Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reasonable fuel consumption?

Views : 8513

Replies : 106

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2022, 20:52   #1
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Default Reasonable fuel consumption?

Last week a 322-mile round trip to Devon gave us an opportunity to see how fuel consumption on a run might compare with what we see on local runs of less than 10 miles each way.

This mileage consisted of roughly 240 miles of M5, the remaining 80-odd being crawling through towns, villages and narrow country lanes for a week.

The true mpg for the whole trip (brim-full to brim-full check) was just over 36mpg which I must confess is a bit less than I'd hoped for. Then again, it's a big lump of car and was loaded to the gunwhales with 2 adults, piles of luggage and 30kg of dog.

On the return trip (approx 20 miles A-roads plus 100 miles of M5) I reset the OBC before setting out and it reported 45mpg by the time I got home. Reasonable consumption d'you think?
Incidentally, I saw a VERY smart V70 in Bridgewater Services Friday afternoon. It had a 'V70' registration. Unfortunately I wasn't able to park and get a closer look. Wonder if it's someone on the forum?

Last edited by Pidgeonpost; Oct 8th, 2022 at 21:01.
Pidgeonpost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pidgeonpost For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2022, 22:17   #2
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgeonpost View Post
Last week a 322-mile round trip to Devon gave us an opportunity to see how fuel consumption on a run might compare with what we see on local runs of less than 10 miles each way.

This mileage consisted of roughly 240 miles of M5, the remaining 80-odd being crawling through towns, villages and narrow country lanes for a week.

The true mpg for the whole trip (brim-full to brim-full check) was just over 36mpg which I must confess is a bit less than I'd hoped for. Then again, it's a big lump of car and was loaded to the gunwhales with 2 adults, piles of luggage and 30kg of dog.

On the return trip (approx 20 miles A-roads plus 100 miles of M5) I reset the OBC before setting out and it reported 45mpg by the time I got home. Reasonable consumption d'you think?
Incidentally, I saw a VERY smart V70 in Bridgewater Services Friday afternoon. It had a 'V70' registration. Unfortunately I wasn't able to park and get a closer look. Wonder if it's someone on the forum?
I get 70MPG from my second car and on a good run to Devon I managed 65 so I wouldn’t expect a great deal of MPG on that type of run
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 08:04   #3
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

What's got a Hillzlenut in every bite? Devon!

That's why the mpg was better on the way home Pidg...no hills.

The hills are alive with the sound of higher rpm's.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 08:11   #4
yostumpy

Just got back from deepest Cornwall, to Kent, albeit in an xc70. On way down , strong headwind, down A 303, and running around the ‘lumpy land’ 477 miles netted me an accurate 40.3 mpg (41.8 readout) , but coming home on M5/ M4/M3. with some holdups, ( haven’t filled up yet, but must be over 300 miles) has given me a readout of 49.2 mpg which will equate to around 48.0 mpg accurate. Not too bad, as this includes one last day running around and at getting stuck in major road works just out side Newquay, for 40 mins, stop start stuff.

As an aside, I too saw a stunning V70 P2, but it was on the hard shoulder. I glanced as it went past, as you do, and …well….both front wheels were pointing in at their max, at the front. Tie rod must have come off, goodness knows how he managed to steer it off the motorway. All I can think is that all the time he was rolling they almost tracked straight, but when he touched the brakes they toed right in. Scary stuff. Longish skid marks behind him. ‘Volvo for life’ nearly not.

Last edited by yostumpy; Oct 9th, 2022 at 08:14.
yostumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yostumpy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 12:29   #5
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I get 70MPG from my second car and on a good run to Devon I managed 65 so I wouldn’t expect a great deal of MPG on that type of run
That's pretty amazing MPG. Perhaps I shouldn't be too disappointed given the amount of time I seemed to spend in the first 3 gears, and that spent reversing in lanes for lorries, buses, and Chelsea tractors, the latter of which don't appear to have the facility to reverse.
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 12:34   #6
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostumpy View Post

As an aside, I too saw a stunning V70 P2, but it was on the hard shoulder. I glanced as it went past, as you do, and …well….both front wheels were pointing in at their max, at the front. Tie rod must have come off, goodness knows how he managed to steer it off the motorway. All I can think is that all the time he was rolling they almost tracked straight, but when he touched the brakes they toed right in. Scary stuff. Longish skid marks behind him. ‘Volvo for life’ nearly not.
Your consumption seems pretty good too - close to what I used to get with our 3.0l diesel BMW.

That must have been a terrifying incident for the P2 driver. Probably a few skid marks inside the car too.
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 18:29   #7
pjm84

Sounds a little heavy.

155miles today at 47.8mpg on the lie-o-meter in an XC70 D4 AWD (2013). I'll check it when I fill up as I had a 2005 XC70 that was a blatant liar.

I'm just under a quarter of a tank. Covered so far 550miles @ 43.6mpg (long trips and short hops). Range to empty is showing 195miles.

Fuel tank is "70litres" so its close unless it drops like a brick for the remaining amount.
pjm84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pjm84 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 21:33   #8
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

I've had a few cars with wildly optimistic OBC figures for fuel consumption which is why I tend to go for the 'full-to-full' check. Not that I'm obsessive about it - just like to check from time to time to get any idea of where all the money is going.
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 11:24   #9
simboc2004
SimboC2004

I have recently started checking my car's fuel consumption on every tank, even using (if I can) the same pump to fill up. I am finding (on local country journeys - no A roads) that I am getting 40mpg if I take it carefully - and 36mpg if I don't. No long journeys yet since I started doing this, so will report back when I do. This is on a 2.0litre, 5 pot D3/4 manual. And I always have the climate control on - set to 21C...

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simboc2004 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 11:55   #10
100K+
Premier Member

In past 2 weeks have been from home and back to Lincolnshire (182 mile A1M +A17, 125 mile Huddersfield, A1M + M62, and 150 mile Manchester Airport A1M+ M62. Cruise set at 65mph to keep away from HGV's. According to car average mpg 54.7. Also did about 10-15 miles around doors, but doubt it affected mpg greatly. Over optimistic computer probably more a factor.
Car is 2014 V70 D5 MANUAL.
cheers Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post: