Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Used car warranty

Views : 1021

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2018, 19:47   #11
volvo for ever
Premier Member

i took out volvo extended warranty its worth the money ..£299 for first year i got new locks on fron t doors, dpf hoses and sensor ,wheel bearings ,all covered
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 13:37   #12
andrewpain

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
When I got my car I had an Autoguard warranty cover with mine and I have to say they have been pretty good and very quick. While this was in cover (Too many mods now for it to be covered) but while the car was standard they changed the turbo and various bits with great ease.

The turbo was going in my car after getting it and I took it to a dealer and they just signed the job off straight away and the work was done.

On other things from air condition service with replacing condensers etc I have just sent them the receipt and they have just paid it back with no questions asked appart from just checking my service records were upto date.

I paid £300 which was for 3 years cover but after the 3 years all I had to do was show that the service records were kepts upto date and the warranty continued free of change.
sounds first-class service. All you could ask. Peace of mind is more important to some people than others....takes all sorts.
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 14:06   #13
Sheded

Thanks for your replies.....keep them coming.
Heard good things about Warranty Direct too.
Still pondering....
Sheded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 23:17   #14
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Check what is covered and what is not. But even for stuff that is covered, check for exceptions.

I paid extra for a warranty once. A couple of bits failed, and they weren't covered. In my case, it was the daftest thing. Window motors were covered, but the electronics that controlled the window motors weren't. How often does an electric motor fail. The electronics (on the car in question) are known to be flakey. Another one I saw, thankfully didn't affect me. The clutch is covered. Great. But any damage caused by a sudden clutch failure is excluded. So if your clutch exploded, they'd happily put a new one your smashed engine.

It seems to me that unless you're very careful, you end up paying to cover stuff that rarely fails while remaining unprotected for stuff that does relatively often end up costing.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 23:28   #15
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
When I got my car I had an Autoguard warranty cover with mine and I have to say they have been pretty good and very quick. While this was in cover (Too many mods now for it to be covered) but while the car was standard they changed the turbo and various bits with great ease.

The turbo was going in my car after getting it and I took it to a dealer and they just signed the job off straight away and the work was done.

On other things from air condition service with replacing condensers etc I have just sent them the receipt and they have just paid it back with no questions asked appart from just checking my service records were upto date.

I paid £300 which was for 3 years cover but after the 3 years all I had to do was show that the service records were kepts upto date and the warranty continued free of change.
from a garage pov, autogaurd have been good imo, always answer the phone quick, more than likely payout with most things. Unlike warranty wise you don't seem to have to spend months and months chasing payment either.
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 01:01   #16
volvo for ever
Premier Member

im afraid its same old same old you get what you pay for you buy cheap insurance less things covered,

volvo extended warranty is exact same as normal warranty even covers brake discs if warped and wear and tear on seat upholstery .
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 01:09   #17
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
im afraid its same old same old you get what you pay for you buy cheap insurance less things covered,
Exactly.

Insurance companies hardly ever go bust. Ie they are pretty much always in profit. They make their money by gambling. They are effectively the bookies. They maintain comprehensive statistics that enable them to estimate risk, and estimate how much they must charge each customer to mitigate their risk. They have a good idea, based on past data, how much they will have to pay out in claims. They know how much their overheads are. Then it's just a simple matter of balancing profit goals against chance of success against their competitors.

With a used car purchase, there is a gamble. When it comes to warranties, the buyer has to decide, will they take all of that gamble themselves, or will they pay somebody else to take some proportion of the risk on their behalf.

Last edited by rippedoffagain; Jan 21st, 2018 at 01:18.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 15:54   #18
andrewpain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoffagain View Post
Exactly.

Insurance companies hardly ever go bust. Ie they are pretty much always in profit. They make their money by gambling. They are effectively the bookies. They maintain comprehensive statistics that enable them to estimate risk, and estimate how much they must charge each customer to mitigate their risk. They have a good idea, based on past data, how much they will have to pay out in claims. They know how much their overheads are. Then it's just a simple matter of balancing profit goals against chance of success against their competitors.

With a used car purchase, there is a gamble. When it comes to warranties, the buyer has to decide, will they take all of that gamble themselves, or will they pay somebody else to take some proportion of the risk on their behalf.
exactly. When the house set the odds, who wins in the long run?
On which - good to see the Gov taking action to control gambling terminals at last....
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 15:10   #19
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
from a garage pov, autogaurd have been good imo, always answer the phone quick, more than likely payout with most things. Unlike warranty wise you don't seem to have to spend months and months chasing payment either.
Yes I defenitly agree with that, on replacing the turbo I couldnt afford to pay it out right straight away so the dealer and the garage sorted it out for me and everything was solved.

With other things like the aircon services and other services with parts, I just sent them the recipts and they just reimbursed me with anything that was covered

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 18:45   #20
Peter86
Pete

I had a extended warranty once with the dealerships preferred choice. Made use of it a lot on the car I had at the time, it wasn't a Volvo.

One claim they said wasn't covered but the book they gave me had the part in as covered. They did it with out argue because I had the paper work they gave me so I would advise to keep a copy of everything you are given or print it off so you have proof just in case.

I haven't got a warranty on my newer one (V70) but I did go over it with a fine comb when I got it and had everything sorted within the two month warranty period that the dealership offered (I didn't get it from Volvo).
Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote