Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Why Volvo?

Views : 2440

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 16:55   #1
AndrewMG

Default Why Volvo?

What made you choose Volvo over other manufacturers?

Is it a brand heritage from racing e.g. the 850 in BTCC?
Do you think your car is better than the equivalent from other manufacturers?
Did you just get a good PCP deal and would happily switch to someone else if the deal was better?
Volvo = safe?
Some other reasons that we'd never guess?
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 16:58   #2
Army
marches on his stomach

I bought a Volvo because it was cheap and in good condition. They were well made in 1961. (I have no idea what newer models are like - last time I drove one was in 1999 - V70 - it seemed OK back then)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 17:05   #3
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

What got me, at the time, was availability: my former boss has given himself leased mini as work car, and V70 was idle. He wasn't very happy to part with it, but eventually did..
Funny thing- he lasted whole 2 months and bought another one. Just couldn't live without it..

After few years with it, though..
Comfort.
Brand heritage- maybe.. But in terms of longevity.
Better than equivalent? What do you mean? What equivalent?
Comfort.

As yet, quite few things that I can fix myself.

Did I mention comfort?
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 17:11   #4
tt82
Forum Support Team

My dad owned a 440 when I was kid and I left school just as Volvo went into touring cars with the 850/S40. That played a big part in my fondness for the brand but having now owned 3 cars in 9 years, the typical attributes mentioned above have cemented my love of them.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 18:32   #5
Brankster

Bought mine to tow a caravan. Could have bought a Mazda or a Hyundai but the Volvo was so much nicer to drive and sit in.
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 19:13   #6
volvo always
Premier Member

My Nan owned a Volvo 340 which I liked.

Bought my own first car a 1986 740 GLE estate and what drew me was cheap to buy £425 comfy, safe for it's day, easy to work on.

If your talking a new Volvo model I would buy none. Probably buy Toyota or Lexus if I won the lottery.

Quite fancy a late 90's early 2000's Toyota landcruiser Colorado though but cost around 2k. Much prefer the more luxurious amazon.

James
volvo always is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 19:25   #7
phil1968
Master Member

We wanted a convertible (mid-life crisis ) & went with Volvo as we thought it was the left-field choice rather than go down the predictable Audi / BMW / Mercedes route.

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 19:29   #8
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Bought my first Volvo when I was 20. My elderly neighbor at the time has driven nothing but Volvos for years. As I was in need of a new car he said once you get a Volvo you won’t have anything else. There are not many cars that can do 150k miles on most of its original parts. My s60 was the most comfortable car I’ve ever had and was built to last. I like Volvo as a brand to. I spend a lot of time in Sweden with work and like the heritage it has. I’ve even been to the Volvo museum.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 20:04   #9
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

I got my first 940 estate without knowing very much at all about them except that they're huge, I needed a huge boot because I was always lugging stuff about. I knew they were rugged, and I thought I was buying a noisy, slow, uncomfortable but functional workhouse. I got the workhorse alright, but she wasn't noisy or slow or uncomfortable.

She had to go when I changed jobs to involve a long commute on a lower salary than I was used to. I simply couldn't afford to fuel her. I'd just bought a house too so and then car had developed a few age related faults that needed fixing. I couldn't justify it so sadly she had to go.

Time passed, I changed jobs again to a salary more like I'd become used to, and much more local too. Buy this time I'd had a few crappy cars that I hated, so I asked on here for someone to sell me a 940 estate, and so began another few years of trouble free, enjoyable motoring.

I don't have a volvo now. To be honest I can't see myself getting another anytime soon, unless I happen to chance upon a decent priced 700 or 900 series that's been loved by a genuine enthusiast. I've recently changed to another crap car but it was cheap. Before I did so I researched what volvos were in my extremely limited post Christmas budget, and many alarm bells went off. I should point out though, I really don't like the overcomplicated newer cars regardless of make, but there are newer cars that are cheaper than volvos so if I have to live with awful technological overkill, I'll pay the least I can get away with for it.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 20:09   #10
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

I drive a P2 Volvo because its one of the only vehicles I know of where you are FORCED to have a 5 cylinder engine, regardless of capacity/specification/fuel type or whether you want a turbo.

You're given a 5 pot, or nothing at all. I like that approach. It's different.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post: