Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1072925

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2015, 19:15   #7681
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40DSchariot View Post
Take a look at one of my previous threads, it does sound like a very similar problem I had, there's a picture of said valve at the end.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=179816

It might be that the valve is breaking down and working intermittently.
If you stick your finger over the open end from the valve and it gets better, that's your problem I'd say
Thanks V40DSchariot. I will try your suggestion but the stop valve works okay on my car (except when the vac pipe is off on the turbo).

I've had the EGR out today and it seems fine, quite clean but a lot of crud in the manifold itself. Its worth noting that I couldn't shift the EGR a fraction of a mm until I heated up the manifold by slowly pouring a kettle full of water over it. After that it moved using water pump piers and with WD40. Its definitely worth heating up the manifold and keeping it hot if you are trying to get the EGR out. I think mines been out a few times before though and the previous owner did regular trips to Wales and back (from the South West) so it probably never got that clogged till I had it!

I'm suspecting the N75 valve now as suggested by Gatos. The other alternative is a knackered turbo.

Does anyone know how the N75 is supposed to work as mine is sending vacuum to the turbo at idle which seems wrong but may be right?

Oh and the service light came on. Its not due a service by mileage but it will be about 12 months since the last one. Is that normal or do I need to get the codes read?

Last edited by bobthecabbage; Mar 6th, 2015 at 19:19.
bobthecabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobthecabbage For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 19:26   #7682
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

The service light is only a total miles counter and there is a thread describing how to reset it using the odometer button and ignition switch:

1/ Ignition position 1 only (First click for radio only).
2/ Push in a hold the odometer button on the instrument panel.
3/ Ignition to position 2 (3 is starter).
4/ Wait until service due light flashes, then release the OD botton.
Good for 20K km before the next warning, BUT I dump oil every 10K!

PS: I've never had my EGR cleaned, only the intake (New O ring required and don't over torque the mounting bolts). The autobahn can do a real good job of cleaning an EGR!

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Mar 6th, 2015 at 19:33.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 19:32   #7683
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
The service light is only a total miles counter and there is a thread describing how to reset it using the odometer button and ignition switch:
1/ Ignition position 1 only
2/ Push in a hold the odometer button on the instrument panel
3/ Ignition to position 2 (3 is starter)
4/ Wait until service due light flashes, then release the OD botton.
Good for 20K km before the next warning, BUT I dump oil every 10K!
I have mine changed every 12 months, which works out at about 8,000 mile intervals, now.

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 20:38   #7684
Matt86
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
Jeez happy diver the size of that creature lol what is fred looks like a giant grass hopper lol lol @pommy land
A stick insect Kieran. We have them here too.

At least we don't have stick insects like this though eh! It's about the size of your hand

Although they are harmless!

Car Photos
Matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matt86 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 20:44   #7685
Matt86
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v40alex View Post
Sticky 'handbrake' is another common fault on the x40, lots of people on here have had it. I'm sure someone said (Matt86?) you can't get the bits for the caliper handbrake mechanism so don't be surprised if that was left off the list

Glad you decided to hang on to yours Danny
You can't buy the physical mechanical sections no just the pistons and rubber bits. Generally providing the reconditioned calipers are from a decent supplier they should be fine as I'd hope they would of removed all those parts and shot blasted them before putting back together. However there isn't anything between the metal holding place on the rear of the caliper and the handbrake lever it's metal on metal which we all now can seize easily.

I'd suggest to anyone the next time they are working on there brakes to remove that back plate (It's just a 10mm nut and needs a tap from a hammer to knock off) and put loads of grease on it that is resistant to water etc etc (as best you can get anyway) to delay this, I would at an interval period to note to remove this plate and just run a bit of a sandpaper over them both to clean it up and prevent future issues.

Car Photos
Matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matt86 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 20:47   #7686
GaryS40
VOC Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
A stick insect Kieran. We have them here too.

At least we don't have stick insects like this though eh! It's about the size of your hand

Although they are harmless!
Unless it falls on your head, from a great height!!!

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaryS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 20:58   #7687
happy diver
Active Member Moment

Natural habitat I would have thought druid, but then the bloke lives on bricks and cars?
'Although they are armless!' hahahahahahah

We've on a warm BBQ afternoon the skies filled with what looks like helicopters
then as they come closer you can see that they're just steaks with flies on top.
I had parked under a gum tree the day before spaceship, and was blowing off pollen
and the day before that I'm cutting the grass then thunkpft, the mower jumped over
the remaining half of some kind of small snake that lives only for short periods in grass.
Perhaps it used to be a grass snake

I thought I remembered a rubber boot between the shaft and the plate
Is there room to sandwich an oring there?
I use a blue Castrol boating grease. It's a really sticky goop that maintains consistency
Noisy or reconditioning suspension too

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile

Last edited by happy diver; Mar 6th, 2015 at 21:12. Reason: slowly becoming relevant
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to happy diver For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 21:02   #7688
ITSv40
VOC Member

I took the car to the local tip today, but having emptied the boot decided it was too good to leave so drove it back home. Having fitted a pair of new boots this week it positively purred there and back in the sunshine.

My lad has a V50 T5. Last week a dipsy blond in an old school KA decided to rear end the T5, not a good idea as the Volvo suffered some scratches to the rear bumper, but the KA was written off. The Volvo is now in the paintshop and son has a Merc C220 Bluetec as a courtesy car. He took me out for a spin in it, but not impressed. The diesel engine is super quiet and it shifts when in sport+ mode, but the ride even in comfort mode is very harsh. The seats are solid to the point that you sit very much on them rather than in them and there is no shoulder support above the small of your back. Some of the trim is very poor quality. The backs if the front seat backrests are solid moulded plastic, I have seen better trim in a tranny van. The dash by contrast is exquisite, giving the impression it is crafted from solid granite, until you notice the satnav/info screen, which basically is a tablet stuck on as an after thought. Overall, yes, it is a lovely car, but doesn't have the wow factor, son by the way prefers the T5 for sheer driving joy.

When I came back from the tip and closed the garage door, I thought, the V40 may be an old girl, but she suits me just fine.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 21:06   #7689
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy diver View Post
Natural habitat I would have thought druid, but then the bloke lives on bricks and cars?
We've on a warm BBQ afternoon the skies filled with what looks like helicopters
then as they come closer you can see that they're just steaks with flies on top.
I had parked under a gum tree the day before spaceship, and was blowing off pollen
and the day before that I'm cutting the grass then thunkpft, the mower jumped over
the remaining half of some kind of small snake that lives only for short periods in grass.
Perhaps it used to be a grass snake
Nothing wrong with added protein on you steak happy diver lol
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 21:30   #7690
happy diver
Active Member Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
Spoke to someone about how my Volvo would have never done that again as a part fails on the Vectra lol

All hail the Hero hath started this thread!

Hail Hero, that's off pestering other peoples elsewhere

Flies le chocolat anyone?

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to happy diver For This Useful Post:

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage