Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spicer Type Differential 4.10 gear ratio '57 PV444

Views : 2728

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2020, 18:16   #11
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post

I dread the job ahead and I am a procrastinator by nature.
Then why not give yourself some space in your head and buy a second hand rear axle - fit that and you still have your car and plenty of time to pull the rear axle to bits.

If you actually get round to pulling the axle to bits you'll see how simple it really is and your confidence will grow.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 23:30   #12
blueosprey90
Master Member

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, Army.

I'm not sure I could find a replacement axle here in the USofA, but if I did, I might just rebuild that one and then install. No sense in doing the installation twice.

But even if I found an axle, I am really starting to run out of room. My entire basement is full of car parts and I rent a couple of bays in a barn. Most of the parts are used as I tend to never throw anything out. You never know when you might need to salvage a piece - and when you need it, it is likely to be unobtanium.

But stuff accumulates without regard to my storage woes. Just last week, a B16 long block and and a transmission, both of unknown condition, followed me home.

Most of my stuff is MGA, but now I have 2 B16 engines and a B20 (I think - could be a B18).

What I dread is having to disassemble the entire rear end, which mean fighting with the brake drums and the brake lines and cables and who knows what fight I will have with rusted on nuts and bolts to remove the springs, panhard bar and axle. I fear I would need to invest in some new tools just to break everything loose. And I don't have a lift, so all that work will be laying on my back on a concrete floor in cold weather. Then, shimming up the differential as necessary to put it back together might be a little daunting for me. I'm sure I could manage it - I just need to gird my loins.

Right now, I have most of the driveline out of my MGA in an effort to install a close ratio transmission. This was supposed to be a project that lassted a couple of weekends. The transmission, however, is a hybrid MGB-MGA box that didn't fit so well in the car. So I had to pull both the engine and the transmission out a second time so that I could modify the box. This all moves along rather slowly as I am a mere hobbyist pretending to be a mechanic.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 08:06   #13
Army
marches on his stomach

Well you do need a gucci Volvo hub puller but if you plan to keep the car for any length of time it is a good investment.

I completely understand about the storage and spares difficulties.

Have you done the simple things yet?

Have you taken off the back cover and looked at the gears and tried to estimate the backlash?

A fresh bit of oil might change noises too.

I hope you don't mind me saying (it sounds familiar because I tend to do this too =>) but perhaps you are over thinking the possible problems? Like me Dad says - there's no use jumping out of the way of the bus if it isn't coming your way...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 13:44   #14
blueosprey90
Master Member

No, I haven't done any further investigations.

I had a race weekend with the MGA in early October. I was planning to do an additional weekend in mid October, but my wife prevailed upon me to defer. So I decided to get a jump on next spring and install a close ratio transmission - which meant pulling the engine. Well the transmission (a hybrid MGB/MGA box) didn't exactly fit, so I had to pull everything to modify the box. It is cold today, but I may try to re-install the transmission and the engine. Then I want to fabricate a new exhaust system and raise the fuel tank. Then I'll put the car away for the winter and get back to the Volvo.

Part of me wants to put a roll bar and racing belts in the Volvo.

https://youtu.be/RCU9zeR42I8
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 12:30   #15
Derek UK
VOC Member

Great racing. I preferred the sound at the end when you didn't have the audio from both cameras combined. Good luck with you winter workshop tasks.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 13:15   #16
Vintagewrench

"Part of me wants to put a roll bar and racing belts in the Volvo."

Best news I've heard in a long time, drop a B18 and a M40 into it and come racing with us. In good mechanical condition a 444 or 544 is competitive and you will have a lot less problems with it than the British iron. Just ask John Schieffelin about the white 544 he used to race with the Club. I'd be more than willing to help you out with advice and tools

Mitchell Differentials in Shrewsbury, MA, near Wochester and not far off of the Mass Pike have rebuilt a quite a few Volvo and domestic Dana 30's and used to export them after rebuilding to a Volvo buyer across the pond.

They can rebuild your axle for a reasonable cost within two weeks and are only 2-hours away from where you live. https://mitchelldifferential.com

Headed there soon to get a Dana 30 Eaton posi, high-strength gearing, and have our Dana 30 housing checked for straightness.

Last edited by Vintagewrench; Nov 1st, 2020 at 13:18.
Vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 16:32   #17
blueosprey90
Master Member

"Best news I've heard in a long time, drop a B18 and a M40 into it and come racing with us."

Dave, I thought I was racing with you.

https://youtu.be/btg3oIDoK2I

What I really want is that maroon and black PV444 being sold by Old School Restorations in North Alabama.

https://barnfinds.com/vintage-1957-v...v444-race-car/

And thanks for the tip on the shop.

Last edited by blueosprey90; Nov 1st, 2020 at 16:41.
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 11:42   #18
Vintagewrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
"Best news I've heard in a long time, drop a B18 and a M40 into it and come racing with us."

Dave, I thought I was racing with you.

What I really want is that maroon and black PV444 being sold by Old School Restorations in North Alabama.
Of coarse you are - I'm hoping you will join the "VSCCA Team Volvo"?

I remember that day well on the video - had just finished drivers school and the only race left was the faster of our two groups. The car wasn't running well during that race and it was found afterward one that one of the SU carb jets stuck open when I choked it while starting, it was running rich and down on power. Murphy's Law strikes again....

Yes, that PV444 is a really interesting historic piece here in the US and a very inexpensive way to go racing. Thought about buying it as well, but don't have room for more than two Volvos in the shop.
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 21:29   #19
Vintagewrench

Jeff, FYI I found Mitchell quotes about $1000 including the parts to do a Dana 30.
Old Nov 3rd, 2020, 00:42   #20
blueosprey90
Master Member

Thanks. John Esposito (Quantum Mechanics) in Oxford, CT also rebuilds transmissions and differentials and he has rebuilt two MGA differentials for me. I'm sure he could do it if push comes to shove.

I suppose I took my first step today, however. Tools seem to be deep discount right now so I ordered up a 1/2" impact wrench from Granger Supply. I think I'll need an impact wrench to remove the rear axle. I was hoping to buy a set of metric impact sockets but Granger only seems to sell them individually, so I will probably check out Harbor Freight.