Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Onyx Black hard to maintain?

Views : 7455

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2020, 08:10   #11
senwar

I have had grey cars for years - Daytona Audi and currently an Osmium XC40. I love that shade of grey and ordered my XC60 in it.

However, I realised I fancied a change and loved the look of the black ones. I changed my order a week later much to the disagreement of my dad (dad, I'm 49 now I can decide you know...!). I've had 3 black cars before - a Beetle, Z4 and and X1. Every time - never again! But I've been drawn back.

My mrs has a Mini Cooper in black. Its looks brilliant, even when (regularly) dirty.

I know I'll be of the never again mindset at some point and my decision has been helped by the slight visible changes for the 60 in MY21 (I'm not a fan of chrome) so the black looked great for me.

The one you've shown looks cracking. its a tough personal decision to make. I was unsure but mainly because on my small culdesac, there are 3 black SUV's already (Velar, X5 & Discovery). However, I'm REALLY glad I chose black as another neighbour came home in a new grey XC90 a couple of weeks ago.
senwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 08:43   #12
MCV60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarm View Post
Hi,

Is Onyx Black be hard to maintain? Does it show dirt easily?

I basically decided on a new XC90 T8 in Pebble Grey. This is the color I like most. But now, alternatively, I could get a fully loaded MY20 XC90 T8 in Onyx Black and Blonde interior for a good discount. It's a demo so would be available immediately. New order would be here in March.

Would I not like the Onyx Black? I mean it looks nice when clean, but when dirty ... not so sure.

Thanks,
Joe
I had a previous gen onyx black V60 and it looked great. Personally, I would be worried about keeping the blondie interior clean.
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 08:51   #13
Fursty Ferret

Quote:
I basically decided on a new XC90 T8 in Pebble Grey.
Whatever you do, don't go for Pebble Grey. I thought I'd like it based on the marketing images but in reality it's vile.

Think of one of those Nordic Scandinavian dramas where a grizzled detective is standing moodily on a windswept beach in the rain, staring into the grey drizzle with a mournful look on his face while pondering the dead body at his feet. *That* is Pebble Grey.

Saville Grey would be a better option if you're prepared to ignore the Jim'll Fix It connotation. My next car will be ANYTHING but Pebble Grey.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fursty Ferret For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 09:05   #14
jarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV60 View Post
I had a previous gen onyx black V60 and it looked great. Personally, I would be worried about keeping the blondie interior clean.
Thanks. All my cars have had blonde or light interiors. I just wipe them with leather cream once a month or so and have never had any problems.
jarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jarm For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 09:06   #15
jarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
Think of one of those Nordic Scandinavian dramas where a grizzled detective is standing moodily on a windswept beach in the rain, staring into the grey drizzle with a mournful look on his face while pondering the dead body at his feet. *That* is Pebble Grey.
That's well said
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 09:18   #16
jarm

That's how it looks inside. Dashboard and steering wheel is covered with eco conscious Benova leather like material. Don't know if it's standard material that Volvo uses or an optional accessory.

https://www.continental-industry.com...t-range/benova
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xxl_186760.jpg (131.1 KB, 52 views)
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 09:24   #17
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov04v View Post

My experience based on a Black Merc not a Volvo. I vowed never again!
Same here. I don't wash my cars very often and the current Osmium Grey XC90 goes months between washes but still manages to look acceptable (to me).

My black Merc, by contrast, looked awful just days after washing it. And as for swirls, scratches, etc, well...

On the other hand it did look good once (for a day).
_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010739.jpg (216.3 KB, 63 views)
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 12:46   #18
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
Whatever you do, don't go for Pebble Grey. I thought I'd like it based on the marketing images but in reality it's vile.

Saville Grey would be a better option if you're prepared to ignore the Jim'll Fix It connotation. My next car will be ANYTHING but Pebble Grey.
My present car is Onyx Black, my previous one Saville Grey. ( to be honest I didn't twig the 'Jim' bit at the time). Never really warmed to the grey one but the black one winked at me and that was that. Keeping it clean is a b****r . Maybe If I ever replace it I'll go down the blue line.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 13:09   #19
BroadwayBlueshirt

I`ll never have a black car again.

My prvious XF was silver and still looked great for weeks after washing.
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 13:15   #20
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlueshirt View Post
I`ll never have a black car again.
Reading this thread now reminds me of why Marmite is also Black.........and as a great lover of Marmite my next Volvo's colour decision will be different as the Electric Silver on my last 4 Volvo's is no longer available........