Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low Battery Message

Views : 14630

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2020, 15:53   #1
suddone

Default Low Battery Message

Over the past few weeks I’ve had the message low battery and also the stop start not working. I disconnected the positive side of the battery and left it overnight this worked for a couple of days and the stop start worked again now it’s reverted back to not working. Do I need a new battery? Have seen Halfords adverts for new battery fitting for £180 I think this is a bit steep
suddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 16:02   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Investing in a decent smart charger can often be more cost effective than battery replacement.

It depends on your circumstances. Where your car is parked, access to a power point etc.
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 16:55   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

It's an issue that has affected many of us, especially during the lockdown. As suggested above, I've been using a charger every now and again plus I did also reset the battery monitoring system a while ago which seemed to make a big difference. I decided that the system expects to see the performance of a new battery and - after 3 or 4 years - the performance of an older battery will cause the odd 'low charge' message and periods of stop/start unavailability, nevertheless the car always cranks OK and starts fine even in the depths of winter. No doubt a new battery would completely 'fix' the issue, but it's a bit of an unwanted overhead to have to buy a new one every 3 years!

There's lots of forum threads on this 'problem' with a fair bit of useful advice in this other currently active thread...
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308958
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 22:02   #4
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suddone View Post
Over the past few weeks I’ve had the message low battery and also the stop start not working. I disconnected the positive side of the battery and left it overnight this worked for a couple of days and the stop start worked again now it’s reverted back to not working. Do I need a new battery? Have seen Halfords adverts for new battery fitting for £180 I think this is a bit steep
I bought an XC60 end of last year and got the Low Battery on a number of occasions. It is quite a nuisance getting into the battery to charge it up but I discovered on here about CTEK whereby I got a different lead which allowed me to plug my CTEK into my towbar 13 pin plug. Great if you have a towbar but failing that splash out and buy a CTEK and plug it in when the car is parked up. Only about the £60 mark and great value.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 00:34   #5
Agro

I spoke to a technical rep of a battery manufacturer a little while back about regularly topping up an AGM stop/start battery. Was told that constant charging or regular maintenance charging will reduce battery life. Never heard of this before and he may have been trying to promote the sale of a new battery so can anyone debunk or confirm this?
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 08:37   #6
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble View Post
I bought an XC60 end of last year and got the Low Battery on a number of occasions. It is quite a nuisance getting into the battery to charge it up but I discovered on here about CTEK whereby I got a different lead which allowed me to plug my CTEK into my towbar 13 pin plug. Great if you have a towbar but failing that splash out and buy a CTEK and plug it in when the car is parked up. Only about the £60 mark and great value.
It takes me about 10 seconds to remove the cover over my main battery positive terminal... were you removing further panels to also access the negative terminal, rather than clip the negative battery lead onto the engine/bodywork?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
I spoke to a technical rep of a battery manufacturer a little while back about regularly topping up an AGM stop/start battery. Was told that constant charging or regular maintenance charging will reduce battery life. Never heard of this before and he may have been trying to promote the sale of a new battery so can anyone debunk or confirm this?
So long as the correct (smart) charger is used then surely this must be at least as good for the battery as being charged by the vehicle alternator? Especially on a modern car where the alternator output is further managed to only provide output during periods of deacceleration in the interests of fuel economy (which may not be the kindest charging method for the battery) and - at least on our Volvo cars - limits the normal charge level to only 80 - 85% (which again is not necessarily in the best interests of the battery).
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 10:36   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suddone View Post
you need to charge the battery for at LEAST 48 hours to recover it .
Volvo recommend charging it every 2 weeks in current conditions where cars are not being used as much as usual .

ALWAYS get a quote from volvo if you need a battery they are competitively priced .
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 17:23   #8
Dulcise

The battery should have a manufacturing date so I would check that.
Modern batteries should last between 5 and 10 years so if the battery is around this age then I would change it.
Online batteries are definitely cheapest, but a good independent battery supplier should be competitively priced and should be able to test your existing battery, although testing can be misleading and not always show up a problem so as mentioned if the battery is over 5 years I would just buy a new one...you should be looking at around £100 for a good make.
A local supplier should be able to fit free of charge or for minimal cost.
Dulcise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 20:08   #9
goodykpg

Totally agree with Clan. Volvo main dealer best price and fitted for nominal cost
goodykpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 21:37   #10
kinga

not sure if volvos are particularly sensitive to battery condition , but on my v70 I used to get the message if I left the stereo on after I turned the engine off after just a couple of mins.
Same on my xc60 I have just bought
kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kinga For This Useful Post: