Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best All-Season SUV tyre

Views : 40456

Replies : 174

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Best All season suv tyre
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All season 50 24.63%
michelin cross climate 78 38.42%
Goodyear vector 4 season 12 5.91%
nokian weatherproof 37 18.23%
other 26 12.81%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 18th, 2020, 08:24   #141
Dastardly Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
I think for our climate you're right. For Sweden where the poster lives, the case for two sets is better made.
I've worked in Finland. At the time I was running an Outlander on Weatherproofs and it was as capable as any supposed snow tyre. They're full on 3 peaks show rated, just like one-trick snow boots.

As aforementioned, the best of the modern all condition tyres are superb, a different league to that which were available only a decade ago
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 09:49   #142
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

I'm running Yokohama Geolander G015's on my XC90 and I'm very happy with them.

Not cheap but a good tyre.👍

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 12:42   #143
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

I think that you need to differentiate between driving on ice and driving on snow.Ice driving needs studs.
All season are fine on snow and in the summer and not good on ice, winter are ok on ice, fine on snow and crap in summer, summer are fine on tarmac, crap on ice and fun on snow.
Just my opinion, feel free to disagree.
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 13:46   #144
BlueDevil

Yeah, I know all but studs is sh*t on ice. I'm more concerned about regular snowfall, when it snows a day or two and roads have like 3-5 inches of fresh snow on them, the type where your tires don't get into contact with road surface but you rather drive on top of the (more or less compressed) snow. I need tires to get some grip there, unlike summer tires.

Also, when there's no snowfall but days are cold, like -10, summer tires get too hard in that temperature (or anything less than +8 IMHO) and you are driving on plastic rather than rubber. Slippery as hell. I need tires to provide grip there.

And finally in summer, with +35 in shade, when the road is so hot you can't walk barefoot, and when the sun sets down you can feel the road radiating heat for another 3 hours, I need rubber to be good on that, too.

That's why I felt like one tire will never be able to cover both summer and winter as good as summer tires + winter ones do. But lately I'm beginning to read that these new ones can...
BlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 13:50   #145
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
Yeah, I know all but studs is sh*t on ice. I'm more concerned about regular snowfall, when it snows a day or two and roads have like 3-5 inches of fresh snow on them, the type where your tires don't get into contact with road surface but you rather drive on top of the (more or less compressed) snow. I need tires to get some grip there, unlike summer tires.

Also, when there's no snowfall but days are cold, like -10, summer tires get too hard in that temperature (or anything less than +8 IMHO) and you are driving on plastic rather than rubber. Slippery as hell. I need tires to provide grip there.

And finally in summer, with +35 in shade, when the road is so hot you can't walk barefoot, and when the sun sets down you can feel the road radiating heat for another 3 hours, I need rubber to be good on that, too.

That's why I felt like one tire will never be able to cover both summer and winter as good as summer tires + winter ones do. But lately I'm beginning to read that these new ones can...
You are probably correct given your climate extremes, but here in the temperate UK all season are fine.
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 18:09   #146
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsdalebear View Post
You are probably correct given your climate extremes, but here in the temperate UK all season are fine.
...was my advice/counsel in the Poster's very specific circumstances.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 07:52   #147
BlueDevil

Thanx for all the info, guys. I appreciate it.
BlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 15:58   #148
Deck1ng
Master Member

I know I’m a bit late to the party here but having read all the posts, I thought I would check my tyres a bit closer.
I drive the XC60 2012 D5, I replaced all 4 corners with 235,65/17R, 108W. XL’s Cross
Climates in Oct 2018. Since then I have covered 19108 miles.
Today’s tread depth show 6mm on rear two, and 5.5 on front two. I pressure them at 39 psi
throughout the year. (As per Eco pressure)
Having just bought 2 new tyres, I see the tread depth new is 7.5mm. I’m happy 😆.

Last edited by Deck1ng; Oct 30th, 2020 at 16:11.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deck1ng For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 17:34   #149
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck1ng View Post
I know I’m a bit late to the party here but having read all the posts, I thought I would check my tyres a bit closer.
I drive the XC60 2012 D5, I replaced all 4 corners with 235,65/17R, 108W. XL’s Cross
Climates in Oct 2018. Since then I have covered 19108 miles.
Today’s tread depth show 6mm on rear two, and 5.5 on front two. I pressure them at 39 psi
throughout the year. (As per Eco pressure)
Having just bought 2 new tyres, I see the tread depth new is 7.5mm. I’m happy 😆.
Certainly the best tyre I have used on mine and with hard towing use. The Volvo is now the second car but will be replacing the new car with Cross Climates when current ones wear out.

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 22:04   #150
NickMV70

Just to comment on the cross climates. I had a set fitted to my v60 in August / September. Was slightly concerned about snow / ice performance but I shouldn’t have. Over the last week we’ve had a snow dump in North York’s with the gritters not being out and the tyres have performed brilliantly. As a previous advocate of separate summer / winter tyres I’m totally converted to All Season
NickMV70 is offline   Reply With Quote