Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 B5 engine seems under powered

Views : 3239

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2021, 00:23   #11
Cull06
Master Member

Im sorry - But you’re driving a truck of an suv, a big one at that, with a 2.0litre engine.

I’ve driven it myself and found it fine for getting around and indeed it’s pretty much a lush car. But it’s not a car for acceleration and quick overtakes.

If you’re coming from a 700 torque tuned Touareg then I’m not surprised it feels sluggish..!
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 07:58   #12
Director76
Master Member

If you need a rocket ship XC90, T8 is your only option.

And that’s as a straight line performer, curves are not its natural habitat...
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 10:40   #13
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrismccann View Post
Is the turbo not being spooled up by the electric motor? I would think the engine is similar to the D5 except for electric motor and whilst their BHP and Torque are the same their official 0-62 times are different (B5 being faster).
No, turbo is unassisted on B engines - unlike the PowerPulse engines, where compressed air assists the turbo spoolup.

Electric motor is actually a starter-generator, which just assists the ICE on startup and takeoff and acts as a generator for recuperation.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 14:06   #14
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
No, turbo is unassisted on B engines - unlike the PowerPulse engines, where compressed air assists the turbo spoolup.

Electric motor is actually a starter-generator, which just assists the ICE on startup and takeoff and acts as a generator for recuperation.

Hi Haldex, many thanks for this. Would you be able to share the 'next page' referenced in the diagram please? I am interested in what it says about 'Improved take-off'.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 17:09   #15
apnicolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
Hi Haldex, many thanks for this. Would you be able to share the 'next page' referenced in the diagram please? I am interested in what it says about 'Improved take-off'.
It says that if you choose VTOL on the Drive Mode Select switch you can replicate a Harrier Jump Jet.
I wish....
V90 Cross Country D4 2017 Polestar, XC90 D5 ES 2014, C70 T5 SE 2008, S60 2.0T SE2006, V40 1.9D SE 2004, S40 1.8GDI SE 2002
apnicolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 19:11   #16
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
Here it is, but it’s just a volvo press release, you won’t find instructions on how to unleash some hidden mild hybrid powers

https://www.sveafordon.com/media/510...on18w09_re.pdf

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 10:36   #17
Chrismccann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post

Is this why there is no polestar option as you’re basically getting a 10bhp boost anyway via the electric motor?

I suppose in summary I’m just surprised at how laggy it feels for a car with a theoretical 0-60/62 in 7.1/7.6 secs stat. It’s not going to be a problem much though. Oddly on my initial test (limited miles in it) on the motorway at 65mph in pilot assist mode it only averaged 35mpg whilst the Touareg with its 3l v6 would have gotten 40mpg over a 20 mile out and then back again drive.
Chrismccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 10:59   #18
Vinesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrismccann View Post
Is this why there is no polestar option as you’re basically getting a 10bhp boost anyway via the electric motor?

I suppose in summary I’m just surprised at how laggy it feels for a car with a theoretical 0-60/62 in 7.1/7.6 secs stat. It’s not going to be a problem much though. Oddly on my initial test (limited miles in it) on the motorway at 65mph in pilot assist mode it only averaged 35mpg whilst the Touareg with its 3l v6 would have gotten 40mpg over a 20 mile out and then back again drive.
Chris - Have you looked at how many miles you are getting on a tank - ignore the comparative read outs in the car for a moment.... i have a B5D XC60 and used to have an A6 2L Diesel. Roughly, i am getting the same number of miles from the same amount of fuel - accounting for different sized fuel tanks. However the readouts in the cars are very different - on a long run in the XC60 the car reads 37-39mpg-ish and in the Audi it would show 43-45mpg for the same journey - i cant explain it, I'm not sure which is right or wrong.
Vinesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 00:05   #19
naveedy

Default B5 engine petrol mild hybrid

Its a great car and I think you can get a good amount of oomph given its size

I travelled recently on a long journey averages around 34-36 mpg

Really is comfortable.

So far my 2020 Momentum superb no probs
naveedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 14:19   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Take any car manufacturers figures with a pinch of salt, like the MPG figures, the 0 - 60 times will be at optomized performance levels and not what you are likely to get in real world use.
Manufacturers are not allowed to quote fuel consumption figures, the figures you see are Government figures, the purpose is only to compare one make and model against another as they all do exactly the same Government computer controlled road test.
Things causing variables would be, hills, road surface ,different drivers, ambient temperature and weather conditions, Tyre pressures, air pressure on the day, and how much extra weight the car has on board. all these factors can raise or lower fuel consumption and if one day you get them all negative and the next day they are all positive it can make the difference .

Volvo quote Performance figures? I thought they left that to the magazines... ?