Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low Battery Message

Views : 14588

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2020, 16:43   #51
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Hi All,

+1 for Clan's advice.

XC60 2015.

I have had the low battery message since June. Car is lucky to get a 20 mile run a week. Charging the battery (so called intelligent charger!) until it was charged and the charger automatically turned off. Made no difference.

Spotted Clans advice on another post about charging for 48hrs and thought its worth a try.

Over 2 days I had to reset the charger several times when it automatically stopped and now magically the low battery message has gone, stop start now works (knew there would be a down side) and the electric boot (Tailgate?) now works every time.

After 3 weeks without any charging it still all works ok.

Now time for another 48hr charge.

Bob.

PS. Connected charger direct to battery and also tried the power socket in the boot made no difference. So extension cable from garage to inside boot and sat charger on top of boot cover so it could be seen through rear window. car could still be locked and secure while charging.
At last someone agrees 😀 This is not something I came up with it is Volvos own advice for the current virus circumstances .. When you have recovered your battery their advice is to charge it every 2 weeks , or you can keep your so called clever charger on it 👍
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 22:42   #52
Miyo360

...just a further update on this. Since driving the car much more this past week, the SoC seems to hover around 70-75% whenever I remember to check.

Also, Stop/Start has started working again. I guess the SoC needed to be above a certain threshold for this to start working, as around 50-70% it said S/S was 'unavailable'.

Anyway, the 'Low Battery' message has not returned this week. The car will be doing a 450-mile round trip over 48 hours in just over a weeks time, so will see if that gets the battery up over 80% SoC.

...Yes, I could just leaves it on the charger, but its a pain to setup. The car is parked on the street, quite far from the house, so it's not easy to setup daisy-chained extension cables to the car...

I have been asked to check 'quiescent current average' using the 'car scanner' app, so I'll report back the measurement of that.
Miyo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 15:39   #53
avrovulcan

Hi, we do need a new battery for our 2016 manual XC60 2.0 D4. We only do short journeys , mainly under 10 miles, with just the occasional longer 50 mile+ journey.

The battery already installed is an EFB 096, the battery that has been recommended to us as a replacement is an AGM 096.

From what I have read, the AGM is meant for auto's not manual and the car would need re-programming if we change from an EFB to an AGM?

I'm a bit wary of upgrading to AGM, so would it be better to stay with an EFB?

The EFB I have been looking at are one of the following:

Excide 096 EFB 70An EL700
Varta N70 12V 70Ah Type 096

Which would be best?

The AGM recommended is Exide 096 AGM700 70An EK700

Thanks
avrovulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 15:55   #54
glynh

take a look at https://www.tayna.co.uk/, i have used them before and they are competitive.

Personally i would stick with the same battery type, so just take a look at what is currently fitted and go from there. saves any issues (if any) that may occur over time with different charging/etc

I checked my V60 and that clearly states a EFB, and is a clearly labelled Volvo battery so 100% certain that is original and the type, so check yours. Tanya does say AGM for mine also, but they cannot be 100% correct all the time.

also EFB is cheaper i think.
glynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 16:44   #55
avrovulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynh View Post
take a look at https://www.tayna.co.uk/, i have used them before and they are competitive.

Personally i would stick with the same battery type, so just take a look at what is currently fitted and go from there. saves any issues (if any) that may occur over time with different charging/etc

I checked my V60 and that clearly states a EFB, and is a clearly labelled Volvo battery so 100% certain that is original and the type, so check yours. Tanya does say AGM for mine also, but they cannot be 100% correct all the time.

also EFB is cheaper i think.
Hi, I contacted them yesterday and they are the ones who recommended the AGM upgrade. I think the battery in ours is original too, as it is also labelled Volvo.

Do you know if anything will need re-setting when the battery is changed over?
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 18:44   #56
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrovulcan View Post
Hi, I contacted them yesterday and they are the ones who recommended the AGM upgrade. I think the battery in ours is original too, as it is also labelled Volvo.

Do you know if anything will need re-setting when the battery is changed over?
My Volvo has an EFB type battery, while our Kia has an AGM. Due to limited usage I'm regularly using a smart charger to keep them topped up and a different charger setting is needed for the two different battery types. So I don't see how you can simply 'upgrade' your EFB to an AGM type without somehow altering the vehicle charging system.
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 19:05   #57
avrovulcan

Hi,

I am going to stick with the EFB, that's what is in the car now. I am glad I asked as I wasn't sure the battery could 'just' be upgraded.

I am going to go with the 'Exide EFB 096 EL700'

Will anything need to be reset when swapping over the battery - are radio codes needed? I haven't got any other power source to attach to the leads to keep power to the electrics.

Changing a car battery never used to be so complicated!

Thanks for your help
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 19:24   #58
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrovulcan View Post
Hi,

I am going to stick with the EFB, that's what is in the car now. I am glad I asked as I wasn't sure the battery could 'just' be upgraded.

I am going to go with the 'Exide EFB 096 EL700'

Will anything need to be reset when swapping over the battery - are radio codes needed? I haven't got any other power source to attach to the leads to keep power to the electrics.

Changing a car battery never used to be so complicated!

Thanks for your help
I've disconnected mine several times without any problems occuring.

You should reset the battery monitoring system... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu9z...&feature=share
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 08:34   #59
glynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I've disconnected mine several times without any problems occuring.

You should reset the battery monitoring system... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu9z...&feature=share
this is the same as the video, just easier to copy/print to take to the car. Also this worked for mine and got the stop/start working as apparently once the battery goes down past a certain level the system will leave it disabled even if you charge it up again via an external charger.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308958

"If you replace the main AGM you must reset the BMS computer.

One of the most important parts of the reset is the lifetime clock.

I recently replaced my 2014 D6 PHEV AGM battery.

The good news is you DON'T need VIDA.

Switch On Ignition do not start car.

Switch on dipped beam

Press 6 times the rear fog light switch

Press 3 times the hazard button

The little battery light in the speedo sould now flash 3 times quickly.

If it does not. Wait 20 seconds before trying again. "
glynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 13:20   #60
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynh View Post

this is the same as the video, just easier to copy/print to take to the car. Also this worked for mine and got the stop/start working as apparently once the battery goes down past a certain level the system will leave it disabled even if you charge it up again via an external charger.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308958

"If you replace the main AGM you must reset the BMS computer.

One of the most important parts of the reset is the lifetime clock.

I recently replaced my 2014 D6 PHEV AGM battery.

The good news is you DON'T need VIDA.

Switch On Ignition do not start car.

Switch on dipped beam

Press 6 times the rear fog light switch

Press 3 times the hazard button

The little battery light in the speedo sould now flash 3 times quickly.

If it does not. Wait 20 seconds before trying again. "

The battery monitor automatically resets when the battery is disconnected ... It then goes to a mid point to a best guess for a good battery , then re adapts to the correct data quite quickly ...
That is why stop start will work if you take the battery off or fit a new one but will stop working as soon as the battery monitor has adapted to the real data ..