Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Soot Filter Full Warning

Views : 9281

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2015, 17:06   #1
Daz Newell

Default Soot Filter Full Warning

Could anyone help me out on this please.
This warning comes up if I try and accelerate too quickly....it has been showing up a few weeks now and I have done a 15-20 minute motorway journey till the message clears but it comes back again the next time I press too heavy on fuel pedal.
I have had it plugged in at local garage and it was at 2000 revs for approx. 50 mins and then went to normal but still the message returns on acceleration.
Now the engine warning light came on today for the first time with this message.
Anybody else had this problem.
Daz Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2015, 17:37   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz Newell View Post
Could anyone help me out on this please.
This warning comes up if I try and accelerate too quickly....it has been showing up a few weeks now and I have done a 15-20 minute motorway journey till the message clears but it comes back again the next time I press too heavy on fuel pedal.
I have had it plugged in at local garage and it was at 2000 revs for approx. 50 mins and then went to normal but still the message returns on acceleration.
Now the engine warning light came on today for the first time with this message.
Anybody else had this problem.
your journeys are probably not long and constant speed enough to regenerate the particle filter . The soot filter full message is for you , it isn't at fault at that stage , you should go for a 30 minute run at a constant 50 mph if you can and that should clear it . But if you are in the city without doing any longer journeys it will happen again .. If you ignore the message the light will come on and you will need the garage to sort it . They will do a forced regeneration ..
On the other hand you could have a faulty particle flter pressure sensor , so you will need the dealers help anyway now .. They will look at the fault codes and see what is wrong .
Old Oct 31st, 2015, 18:53   #3
Daz Newell

ok cheers....with the engine symbol now coming on is that something major or can I still try the journey
Old Oct 31st, 2015, 18:55   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
ok cheers....with the engine symbol now coming on is that something major or can I still try the journey
No it is too late , The car can no longer regenerate itself to clean out the Particle filter , it needs the help of the dealer to do this.
If ignored the soot will continue to build up and a new particle filter will be required .
Old Oct 31st, 2015, 19:38   #5
Daz Newell

just my luck...I have a 1 hour round trip to do tomorrow am I ok to do this...the speed limit is restricted to 50mph on the motorway at the moment tho so will this be ok
Old Oct 31st, 2015, 20:17   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
just my luck...I have a 1 hour round trip to do tomorrow am I ok to do this...the speed limit is restricted to 50mph on the motorway at the moment tho so will this be ok
as i said , the car has given up trying , it will only continue to build up soot in the particle filter now and may need a new particle filter if you neglect to get it sorted , which will cost a considerable sum .. .. At this point in time the garage can revive it .
Old Oct 31st, 2015, 20:35   #7
Daz Newell

ok cheers for your help
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 08:02   #8
Daz Newell

I went on the motorway yesterday and did 50mph at 2500 revs.....the dash lights went out after about 30 mins.... I give it some throttle again and seemed ok so I gave it a little bit more and lights came back on,another 20 mins at 50mph and 2500 revs and signs went off again and again I was able to manoeuvre the car quickly....is it a possibility that I may need to do a few of these journeys to clear the filter or has anyone used the dpf cleaner that is sold on ebay.
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 12:22   #9
GreenBrick
SilverBrick Lives!

If this is not enough to put people of buying diesels, I don't know what is. How much fuel is wasted (and pollution produced) just trying to keep a diesel "clean", when you have to do an extra "special" journey to keep the exhaust pipe happy?
And when the DPF gives up completely you are faced with a bill of hundreds or thousands.
A sales rep friend of mine was told he wasn't driving his Audi enough to keep the filter clean. He was doing over 1000 miles a week on motorways. How much do you need?
GreenBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 18:30   #10
Muzza80

Main reason I went for a facelifted 2005 with the older pre-dpf 163bhp engine.
Muzza80 is offline   Reply With Quote