Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Catalytic Converter Theft

Views : 7327

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2020, 14:38   #11
volvo always
Premier Member

My Toyota Auris Hybrid is a right target for theft. After a week of buying fitted an ebay plate that I had extra 16mm bars welded on and fitted by a local garage. I used car filler over the mounting bolts.

A lot cheaper than the Toyota Catlock at £250. Mine cost £70. Reports of catlock just being cut through.

It is a worry parking your car while shopping etc!

People have had the scum on CCTV and the police not interested as don't have the time etc. There is currently no deterent. We need some bait cars in known hotspots and thieves ruffed up a bit to find the ringleaders!

James

Last edited by volvo always; Oct 26th, 2020 at 14:46.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 14:43   #12
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Purely out of curiosity, would you share the same view if said toerag had cost you a grand in replacement costs of the cat and exhaust system?

Remember this wasn't the first one he'd done, he had stolen many other cats from people who were all also someones spouse, offspring or siblings. Often it will fall on family members to foot the bill for replacement because the owner (i use the term loosely due to the various finance packages/contract hires etc these days) is just about making ends meet on a good week.

They lose a minimum of a day at work to have the repairs done, never mind the time lost between when it first happens and the parts become available.
That could easily be a week or more and in the worst cases, that person might lose their job because they can't get there or perhaps can't get an ill relative to hospital and that person dies as a result.

The thief knew the risks involved, cars can fall off jacks all too easily - i still bear the scar of when it happened to me. That was in broad daylight in my own drive on my own car, repairing it for the MoT.

I didn't say i was glad, that was you putting words in my mouth. I merely pointed out the obvious advantages of his demise - he would have been caught due to the CCTV and very many hours of Police time (that's your money paying for that time by the way, through your council tax among other methods) actually tracking the guy down, arresting him, taking him to court and so on, not to mention the cost per day of keeping him incarcerated for his crimes.

It's no wonder crime is so high here now, successive govts (of all political orientation) have reduced the Police force to a farce, not only in sheer numbers of officers but in their powers of arrest. I used to watch a lot of emergency service based tv (Road Wars, Police Interceptors, 999 on the front line, 999 what's your emergency and so on) and i've noticed over recent years instead of the arresting officer advising the "perp" they are "Under arrest to facilitate the prompt investigation of the alleged crime" they now say something along the lines of "We're going to have to arrest you, is that alright?".

What would they do if the criminal said "No chance copper" but in more "elaborate" words consisting of at least one Anglo-Saxon derived expletive and did a runner? Not a lot i shouldn't think because they're not allowed to tackle the criminals anymore as far as i'm aware.

Why has this happened? Because do-gooders have successfully badgered the various govts over the years to treat criminals better and now criminals have no fear of the police, possible consequences (loss of liberty etc) or law in general.

I have no idea of your age group and i'm not asking but if you are a certain age group or older, you'll see the logic in what i have presented here - you may not agree with it but i'm sure you'll agree there is logic there.

hehe you assume the scrote doing the theft + damage would get a sentence in prison ,, chances of "oh he's (insert some bleating) " and a slap on the wrist "dont do it again" are more than probable.

doesnt matter Why you are under a car, if it is You that jacked it up / levitated off the ground , its 1000000% your fault if it falls/slips.

scrote 0 - Car 1 ,,

as to the thefts, it happens scrotes will do anything they can if they think its easy money.

as to the "comment" about "what drove him to it",, He chose to , he deals with the consequences. Far too many bleat ""ah but ,,,, drove him/her to,,,,,"
no they Chose to step outside the law and do "whatever it was/is"
there are Lots of us on the breadline/poverty line, with next to Nothing to our name, Thankfully its only a small (ish) percentage that Choose to commit a crime
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 15:10   #13
Scooser

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
Why you are under a car, if it is You that jacked it up / levitated off the ground , its 1000000% your fault if it falls/slips.

scrote 0 - Car 1 ,,

as to the thefts, it happens scrotes will do anything they can if they think its easy money.
Nobody, including me, is challenging that. You are preaching to the converted.

What I do find very uncomfortable on the forum is the logic that because he’s a scrote, you are glad he died in the process of theft. Plus, the others giving a thumbs up to the response. I find it disturbing, but hey, nowt so queer as folk.

I generally don’t hear the same uncomfortable views on white collar crime.

If it was your son that went off the rails and that happened I doubt you’d be smirking at the unfortunate event. Better people than you have lost children to crime.
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 15:20   #14
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooser View Post
Nobody, including me, is challenging that. You are preaching to the converted.

What I do find very uncomfortable on the forum is the logic that because he’s a scrote, you are glad he died in the process of theft. Plus, the others giving a thumbs up to the response. I find it disturbing, but hey, nowt so queer as folk.

I generally don’t hear the same uncomfortable views on white collar crime.

If it was your son that went off the rails and that happened I doubt you’d be smirking at the unfortunate event. Better people than you have lost children to crime.
assumptions by the skip full

there is a Old old saying
"if you cant do the time Dont do the crime"

as to why I should give a hoot that A scrote mucked up stealing and died,, nope not a single hoot given

as for the Last comment
"better people than you have lost children to crime"

Thanks, Really REALLY good of you to throw that at me
seeing as my daughter is dead due to one of the criminal element attacking the wife @ 8 1/2 months pregnant ,,,,,
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 01:33   #15
Bashy
Aged Member

The reason why is "imo" self-evident, the "Methadone" is the giveaway.........
So, yeah, one less scrote is a good call.

I for 1 do not condone any car taking the law into its own hands but, I am so glad I do not use my handbrake, not that it would matter at the minute anyway seen as it wouldn't stop a flea's fart.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 21:33   #16
oilit
All the gear - no idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Not so much on a diseasel as you don't have a catalytic converter in the same sense as petrol cars do. You may have a DPF but i don't think the metals used are anywhere near as precious as things like platinum that is commonly used in the cats for petrol cars.
I am afraid I have a different view on this in part:-

I have been breaking a 2004 V70 D5 AWD as I bought it for the turbo for another V70 I had - and I got the whole car for less than a recon turbo because it's gearbox was broken.

The first thing to take off, and the last thing to sell was the Cat. So Volvo absolutely do put cats on their diesels (or did in 2004 ie pre DPF) - if they no longer do so on DPF enabled cars then I defer to your superior knowledge. I know because I got more or less £120 for it about two weeks ago - and compare that to the £30 I got for the one off my daughters petrol Polo which is buried in the manifold (which had a hole in the welds so was beyond economic repair) you can see that Volvo cats are certainly worth more than some other cars.

The reputable metal recyclers have computer systems so they can put the part number into a system to accurately identify the item and then weigh it to double check it. If that all matches up then they give you a system -determined amount of money into your bank account (no cash).

I am sure someone can tell us how much chemical kicks of your preferred choice you can get - but I suspect those who are in need to feed their habit know which vehicles have the best value cats.

I am told the higher the vehicle the more likely a target you will be - ie 4x4 & vans/trucks are more likely, and as mentioned above certain Japanese vehicles have a higher amount of the precious metals than other brands.

Be careful where you park and make it hard for these people to easily get under your vehicle (think: if you park two wheels on the pavement and two on the road - you are effectively lifting the centre of the vehicle higher to make it easier for them. If you have a raised drain, or a slope on a drive park the car with the cat over the raised drain or the crescent of the slope to the flat bit)

One last tip - apparently you can chain and padlock them on to the vehicle - which will slow them down - it wont entirely stop a determined thief.

Last edited by oilit; Oct 28th, 2020 at 21:44.
oilit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilit For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 21:49   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilit View Post
I am afraid I have a different view on this in part:-

I have been breaking a 2004 V70 D5 AWD as I bought it for the turbo for another V70 I had - and I got the whole car for less than a recon turbo because it's gearbox was broken.

The first thing to take off, and the last thing to sell was the Cat. So Volvo absolutely do put cats on their diesels (or did in 2004 ie pre DPF) - if they no longer do so on DPF enabled cars then I defer to your superior knowledge. I know because I got more or less £120 for it about two weeks ago - and compare that to the £30 I got for the one off my daughters petrol Polo which is buried in the manifold (which had a hole in the welds so was beyond economic repair) you can see that Volvo cats are certainly worth more than some other cars.

The reputable metal recyclers have computer systems so they can put the part number into a system to accurately identify the item and then weigh it to double check it. If that all matches up then they give you a system -determined amount of money into your bank account (no cash).

I am sure someone can tell us how much chemical kicks of your preferred choice you can get - but I suspect those who are in need to feed their habit know which vehicles have the best value cats.

I am told the higher the vehicle the more likely a target you will be - ie 4x4 & vans/trucks are more likely, and as mentioned above certain Japanese vehicles have a higher amount of the precious metals than other brands.

Be careful where you park and make it hard for these people to easily get under your vehicle (think: if you park two wheels on the pavement and two on the road - you are effectively lifting the centre of the vehicle higher to make it easier for them. If you have a raised drain, or a slope on a drive park the car with the cat over the raised drain or the crescent of the slope to the flat bit)

One last tip - apparently you can chain and padlock them on to the vehicle - which will slow them down - it wont entirely stop a determined thief.
I did endeavour to point out that although some diseasels do have cats, they're not the same as petrol cats, maybe i missed something in the conveyance of that.

I think the best method to avoid cat theft is to buy a pre-1992 petrol car that doesn't have a cat or convert a post-92 to LPG and legally remove the cat yourself.
They can't nick what isn't there! thumbs_up:

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 22:29   #18
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooser View Post
I’m all for harsh punishments, but the idea that somehow you are glad that a car had crushed to death a petty criminal beggars belief.

He is someone’s either son, husband, dad - and you don’t know what drove him to crime.

A very sad story.
No, just a thieving scumbag who's luck and intelligence ran out.
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 15:21   #19
The Thong
VOC Member

I’ve always said that we should do away with calling this Country The United Kingdom and call it Tesco’s or some other self service outlet. People just think they can help themselves to anything they want and because of our weakened law enforcement, it strikes me that theft has become soooo much easier.

TT
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 18:04   #20
c1800
Master Member

Interesting suggestion on this newsletter.

https://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post: