Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Real world mpg - B4

Views : 6726

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2022, 10:22   #21
KeithR56

My MY22 B4P fuel economy seems to be worse since E10 petrol was introduced. I was averaging 37mpg according to my Volvo app, but that has now gone down to 35mpg. On a couple of occasions where I’ve calculated mpg full tank to full tank, I’ve been achieving around 32mpg (mixed driving).

Recent journeys have returned the following:-
3.2 miles =22.3 mpg
13.2 miles = 32.5 mpg
33 miles (motorway) = 40.4 mpg
157 miles (motorway in eco mode) = 37.1 mpg

On another forum, some B4P owners claim to regularly achieve 50 mpg on longer journeys (one claimed over 60mpg). However hard I try, I can’t get anywhere near those figures. I’ve given up trying now and just enjoy the drive.
KeithR56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2022, 11:14   #22
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithR56 View Post
My MY22 B4P fuel economy seems to be worse since E10 petrol was introduced. I was averaging 37mpg according to my Volvo app, but that has now gone down to 35mpg. On a couple of occasions where I’ve calculated mpg full tank to full tank, I’ve been achieving around 32mpg (mixed driving).

Recent journeys have returned the following:-
3.2 miles =22.3 mpg
13.2 miles = 32.5 mpg
33 miles (motorway) = 40.4 mpg
157 miles (motorway in eco mode) = 37.1 mpg

On another forum, some B4P owners claim to regularly achieve 50 mpg on longer journeys (one claimed over 60mpg). However hard I try, I can’t get anywhere near those figures. I’ve given up trying now and just enjoy the drive.

It will be, it's known E10 isn't that great mpg wise, 32 mpg overall in heavy cars is still not bad though.

Forum bragging mpg is a virus, it spreads from one one upmanship user to the next "it were this big I tell ya" I've been watching it for near 20 years now and prior to that on our fleet back in the 90's there was always this bloke who had the best one by a mile, we'd say we'd get say 40 mpg out of a 1.9 VW or Pug he'd come back with his did 60 mpg, without fail there is always one, online I think some do it just to wind up but irl I've seen these people convince themselves so take it with a pinch of salt, a fella I know just rejected an S90 T4 because in his words it was an alcoholic, petrol engines in general urban struggle to get to 25 mpg, out in the fast lane some will do a 40 mpg but most it's an early 30, that's based on a 2.0L btw, I recently had a VW 1.0L loaner and that could hit 60 mpg on the motorway, most impressive little lump but longevity wise I don't think it'll do the miles myself even if serviced properly, the turbo can only compensate for the lack of cubes so much.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2022, 11:34   #23
Mervin

Default Real World MPG B4

My MY21 B4P AWD average for driving in London is 28mpg. Calculated by actual petrol used.
Mervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2022, 12:25   #24
KeithR56

@Rustyfrog - I was in a similar position to you this time last year. I was driving a diesel XC60 which I’d owned for nearly 5 years, but having recently retired wanted something a bit smaller, cleaner, and newer.

I’ve owned a total of 7 Volvos (loved them all) and most were purchased as “nearly new” low mileage cars which saved vast amounts of money over a new car.

So the plan was to buy a six month old PHEV XC40 as soon as they started to hit the market. However, Covid happened and “nearly new” cars were selling for more than brand new ones (they still are in some places). My local dealership, Rybrooks in Preston, weren’t accepting orders for new cars, so I went to Clive Brooks in Bradford who were far more accommodating. Long story short(er), I ended up buying an 6 week old 1,000 mile ex-demo B4 Inscription from them in the exact trim and colour I’d wanted. They also did me a great deal on price plus £5k more on my trade in than The Preston dealer had offered.

The XC40 doesn’t have the luxury, limo like, feel of larger Volvos. I especially miss the big comfy seats. However, the XC40 is not uncomfortable, has a nicely designed interior, and is good to drive. The B4 engine is very quiet compared to the Diesel engines and provides a very relaxed drive. The plug in hybrid seemed like a good idea for lots of short journeys, but you have to cover a lot of miles before you recoup the initial outlay. So for me, the B4 turned out to be the best option.

Incidentally, I was at Rybrooks in Preston last week having my first service. I heard a salesman telling a young couple that they weren’t taking orders for XC40s due to the excessive and unpredictable lead times. Same as they told me 12 months ago. So you might need to shop around as I did.
Old Nov 12th, 2022, 14:27   #25
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervin View Post
My MY21 B4P AWD average for driving in London is 28mpg. Calculated by actual petrol used.
My bad I failed to spot both yours and the OP's are hybrids, my chat was about straight 2.0L petrol engines.
Old Nov 12th, 2022, 17:06   #26
KeithR56

Quote:
My bad I failed to spot both yours and the OP's are hybrids, my chat was about straight 2.0L petrol engines
I’m not sure how much difference the mild hybrid system makes to mpg in the real world. It mostly comes into play when using the stop/start system, or pulling away from junctions, so will obviously benefit most those driving in towns and cities with congested traffic.

I have the FWD version of the B4 petrol mild hybrid. I rarely drive in heavy traffic, so most of the time I’m just driving a 2.0 petrol car carrying the extra weight of the 48v battery. However, it does make the ride smoother when pulling away, and the engine starting up is almost imperceptible.
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 00:39   #27
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
Sorry no offence intended, what I really meant was the S & V's have such a great overall experience to them he should considered staying in the club rather than go Tonka, an XC60 or XC90 mind you makes this a closer run thing.

It kinda depends on what use it's going to have, if they just want an upmarket shopping trolley then an XC40 will excel, I'm bias cos I've always been a big car guy anyway, both big or small vehicles have their own strengths it's just if he's used to a V90 he's gonna feel like there has been cutbacks in what he's used to not meaning any less quality as such.
I would miss the V90, but the time is right for a change.
We used the V90 to tow a caravan, which it did well, and the space with seats folded was brilliant.
The caravan has gone, and journeys have got shorter. So the diesel has to go.
As far as being used to a big car, yes I would probably miss it as I had two biggish cars before the V90. Both being Jag XF's.
My wife had a V40, which we have now sold, as we no longer need two cars. Problem is she is frightened by the size of the V90 and wont climb into the driving seat.
We both liked the XC40. So, as long as i can find one with most of the spec. we have at the mo., I wont miss it too much.

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustyfrog For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 01:02   #28
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

@KeithR56

Rybrook, Preston is also my local dealer. Have used them for servicing and found them ok.
I didnt like the overly keen salesman who tried desperately to get me to place a deposit on a factory order without a delivery date.
Been a couple of times since to look at preowned, but didnt see anything I liked.

BTW. Loved the spec. on yours. That would suit us nicely.

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 10:08   #29
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyfrog View Post
I would miss the V90, but the time is right for a change.
We used the V90 to tow a caravan, which it did well, and the space with seats folded was brilliant.
The caravan has gone, and journeys have got shorter. So the diesel has to go.
As far as being used to a big car, yes I would probably miss it as I had two biggish cars before the V90. Both being Jag XF's.
My wife had a V40, which we have now sold, as we no longer need two cars. Problem is she is frightened by the size of the V90 and wont climb into the driving seat.
We both liked the XC40. So, as long as i can find one with most of the spec. we have at the mo., I wont miss it too much.

Not much chance of convincing her this https://www.nowcar.com/blog/archive/...tation-wagons/ as a future classic investment all purpose replace the caravan option then
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 10:50   #30
KeithR56

Quote:
Rybrook, Preston is also my local dealer. Have used them for servicing and found them ok.
I’ve been using Rybrooks (Preston and Warrington) for years and have no complaints about their first class servicing. However, I have found their Sales team not only rude and unhelpful, but they also ask top dollar whilst offering 25% less than everyone else on trade ins. It almost seems like they don’t want the business.

As they now own all of the dealerships in this part of the world, they are always my first port of call when I’m changing my car, but I’m more than happy to travel to get the right car. My last two Volvos were bought from Malton (105 miles away) and Bradford (60 miles). On both occasions I got exactly what I wanted and saved thousands on the deal (just short of £10k saved on my current car plus friendly and helpful sales team). It pays to shop around if you have the time and inclination.

I’ve just had a quick look on line and seen a really nice 72 reg B4 Ultimate in Leicester with 500 miles on the clock. If I were in the market right now I’d be straight on the phone to them. (Actually, I think I’ve just scared the wife when she saw I was looking at cars )