Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

kangs tools hub puller

Views : 663

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2018, 11:20   #1
lowflier

Default kangs tools hub puller

Morning all i bought one of these on recomendation of people that had used them on here. However when I came to use it yesterday I had problems.Firstly the extra end piece with the pimple for centering didn't fit on the end of the tool. tried it without bolted it up to hub wound in larger section till it bottomed on the halfshaft the wound in the smaller tommy barred thread. nothing is happening at all except the tommy bar is bending . Am I missing something or have I got a dud unit. Any advice please Al.
lowflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 12:10   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Al;

I think and believe you are writing of rear Drum pulling (Hubs/Halfshafts don't get pulled out of Differential in the course of normal servicing) so that's what my following info is directed at... I am not familiar with the "kangs tools" unit just from the name, so some pictures would help... but if pulling Drums, puller MUST be of the approved design, as shown here: http://www.sw-em.com/Brake_Drum_Notes.htm

Good Hunting
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 12:16   #3
lowflier

Thanks Ron Yes i'm pulling the rear brake drums off. The puller I have is the same one in the bottom picture of the article you posted for me .Its the 2 ton hydraulic one. I've read people on here have used them with success thats why I bought one.

Last edited by lowflier; Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:19.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 13:43   #4
Faust
Master Member

Al,

I'm in Beeston near Nottingham (just off junction 25 of the M1).

If you want a hand getting your drums off, bring your car round and I'll get them shifted for you.

Mike
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 14:05   #5
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Al;

After reading the Tech Article, you should be well informed with the important factors and ready to apply irresistible removal force (if you're still having doubts or difficulty, I'd verify hydraulic puller is operating as expected before uniting it with Drum)...if necessary, it sounds like Mike is also available to supply a second set of eyes and brain to check and assist...

Good Hunting!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 15:23   #6
lowflier

Thanks Ron and Faust. I have found the problem the plunger that is operated by winding in the smaller thread was already out stuck at its maximum travel so had nowhere to go. I put it on the press at work and gently pushed it back in. So all should be good hopefully. I think someone had used it and returned it as the instructions were missing also.
The Following User Says Thank You to lowflier For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 15:43   #7
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Al;

...so in your experience, it also didn't retract?!?...I recall another user having that experience...either they truly don't have a retracting spring, or this is a weak point in the design, which often fails, needing an outside compression force to retract the piston...the important thing, the extension of piston to make the irresistible force necessary for the job is certainly there, but the retraction seems to be a design weakness...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 16:04   #8
lowflier

Yes Ron its a design fault i'm going to have to do one side then nip back to work to push it back in on the press before I can do the opposite side. Luckily I only live 5 minutes from work. Thanks for your help.
The Following User Says Thank You to lowflier For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 22:09   #9
grahamwatson

I just knocked mine back in with a hammer. Didn't seem to do it any harm.

You are right that the tommy bar is a bit light. I expect that it may be designed that way, to avoid exceeding the design pressure, but I fabricated an adaptor to fit over the tommy bar (a short length of tube with a slot in one end to fit over the bar, and an old wheel nut welded on the other end) so that I could get a socket on it to release a particularly stubborn drum. Come to think of it, I could just have cut a slot in an old suitably sized socket to the same effect.

Whatever, this hydraulic puller worked for me where a "proper" manual one with all the tricks had failed.
grahamwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grahamwatson For This Useful Post: