Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dash cam approved option for new Volvo?

Views : 30454

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2020, 18:52   #71
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
Don’t think Audi or BMW would agree with you as they both offer them. In fact in the 3 series M340i it’s standard.
Same with Tesla, built into the car, probably the same ones it uses for the automatic safety stuff and they seem to cover all angles, so front rear and sides
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2020, 21:27   #72
BiggyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterdesign View Post
I’ve got the surround cameras and I don’t know if any one has tried it, but selecting the front camera only gives you an excellant view forward. Easily good enough to act as a dash cam. There is also a large spare capacity on the internal hard drive. Surely it would be fairly easy for volvo to combine the two.
I agree - don’t see why they couldn’t and as others have said, I would happily have paid a premium for factory installed.

I wonder though if Volvo are worried about brand reputation. They have Pilot Assist, and say that it malfunctions and either causes an accident or fails to avoid one, and their own onboard footage could be analysed - it could undermine the Volvo safety image. I reckon there are fewer people using aftermarket cams than would have used a factory option, so whilst they are still exposed to this risk, the likelihood of it happening is lower by not offering it.
The Following User Says Thank You to BiggyG For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2020, 23:36   #73
Pipps

The only possible explanation that I can see is that Volvo, like many manufacturers, would not be willing to release new dash cam technology until it has been sufficiently tested and they are simply not willing to invest in that research and development expenditure yet, if ever.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 12:17   #74
Boatie
Master Member

On this and other similar threads the fact that 'Volvo don't approve' the fitting of dashcams keeps popping up. When did Volvo themselves last say this? I think I once saw something dated around 2016 along the lines of they were looking into the matter. When I say Volvo I mean the manufacturer themselves, not a dealer or unconfirmed 'spokesman/woman'
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 14:14   #75
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipps View Post
The only possible explanation that I can see is that Volvo, like many manufacturers, would not be willing to release new dash cam technology until it has been sufficiently tested and they are simply not willing to invest in that research and development expenditure yet, if ever.
Dead right, Volvo are a car manufacturer not a supplier of ancillary options unrelated to the main components of the product that they are responsible for the manufacture of.
Dashcams are pure tech that is constantly marching forward and as such come in all various different options/sizes/configurations/etc and are very user specific. Whilst many Volvo dealerships find it hard enough to explain to new customers the basic of the Sensus system...........I would be fearful if they also have to setup/instruct new owners of all the settings & procedures of a new Dashcam at handover time.

Best just to leave any Volvo dealership involvement to wiring the device into the car’s system if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, or not happy with a basic cigarette lighter plug connection.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 15:23   #76
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
Dead right, Volvo are a car manufacturer not a supplier of ancillary options unrelated to the main components of the product that they are responsible for the manufacture of.
Dashcams are pure tech that is constantly marching forward and as such come in all various different options/sizes/configurations/etc and are very user specific. Whilst many Volvo dealerships find it hard enough to explain to new customers the basic of the Sensus system...........I would be fearful if they also have to setup/instruct new owners of all the settings & procedures of a new Dashcam at handover time.

Best just to leave any Volvo dealership involvement to wiring the device into the car’s system if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, or not happy with a basic cigarette lighter plug connection.
The dealer would not hard wire it though, that is part of the problem. They advised me they were not recommended or supported by Volvo due to a couple of problems with interference with the sensor and they were not permitted to install it for me. I don't believe it was just the lazy option either, as this was during the dealer fit of other items, such as the illuminated running boards, polestar optimisation etc.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 15:45   #77
Pipps

It is all just nonsense. They are simply covering their back. Just ignore them and carry on like everyone else has.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 15:55   #78
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipps View Post
It is all just nonsense. They are simply covering their back. Just ignore them and carry on like everyone else has.
I'm planning on doing so. Just need lockdown to finish then I can actually drive the car. Still only got 27 miles on the clock and I've had it a month now!
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 18:55   #79
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlanders View Post
I'm planning on doing so. Just need lockdown to finish then I can actually drive the car. Still only got 27 miles on the clock and I've had it a month now!
I fired up my engine today for the 1st time in a month to do some serious ‘man’ shopping at my local B&Q - after too many weeks of walking into town for food shopping it was such a wonderful experience to blow away the dust on my recently highly polished motor.
In fact it was such a delight when a key item I needed for my repair project was out of stock and I had to drive down the M54 to another store to purchase the final items - how many folk can actually say they are ‘delighted’ to be forced to drive a few extra miles?!?
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 12:31   #80
BillyJay

I’ve posted this before, but I found that the easiest way to hardwire a dashcam was to plug it into the OBD socket. For about £11 you can get a cable with a switch that lets you have it live all the time or it switches off with the ignition.
My nextbase 512 has only caused one problem so far - I attached it with the sucker and it fell off and set the alarm off.
BillyJay is offline   Reply With Quote