anything over that is in contravention of road traffic laws thus they can void your policy anyway if they wish.
Furthermore, most vehicle manufacturers state, and some countries stipulate, that you must affix a sticker to speedometer stating the lower maximum speed if fitting tyres of a lower speed rating. It is legal in this country to fit lower speed ratings, but the technicality of permissibility is down to necessity. Thus if you fit winter tyres with a lower speed rating, this is fine but you must inform insurers who may add extra requirements such as affixing the aforementioned speedo sticker, etc, and might add extra to premium as its 'modification' though they shouldn't.

With load ratings, if in doubt fit the higher. Michelin actually started only offering some tyres in the higher load rating to simplify things for this reason.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote