Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Onyx Black hard to maintain?

Views : 7488

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2020, 20:33   #1
jarm

Default Onyx Black hard to maintain?

Hi,

Is Onyx Black be hard to maintain? Does it show dirt easily?

I basically decided on a new XC90 T8 in Pebble Grey. This is the color I like most. But now, alternatively, I could get a fully loaded MY20 XC90 T8 in Onyx Black and Blonde interior for a good discount. It's a demo so would be available immediately. New order would be here in March.

Would I not like the Onyx Black? I mean it looks nice when clean, but when dirty ... not so sure.

Thanks,
Joe
jarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 21:12   #2
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarm View Post
Hi,

Is Onyx Black be hard to maintain? Does it show dirt easily?

I basically decided on a new XC90 T8 in Pebble Grey. This is the color I like most. But now, alternatively, I could get a fully loaded MY20 XC90 T8 in Onyx Black and Blonde interior for a good discount. It's a demo so would be available immediately. New order would be here in March.

Would I not like the Onyx Black? I mean it looks nice when clean, but when dirty ... not so sure.

Thanks,
Joe
It does show the dirt, yes. But not too badly. It does look lovely when clean though! If you have the time or inclination to keep it clean, then if you don't want to wait until March I would go for it.

Incidentally, I went in with the intention of buying silver and instead factory ordered the Onyx Black. I have no regrets.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 21:34   #3
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

Positives.
It makes most cars look good.
It should have better resale values as Black is a very popular colour. Even though technically Black isn't a colour at all.
If you are into cleaning your car all well and good; you will have a great excuse to be out there doing it very regularly !!
Negatives.
It looks awful if not kept clean and the dirt and bird poo etc sticks out like a sore thumb.
Swirl marks, small scratches etc are far easier to see on a black car.
Some say the car gets hotter in the sun. Not sure about that.

My experience based on a Black Merc not a Volvo. I vowed never again!

In my opinion Pebble Grey is a great colour and a much better choice especially with a Blonde interior. However I have an S60 not an XC90 and maybe that makes a difference.
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 22:07   #4
amadan

I don't have Onyx Black but Stone black. Volvo only offers black, silver, grey and white on the V60 PE and Black was the only colour I've never had before in various cars and surely it couldn't be as bad as white - right?

It's awful - I wished I'd never got black. It's despirately difficult to keep clean not to mention every imperfection shows up. I really miss the grey of my last car which always looked better clean but you never really noticed the dirt too badly.

The Black, especially on a big sided car like an estate or SUV, imho, looks great freshly cleaned and polished but 5 mins later it just looks manky.

I suspect I might be one of the worse people to have a black car as I hate dirty cars and am really picky about scratches and dents but I also really hate cleaning cars.

Each to their own - personally I love the look of it clean but it really doesnt stay like that long.
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 23:55   #5
Director76
Master Member

Had one black metallic car...never again! Instantly dirty after every wash, couldn’t just let it drip dry without towelling off as covered in water marks. Then after a while, despite very careful washing, ultra fine swirl marks all over, especially visible on flanks and bonnet.

Did look great in the showroom mind...!
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 06:48   #6
jarm

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlanders View Post
MY20 XC90 Inscription Pro T8 in Onyx Black.
Metal Mesh Inlays. Charcoal Seats. Polestar. Xenium Pack. B&W. Intellisafe Surround. Laminated and Dark Tinted Windows. Heated Rear Seats. Integrated Running Boards.
A side question, how do you like the running boards?

The demo has them also. Not a huge fan of the looks, but have a 3 year old kid, so maybe it's easier for her to climb into the car. And if I really don't like them, I assume they can be removed.

I think the demo has every possible extra, so kind of intrigued by it. It even has alcantara headliner. It's nice, but wouldn't spec it otherwise as it 1800 EUR extra.
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 06:53   #7
jarm

Here's how it looks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xxl_186754~2.jpg (299.5 KB, 120 views)
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 07:20   #8
Snoodini

Another pro of getting MY20, if you care about it, is that you don't get it limited to 112MPH as a new order for MY21 would be.

Just a point of consideration, I personally don't care about the new limit.
Snoodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 07:42   #9
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarm View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

A side question, how do you like the running boards?

The demo has them also. Not a huge fan of the looks, but have a 3 year old kid, so maybe it's easier for her to climb into the car. And if I really don't like them, I assume they can be removed.

I think the demo has every possible extra, so kind of intrigued by it. It even has alcantara headliner. It's nice, but wouldn't spec it otherwise as it 1800 EUR extra.
I like the running boards. I'm only 5'7" and I was warned they may make it more difficult to get in and out of the car as the protrusion means stretching further to avoid getting the back of your trousers covered in dirt. However with the air suspension set to automatically lower, I have not found this an issue at all. They also help me reach the roof for cleaning!

Even though I ordered the running boards as factory fit, they are actually installed by the dealer after delivery. On this basis I do not see any logical reason why they could not be removed, but I am sure others on the forum with more technical knowledge will correct me if I am wrong!
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 07:44   #10
Kenp8257

If it were me I'd get the fully spec'd demo any day of the week.

Not only all the extra's, practically new and far cheaper.

I have a R-Design MY17 S90 in Onyx Black.

Love it and no regrets.

Yes, it gets dirty after one heavy rain.... but it is what it is. Just regular hand wash with 2 bucket method. Wax once a year with Collinite 475.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20201027-074258_Gallery.jpg (150.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20201027-074229_Gallery.jpg (201.9 KB, 71 views)
Kenp8257 is offline   Reply With Quote