Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ambient temp sensor

Views : 1025

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 22:04   #1
MartinPorter

Default Ambient temp sensor

The ambient temp on the info penal (position 1) as always shown “---“and has never given me any readings. Anyway got a new sensor after talking with gatos. Now I did use my dice when I was trying to sort an error with my SRS and also found that I had a DIM-0B error – which is sensor signal too low, and what I can’t understand , if the signal is low – how come if the temp hits zero or below my driver’s seat turns on? Searching the forum I found that from 2003+ the DIM needs to be enabled to display it (which needs to be done with VIDA) has anyone come across this before? And if so where do I find this on the VIDA to switch it on? Btw the old girl is an 2004 s40 sport.

Thanks for your help!
MartinPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 00:38   #2
Biotoxic
Master Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinPorter View Post
... how come if the temp hits zero or below my driver’s seat turns on? ...
Thanks for your help!

General info: Modern cars fitted with the outside temperature gauge usually have different extras or tasks associated with it. For example:
As in your case(although it is faulty, but it still gives a reading)
After a manufacturer pre-set temperature(usually +5 C) and if the sensor is working and displaying actual outside temperature and if programmed to do so a vehicle can perform automated tasks if the engine is runing, such as:

Automatic rear window heating.
Defrosting the outside rearview mirrors.
Automatic seat heating.
Glow plug control unit activating the glow plugs.
Auxilary heating on(if fitted) and other tasks

Outside ambient temperature sensor also has a crucial role how the engine performs.

All important... fuel mixture!
It makes fuel mixture richer while the engine is heating up(usually bellow +5C), hence it uses more fuel on warmup. Once it gets up to the temperature it switches back to normal operating conditions.

So if the temperature gauge/display reads -37C(for example) while actual outside air temperature is +15C, it means your car is using slightly more fuel that it is supposed to, hence the lower MPG that you're getting. There are other factors in play as well, for example, a thermostat and so on.....

Long story short. If the temperature display shows incorrect temperature, get it sorted, normally it's a cheap fix.
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biotoxic For This Useful Post: