Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto Transmission Fluid Change

Views : 68636

Replies : 99

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2021, 12:59   #81
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

+1 for a good drive between dumps, the fluid in the differential chamber, probably the largest accumulation, wont be touched much otherwise.

Clearing the adaptation memory also highly advisable.

I've also found, that if the fluid was very old, it can help to clear the adaptation memory once again after about 5k to 10k.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 18:39   #82
Tony Rama

Thank you Sam1 and Tannaton for the above advice.
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 18:45   #83
Tony Rama

Contacted Horton Motors today about an oil change reset, adaptions and any software updates.

Occasionally the box thumps into D and there is a slight hesitation on some changes. Apparently, this is a well known issue arising from the original software having glitches. I was told Volvo issued an update in 2016 which cures it.
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 19:20   #84
Stu B
Master Member

I’d agree with the method of doing some mileage between drain/fills too for circulation of the oil. I’ve always done a few hundred miles (or more) between sump dumps where possible.

Interested to see how you get on with any software updates, Tony - keep us posted.

I wonder if there’s a way to see in VIDA which TCM software version you have and therefore whether updates are available? My car was last dealer serviced with the previous owner a 4-5 years ago, but I assume would have been updated with any updates then and doubt more would have been released since as it’s a 2009 model?
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 19:33   #85
Tony Rama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu B View Post
I’d agree with the method of doing some mileage between drain/fills too for circulation of the oil. I’ve always done a few hundred miles (or more) between sump dumps where possible.

Interested to see how you get on with any software updates, Tony - keep us posted.

I wonder if there’s a way to see in VIDA which TCM software version you have and therefore whether updates are available? My car was last dealer serviced with the previous owner a 4-5 years ago, but I assume would have been updated with any updates then and doubt more would have been released since as it’s a 2009 model?
Will keep you updated. I'll see if I can check the software version before shelling out for the 2016. I doubt it has been updated since the service history with the previous owner, since 2015, was not Volvo, and I wouldn't have the D thump and hesitation problem if it had.
Old Aug 26th, 2021, 11:00   #86
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I had an issue with the gearbox thumping and banging between P, D and R on my 2015 XC60 at 100k miles and the software update completely cured it. It seems counter intuitive that a software update would fix something that you would think was a mechanical issue but it did, 35k miles later it's not happened again.

And yes you can check the software version with VIDA on the TCM, but you need an appropriately licensed version to purchase and install new varsions (i.e. dealer).

Although a service at the dealer should include software updates, mine had full main dealer history (at the same dealer) and the TCM had never been updated to either the service software update does not cover all modules or the dealer was naughty...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Aug 26th, 2021 at 11:02.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2021, 16:22   #87
Tony Rama

Pre-update update. Checked car with Volvo main agent. No Volvo dealer had seen it since 2013. Booked it in with reputable indi (Horton Motors). Graham at Horton explained that the 2016 software update will transform the box. Smooth changes and no more thumps into D and R. They will also reset the counter and do the adaptions. This will happen on September the 8th. Watch this space, and thank you to everyone for advice.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 20:37   #88
Tony Rama

The actual update. Horton Cars did the software update, adaptions and oil counter reset today. I had previously changed the ATF and the gears were a little smoother. Before the update the lower 3 gears had some slight hesitation on "up" changes and there were occasional thumps into D and R. Upon driving the 40 miles home, the up changes became progressively smoother until almost imperceptible apart from rev changes. So far, no thumps into D and R. I am very happy with the results and well worth the investment.

Last edited by Tony Rama; Sep 8th, 2021 at 20:40.
Tony Rama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tony Rama For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2023, 00:47   #89
FORTYVALVE

Many thanks for MartinK and others.

I just bought an XC70 with an unexpected gearbox problem showing up within hours, after a perfect 30 minute test drive, and immaculate 2007 car (00-07 mod) with TF-80 box.

on the 4 hour drive home, I was getting an "engine system service required" message as well as "gearbox service". It was sluggish on m/way hills, dropping from 70 to 60 with little response to throttle at that point. It seems to be fine, apart from a slight judder at about 30/40mph going up though the gears, until it gets warmed up.

Various other warning lights went out when I replaced the battery.

I flushed the gearbox fluid yesterday. Weirdly, I was only getting 1.5L and not 3L from the drain plug. When this first happened, I thought I'd found my problem: just not enough fluid in there. But then when I left the centre (T40) plug out, I got less than 2L in before it started dribbling from the level tube on the main drain plug. Not 3L!

Although I know the previous owner did some towing, the fluid was not black and does not smell bad. He said he'd done it 3 years ago, and not many miles since, which the records support. Sure the flushing has brightened the fluid a bit, but it's made no difference to the way the car goes or feels.

Do I consider changing the solenoid/valves? Can I do that myself without taking out the box?! Any suggestions as to what is going on will be gratefully received.

Very many thanks,

Forty

p.s. I have just read a definition of flare-ups, as I worked through these posts. Think this is one of my symptoms. I hadn't read all of these posts following MartinK's original - took me a while but I now see that maybe just maybe a "software update" may help, and resetting adaptations as well as fluid count after flushing the transmission out? Probly just wishful thinking on my part... Thanks again.

Last edited by FORTYVALVE; Feb 18th, 2023 at 02:04.
FORTYVALVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2023, 08:31   #90
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Lots of suggestions incoming, I'm sure (and plenty in search), but it's very sad when these 'coincidences' happen immediately after buying a car - you did everything right in terms of that lengthy test
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post: