Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rule of nine

Views : 2611

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2020, 19:26   #31
Army
marches on his stomach

@Derek UK

I don't have pictures of the wear I've seen (well I'm fiarly sure I don't - I will check)

I have seen the following wear => Much like the shadows you can see on a worn cylinder bore I've seen patches on rocker arm polished surfaces where the softer core metal is showing through.

I've found this on abused engines that probably haven't had frequent oil changes.

The polished surfaces (where there has been contact) tend to be dull and scratched when oil changes have not been done for ages

####

I've also seen more prominent wear through hardened surfaces where there has probably been rust problems. I can't remember which forum it was - but recently I remember a thread with a "can I use a rusty camshaft" question. I didn't respond. The problem with rust is that it is as soft as **** and so from a spot of rust you can get a chipping-like wearing propagation of wear across the hardened surface.

Rust ain't great.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!

Last edited by Army; Oct 29th, 2020 at 19:29.
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 07:04   #32
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
I've commented before on Ron's reasoning on grooved rockers. I've never see anything other than a shiny witness mark. The surfaces are hardened. Not long ago I did a light smoothing to a set I had on the shelf. Easy to do. That was to replace the ones on my Estate as I thought they might need a little TLC. When I took those off they looked just the same as the ones I'd refurbed. I think I posted some pics. I think I also asked for people to check any that they had or were willing to take off their engine. I asked for pics if they found any worn into a trough. No pictures were forthcoming. I'll repeat that request.
Do you have pics Ron? I've seen this fault in diagrams on the web but have not seen any actual picture of it in the metal. It would have to be caused by lack of oil to the rockers along with considerable neglect over a long period. IMO.
I don't have pictures; but, when I rebuilt my B20E at about 110,000 miles, the rockers had nice grooves in the contact face that you could feel with your fingernail. I took them to a local machine shop, the proprietor of which raced an MGB and supported a lot of vintage 4 cylinder racers. I asked him about restoring them and the need to surface harden after restoration. He looked at them and said "no surface hardening on the rockers, $50 plus tax to reprofile them". Phil Singher made the same comment on the Swedespeed forum that the rockers are not surface hardened and also advised on the use of a small feeler gauge on older rockers if you wanted to get an accurate measurement of lash.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2020, 22:46   #33
sleek lemur

In the argument about American or British terminology, I was going to suggest that Swedish might be a good compromise.

I just looked up Swedish for "bonnet". There are two words, but I can't work out which one is for the car and which one refers to a cute hat worn by a character in a nursery rhyme.
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleek lemur For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 01:14   #34
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek lemur View Post
In the argument about American or British terminology, I was going to suggest that Swedish might be a good compromise.

I just looked up Swedish for "bonnet". There are two words, but I can't work out which one is for the car and which one refers to a cute hat worn by a character in a nursery rhyme.
Hmmmmm, a few problems there. First, i and probably many others on here don't speak Swedish (although i understand a few words) and second, as an example, what do you suppose "Guiding Lights" are?

The clue is there is nothing in the Swedish language (so i'm told by a Swedish friend) to describe "Day Running Lights". There are many other things that don't have a translation too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 09:56   #35
arcturus
arcturus

Try Dagsljus
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 10:29   #36
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Try Dagsljus
That's "Daylight" according to Goggle Translate. Doesn't cover Daytime Running Lights which are called "Guiding Lights" or "Vägledande lampor".

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 7th, 2020, 20:51   #37
Underdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Hmmmmm, a few problems there. First, i and probably many others on here don't speak Swedish (although i understand a few words) and second, as an example, what do you suppose "Guiding Lights" are?

The clue is there is nothing in the Swedish language (so i'm told by a Swedish friend) to describe "Day Running Lights". There are many other things that don't have a translation too.
I thought they were called 'side lights'. Haynes manuals and MOT forms.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2020, 21:18   #38
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdrive View Post
I thought they were called 'side lights'. Haynes manuals and MOT forms.
Nope, in Sweden they are "Guiding Lights" and here, Day Running Lights and it's also law that new cars from 2011 must have them. I think there's a loop hole about cars built before 2011 but still sold after not having to have them but the way models have changed/evolved over the past 20 years, that doesn't leave many out!

Side lights are obligatory lights on all cars and must work unless the DRLs remain lit with the lights on.

Construction and Use regs - somewhere!