Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

parking sensors

Views : 1155

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2011, 23:31   #1
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Default parking sensors

Thanks Volvo, personally I think the beep of the sensors is more important than the seatbelt reminder chime but I guess that's just me. Oh and the woman in the merc I backed into.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 16:36   #2
tayandre

I don't mean to sound inflamatory but as always these driver aids are exactly that, not a driver replacement. But you maybe have a point in that the highway code does permit you to reverse without a seatbelt on. However, it also says make good use of mirrors and look behind you, neither of which you'll need a reminder...i hope it's not too dear a bump and nobody hurt.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 16:55   #3
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayandre View Post
I don't mean to sound inflamatory but as always these driver aids are exactly that, not a driver replacement. But you maybe have a point in that the highway code does permit you to reverse without a seatbelt on. However, it also says make good use of mirrors and look behind you, neither of which you'll need a reminder...i hope it's not too dear a bump and nobody hurt.
Exactly...

The beepers only beep as well as they are set, and by law, you aren't allow to rely on them. It is a parking assistent and assistents aren't perfect, as they do tend to make mistakes. The same these "auto parking systems". You still have to apply brake, clutch and throttle and also select your gear... Due to liablity.

BLIS doesn't replace looking over your shoulder...
The airbags don't replace putting the seatbelts on...
ABS doesn't replace using the brakes right...
ESP/DSTC doesn't overcome the laws of physics...
CitySafety doesn't replace the need of looking where you are driving...

That is why in big companies, the assistants don't make the major decissions

You can't blame Volvo... Blame yourself for not getting out and checking how much distance there is between you and the car behind...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 19:48   #4
kristoff

Hope there' s not too much damage to your car Ben.

Not too bothered about the Merc...

S40 1.8 SE 2008 Met Black Sapphire : :broken_heart

BMW E90 320d MSport 2008 Met Black Sapphire
kristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 19:25   #5
Bendolfc
Premier Member

I know it was my fault, my main reason for posting was to help others avoid the same mistake, visibility out of the S40 is crap, especially when you have to reverse right up to something to get out of a small space.

Fortunately it was a low speed impact and no damage to either car.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 18:30   #6
crankie

my last two cars had parking sensors fitted then i bought my v70 without any,i said i wasnt fitting any as i dont need them.but i hadent realised how much i had become reliant on them.i have got them on now after reversing into a post
crankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 19:09   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

when the tone goes to continuous you still have a small gap but should regard this as absolute mazimum . , did you keep going back when the tone went continuous ?
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 19:43   #8
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Who me? In my case there was no parking sensor tone, it is overridden in favour of the seat belt chimes.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 21:44   #9
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

That's why the Merc system of tone and lights is so good - in fact the Merc system is so good that when backing up to a hedge in mate's W220 S class it was showing 'very close' on the nearside and just 'close' on the offside. The difference was that there was a trunk in the hedge on the nearside but just branches on the offside.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 09:15   #10
tayandre

Ah.....so equipped with the front version of the same device, is that how Mercedes drivers manage to position themselves so close to the rear of the car in front? I think that device is also very cleverly integrated into the main beam flash function to warn the driver of the Mercedes if he/she should still have a few millimeters of space to go before he/she actually touches the bumper of the car in front. Great how Merc get it to work at motoroway speeds and not just when parking. Strangely it only seems to work in the outside lane on Motorways...truely awesome piece of kit.