Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Onyx Black hard to maintain?

Views : 7254

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2020, 19:59   #21
Davebbass

Black looks amazing if looked after properly. So no dealer washing, no local hand car washing either. The only way to keep black good is for it to be properly washed with a decent pre wash, safe two bucket contact wash and either blown or carefully dried with a dual pile towel.

My old man has a black Prius which I look after, and it looks amazing when clean. Has a sort of purple tint to it in some light too. Unfortunately it got into a crunch and had to be valeted when it went in for repair, and it's come back covered in swirl marks and such. That's when they start to look shoddy I find... I'm not going to rectify it until spring though, as there's no point in detailing and paint correcting a car right before winter 😂
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 23:38   #22
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
.............Think of one of those Nordic Scandinavian dramas where a grizzled detective is standing moodily on a windswept beach in the rain, staring into the grey drizzle with a mournful look on his face while pondering the dead body at his feet. *That* is Pebble Grey............
Looks like Sniff Petrol was right all along.....

Here is their news story from 2013.

https://sniffpetrol.com/2013/02/14/v...-new-strategy/
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 11:16   #23
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebbass View Post
Black looks amazing if looked after properly. So no dealer washing, no local hand car washing either. The only way to keep black good is for it to be properly washed with a decent pre wash, safe two bucket contact wash and either blown or carefully dried with a dual pile towel.

My old man has a black Prius which I look after, and it looks amazing when clean. Has a sort of purple tint to it in some light too. Unfortunately it got into a crunch and had to be valeted when it went in for repair, and it's come back covered in swirl marks and such. That's when they start to look shoddy I find... I'm not going to rectify it until spring though, as there's no point in detailing and paint correcting a car right before winter 😂
Want a job? I'll give you my address
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 18:04   #24
jarm

Thanks to all who replied.

If I should go for the Onyx Black demo, how to keep it clean and the maintenance minimum? Ceramic coating?
jarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 18:47   #25
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarm View Post
Thanks to all who replied.

If I should go for the Onyx Black demo, how to keep it clean and the maintenance minimum? Ceramic coating?
Have a look at the link below. I asked similar questions and got some very good, detailed advice.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=305728
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 23:15   #26
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
Want a job? I'll give you my address
Me first!

He would have go pass me in Chesterfield to get from Rochdale to Watford anyway so might as well stop off and detail my car on the way past!
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 01:46   #27
Davebbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Me first!

He would have go pass me in Chesterfield to get from Rochdale to Watford anyway so might as well stop off and detail my car on the way past!
My girlfriend lives in Barnsley so you’ve got a chance 😂
Old Nov 3rd, 2020, 21:24   #28
jarm

Thanks for all the feedback. I chose the Onyx Black demo. Will see how hard it is to maintain
jarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jarm For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 23:25   #29
PaulWilliams78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarm View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I chose the Onyx Black demo. Will see how hard it is to maintain
Just wondering if you are happy with your choice a few months in? I am just about to order a new V90 B4D, blonde interior, B&W and few other bits and bobs. I recently visited my local dealer and every single Onyx Black car in the dealership shown swirl lines on them. I really like the look of Black but I live 10 minutes from sea and think the sea salt won't do me any favours and constantly make the car look dirty.

They have changed Grey options again and so either Pebble Grey or Platinum Grey would be my only Grey options.

It's so difficult to make the choice!!!
PaulWilliams78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 17:14   #30
Hogster

I'm on my 4th black car (from a variety of brands - solid, metallic and pearlescent), and whilst I vow "never again" each time I own one, I actually don't mind it, and as people have said it looks great when clean. If you're anal about clean cars then buy a different colour. If you're a bit more "whatever" about clean cars, then black will be fine.