Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wind noise

Views : 2504

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2020, 17:10   #1
Scotia64

Default Wind noise

Recently I’ve been hearing wind noise, like a window is open a wee bit. Today I noticed the sunroof doesn’t look quite closed . I’ve opened the roof & pressed the button to close its self .
Does this look right or wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 687B162E-CA28-4D47-AF2B-48BE9E7E49CF.jpg (50.4 KB, 112 views)
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 17:59   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

It should be flush.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 18:03   #3
Scotia64

The sunroof sits proud by 2 or 3 mm.
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 19:37   #4
Whyman
Premier Member

I had this on my car. I opened the sunroof and it would not close completely. As a short term solution I cleaned the rubber seals on the roof and th sunroof and closed it while they were still wet.

When I got home I cleaned the seals again and applied some silicone grease.

All has been fine since then.
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 19:46   #5
Deman77
Master Member

That does not look wrong to me.
I think mine always had a bit of step.
Put it this way - if you sunroof was being left open enough to let noise in you would have flooding.
The thing about any car noise is once you become conscious of it it is impossible to tune it out and you think it is new.
These are not great wind noise cars but you must be lucky because for most of this platform volvo owners road noise drowns out any wind noise.
I have roof bars permanently sitting on mine and i cannot say I can tell they are on - granted mine a whispbars which are the quietest but still they would add wind noise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 22:50   #6
DougB1949
Saab Lover

Default xc60 wind noise from closed sunroof

Had an xc60 from new (Dec2016) which has sunroof as one of the optional extras. After 18 months (or so) sunroof didn't close flush to fixed glazing and experienced ever increasing wind noise from 30 mph+. Dealer checked and advised that sunroof motor calibration needed adjustment as it was cutting out too quickly before it had fully seated itself. This problem recurred at 42 months old so will now (possibly) have argument over cost of remedy this time round. Car going in for 4th annual service in Dec 2020 and this issue has been flagged. Will report outcome in due course.
NB: have cleaned around the roof seal to see if it helps but has had no beneficial effect.
DougB1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 08:09   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Open the sunroof on tilt, smear silicone grease on the seal and leave it to soak in for 20-30 minutes. Gently wipe off the excess. Close the panel then open in slide mode and smear silicone grease on the part you couldn't get on tilt - again let it soak and gently wipe off the excess. Clean and lube the slides if you can access them (use silicone grease still) wiping off any excess after "exercising" the panel through the FULL range of movement.

This should improve matters in general and may well solve the problem for the cost of a bit of your time, cleaning and applying :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carlube-X...t/401566432403

It's also great once a year before winter on the door, bonnet and boot seals to prevent them sticking/freezing to the bodywork.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 12:45   #8
EssexExile
Master Member

I've had my car nearly two years and I haven't opened the sunroof yet, I think I'll stick with that regime.
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 18:15   #9
avrovulcan

I have same problem with mine.

Bought 2016 XC60 in July this year and sunroof was fine for several weeks, then on a really hot day, it didn't close properly. Tried several times and it just won't close flush. The rear end sits about 10mm higher than the fixed glass (luckily it hasn't leaked - yet). Is there a way to manually adjust it so the rear end can be brought down to fit flush?
avrovulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 21:16   #10
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotia64 View Post
Recently I’ve been hearing wind noise, like a window is open a wee bit. Today I noticed the sunroof doesn’t look quite closed . I’ve opened the roof & pressed the button to close its self .
Does this look right or wrong?
Wrong, should be flush
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote