Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 2.0d Fuel Filter Bleeding

Views : 30708

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2012, 19:53   #1
Martin1977

Question V50 2.0d Fuel Filter Bleeding

Hi guys,
I'm in the middle of an alternator replacement due to the cheap piece of crap item Volvo uses deciding to use itself as a heater last week....
new alternator and belt currently en-route.
During the removal process the diesel filter has been disconnected.

I've read the following post-"Hi all, a quick and simple solution, first fill the filter boal, then use a 50ml seringe with a 8mm (od) pipe attached, fill seringe with clean fuel and push the 8mm pipe up inside the fuel line on top of filter boal, this is marked (out) push fuel through until line is full, remove and allow any air to escape. with full line and filter switch ign on to position 2 and wait 60 secs then start enging. you will see bubbles in the clear line for a time leave it running for a while till it clears. have fun... "

Sounds like it's quite an ordeal to resolve.. however... am I correct in this interpretation of the above..

1) Fill Filter housing with Fuel (bowl?)
2) Use syringe to fill fuel line (out only?) that connects on top of the filter.
3) does that mean I dont need to touch or use the bleed screw attached to the filter?
4) is that it???

Gutted as I wish I had this info before starting!!!
Also as a side note, is the correct procedure for reconnecting the new newly charged battery as follows-

Ignition Switch to Pos2
Battery On
Start car?

thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by Martin1977; Jul 10th, 2012 at 20:02.
Martin1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 22:35   #2
Guru
Premier Member

Well ... if you don't have a priming pump then you should fill the fuel housing with fuel, you can use a syringe to fill the "out" line, and even use the same szringe to aspirate fuel through the "in" line then quickly re connect it before the fuel drops back into the tank ... some have succeeded applying this method. Having the tank full helps a lot too, but:

"switch ign on to position 2 and wait 60 secs then start engine" this applies to the D5 engine which has a delivering pump in the tank so the fuel system self-primes. Not applicable to the 2.0D
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 22:59   #3
eretron

Hello Martin,

I've tried to reply you, but I don't have 30 posts so I'm not allowed

I've used something similar to this

Volvo has official tool that costs about 50E but you can get same thing at boat shop for 5E, that's where I got mine.

I've connected one end to the return line. It is the one with the green plugs just above the fuel filter. If it helps i can send you pics tomorrow.

The other end wasn't connected just put it in bottle as diesel will flow once the car is started.

Pressed the pump until it got fuel inside

After successful starting of a car, turn it off and just reconnect the pipes. Voila ;D

Last edited by eretron; Jul 10th, 2012 at 23:07. Reason: Added pic of Motor
eretron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 07:39   #4
Martin1977

Many thanks guys, I'll make this easier and buy a hand pump today. Eretron, the pictures are perfect and EXACTLY what I needed to see.
All being well, I'll have new alternator installed, battery re-charged, fuel primed, all back together, belt tight by tonight.....!!!!!

Will post up and keep you updated. My thanks again gents,

Martin
Martin1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 17:55   #5
Riivo

Hello Eretron and other forum members!

I am a young c30 user. I have a 2007 cosmic white 2.0diesel with fantastic sound system

For the first time I decided to save money and do regular service myself.

What concerns me most is changing the fuel filter which I haven't done before.

So if it is still possible, maybe you could send some photos of the whole bleeding process..

What I understand from the photo is that basically I need to suck the air out from the white line which has a green thingy on the top until diesel starts to come out? Is that right?

Thanks,
Riivo

Last edited by Riivo; Jul 24th, 2012 at 18:03.
Riivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 19:32   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riivo View Post
Hello Eretron and other forum members!

I am a young c30 user. I have a 2007 cosmic white 2.0diesel with fantastic sound system

For the first time I decided to save money and do regular service myself.

What concerns me most is changing the fuel filter which I haven't done before.

So if it is still possible, maybe you could send some photos of the whole bleeding process..

What I understand from the photo is that basically I need to suck the air out from the white line which has a green thingy on the top until diesel starts to come out? Is that right?

Thanks,
Riivo
some hand pumps dont like sucking air so the best place to insert the hand pump is in the filter inlet union on the drivers side of the filter .
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 16:24   #7
Dj79794

HELP....... I've read the above but only after realising that my v50 won't self bleed!!!!!
Is there ANY way of getting it started without he hand pump? :0((
Dj79794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 16:26   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj79794 View Post
HELP....... I've read the above but only after realising that my v50 won't self bleed!!!!!
Is there ANY way of getting it started without he hand pump? :0((
afraid not ... as a last resort you could get someone to slightly pressurise the fuel tank with an airline and rag to seal in the filler pipe ?? then undo the filter bleed screw until neat fuel comes out, get someone to crank the engine whilst still pressurised and it should start .
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 14:03   #9
V50andy

where do you guys connect the hand pump? at the far end of the out pipe by the fuel rail and pump all the way to there, reconnect then crank?
V50andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 19:55   #10
msh

Hi
going back to the original post alternator replacement
I have just replaced mine with out disconnecting the fuel lines.
Release the 4 top bolts and the one torx on the side of the filter and you can left out the filter and turn upside down to give access for alternator removal
Mark
msh is offline   Reply With Quote