Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto Transmission Fluid Change

Views : 68627

Replies : 99

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2017, 14:12   #51
Finbo

Looks this may help you?

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=250156
Finbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finbo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 14:54   #52
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Just head to a Toyota dealership and get some Toyota AWF-WS. The equivalent Volvo parts are: Volvo 31256774/31256775.

or...
RAVENOL ATF T-WS Lifetime

Also note the thread that is currently getting some replies:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=250156

I might also be inclined to double-check with my local Volvo dealership to confirm the correct fluid type. Based on all the reading I've done, the change to synthetic from JWS3309 was done for 2011 onwards so pretty sure that specs quoted above are correct for your car but doesn't hurt to confirm with the experts. Just give the parts dept your VIN and they will confirm.

Note: I did a full fluid change and I THINK I went through 12 1L containers....maybe 13...

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides

Last edited by pierremcalpine; Jan 31st, 2017 at 14:57.
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 13:17   #53
Kaygeee

Default C70 D5 Geartronic 2006

I have been told by Volvo that my car needs a new gearbox - quoted over £5K for the job although did agree to 20% "goodwill" gesture towards this. Car has done 91K mainly motorway miles and I have had since 28K - purchased from a Volvo main dealer and always serviced/repaired there. Have spent many £000's over the years!

Now to the point, I am having difficulty in understanding why the gearbox should fail at this mileage - particularly as I believe it has received fairly light use because of the large number of miles driven on motorways.

I came across comments on this forum which seem to say Volvo recommend a gearbox oil changes although this has never been recommended to me. These problems only start when car is warmed up and symptoms of failure are:

-rough gear changes, particularly between 2nd and 3rd gear
-a little bit of what I believe is called "flaring up" - like clutch slipping although this has only happened a couple of times
-problems when in auto and manual mode

Any ideas would be appreciated. I believe the gearbox is the AW50/55 and it is 5 speed.

Thanks.

Kaygeee
Kaygeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 13:38   #54
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Get a local independent garage or gearbox centre to flush the box with fresh oil.
Volvo can do it but will charge more.
Fresh oil often helps clean out sticky solenoid valves which make changes rough.
Mine was doing exactly the same as yours and is now 95% better.
Also get the front gearbox torque mount changed, that will also help and is a easy job.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to luggsey For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 15:20   #55
savabill
Master Member

Plus 1 on luggsey's post, make sure that they use the correct ATF.

NOW 59 REG 2.5T V70 Ice White

SOLD 55 REG T5 V70 Ruby Red
savabill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savabill For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 16:28   #56
tt82
Forum Support Team

We've just bought an 07 C70 D5 for my mother. It's on 115k and had bad shifting but after doing an ATF change, it's now much better. We're doing another tomorrow to get rid of any gunk that the new fluid may have dislodged. Ask Volvo how long their goodwill offer stands for and see if a ATF change helps first!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 19:25   #57
RM955I
Premier Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o690DovjDAc
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 21:01   #58
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
We've just bought an 07 C70 D5 for my mother. It's on 115k and had bad shifting but after doing an ATF change, it's now much better. We're doing another tomorrow to get rid of any gunk that the new fluid may have dislodged. Ask Volvo how long their goodwill offer stands for and see if a ATF change helps first!
I'll be interested to find out the mileage between changes and the colour of the oil?
I did mine last summer and I just got another 20l from Germany to do it again for the same reason.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 08:23   #59
tt82
Forum Support Team

The first lot of oil we took out was dark brown. The second batch yesterday was a light brown after a few days of letting it clean everything out. We still have 3 litres left so it's a question now of whether we do another fluid change on the C70 or I use it to do a drop and fill on my V70. I suppose the deciding factor will be the condition of the oil in the C70 after a few days use, whether it stays a nice cherry pink or turns brown again!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2017, 13:06   #60
Kaygeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaygeee View Post
I have been told by Volvo that my car needs a new gearbox - quoted over £5K for the job although did agree to 20% "goodwill" gesture towards this. Car has done 91K mainly motorway miles and I have had since 28K - purchased from a Volvo main dealer and always serviced/repaired there. Have spent many £000's over the years!

Now to the point, I am having difficulty in understanding why the gearbox should fail at this mileage - particularly as I believe it has received fairly light use because of the large number of miles driven on motorways.

I came across comments on this forum which seem to say Volvo recommend a gearbox oil changes although this has never been recommended to me. These problems only start when car is warmed up and symptoms of failure are:

-rough gear changes, particularly between 2nd and 3rd gear
-a little bit of what I believe is called "flaring up" - like clutch slipping although this has only happened a couple of times
-problems when in auto and manual mode

Any ideas would be appreciated. I believe the gearbox is the AW50/55 and it is 5 speed.

Thanks.

Kaygeee
**UPDATE** - tried a couple of local garages who say they are "Volvo Experts" but both have told me a new gearbox is required (without even checking the symptoms). I forgot to mention earlier that I have no fault codes showing either in the car (or on Volvo main dealer computer).

I did have to get towed home by the RAC just before Christmas when the car just stopped. RAC computer when plugged in showed

System Type: GEARBOX
Name: GEARBOX - DIAGNOSIS
DTC: E000,Communication control module

and

System Type: BRAKES
Name: ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM - CONTROL UNIT BRAKE SYSTEM
DTC: 0115,SWM (Steering Wheel Module)
DTC: 0100,Engine control unit
DTC: E003,Control module
DTC: 0097,Control unit central electronic (CEM)
System Type: STEERING
Name: POWER STEERING - ELECTRICAL POWER STEERING
DTC: 0080,Steering angle sensor, incorrect signal
DTC: E003,Module Configuration Failure
DTC: E000,(CAN) and (ECU) communications failure
DTC: 0082,Engine status, incorrect signal
System Type: IMMOBILISER
Name: IMMOBILISER - DIAGNOSE (CEM)
DTC: E000,control unit
DTC: DE49,SWM (Steering Wheel Module)
DTC: DF17,CAN-L, high speed n

The only problem turned out to be part of the wiring loom that had touched the radiator and melted through the insulation!

Now have a quote for recon gearbox about £2k but not sure it's worth spending that sort of money?

Anyone got any ideas?

How much do you think I could get selling the car as it is. It is a Volvo C70, 2006 D5 SE LUX Geartronic Celestial Blue. Has winter pack and full Volvo service history. Dynaudio sound and power front seats with memory. Bodywork in good condition and four decent tyres.

Thanks.
Kaygeee is offline   Reply With Quote